• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Torque Wrench - What to buy?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
It all depends what you need it for.
I started off with just a Craftsman 3/8 drive 20-150ftlb "foot pounds"

Well then I needed to torque a bolt to 170.
Got a 1/2" drive Mac from the pawn shop that goes 35-250ftlb

Needed a series of 6mm manifold bolts torqued in inch lbs so I got a 3/8 drive Craftsman 20-150inlb "inch pounds"
I wish it were 1/4 drive

Needed a bolt torqued at a funny angle and coincidentally came across an Armstrong flex head 3/8 drive 20-140 ftlb for a Benjamin

Getting a new job and having two full sets of tools now I had to get another 1/2" drive beater craftsman torque wrench

Bearing preloads can't use clicker type wrenches so I have a 3/8 ftlb beam torque wrench, a 1/4 drive inlb beam, and a bigger sk dial 0-600 inlb 3/8 drive

The other day I needed 450 I I got a cheap powerbuilt 3/4 drive 50-600 ftlb and it seems real nice for the price

I was out on the road a while back without one and had to buy a walmart one to get me by too!

The takeaway here is no matter what brand you are looking for, every brand makes a variety of combinations of wrenches. Make shure your choice covers a broad range of torque and the drive size is the best fit for what your using it for.
General snowmobile engine building is mostly 3/8 drive, except for the magneto and clutch which are definitely 1/2. Well if your real anal about all the 6mm bolts that would definitely take a 1/4 drive inlb.

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I'll add one more to Josh's list, a 3/4 torqure wrench capable of up to 300-320 ft/lbs if you plan on R&Ring the spider on the primary clutch.

It all depends what you need it for.
I started off with just a Craftsman 3/8 drive 20-150ftlb "foot pounds"

Well then I needed to torque a bolt to 170.
Got a 1/2" drive Mac from the pawn shop that goes 35-250ftlb

Needed a series of 6mm manifold bolts torqued in inch lbs so I got a 3/8 drive Craftsman 20-150inlb "inch pounds"
I wish it were 1/4 drive

Needed a bolt torqued at a funny angle and coincidentally came across an Armstrong flex head 3/8 drive 20-140 ftlb for a Benjamin

Getting a new job and having two full sets of tools now I had to get another 1/2" drive beater craftsman torque wrench

Bearing preloads can't use clicker type wrenches so I have a 3/8 ftlb beam torque wrench, a 1/4 drive inlb beam, and a bigger sk dial 0-600 inlb 3/8 drive

The other day I needed 450 I I got a cheap powerbuilt 3/4 drive 50-600 ftlb and it seems real nice for the price

I was out on the road a while back without one and had to buy a walmart one to get me by too!

The takeaway here is no matter what brand you are looking for, every brand makes a variety of combinations of wrenches. Make shure your choice covers a broad range of torque and the drive size is the best fit for what your using it for.
General snowmobile engine building is mostly 3/8 drive, except for the magneto and clutch which are definitely 1/2. Well if your real anal about all the 6mm bolts that would definitely take a 1/4 drive inlb.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Whatever you buy just make sure to zero the lbs out on the clicker when not using it. Like others said, quality is what you want in a torque wrench. Id rather have a used quality box truck brand recalibrated than a Harbor freight or craftsman. Ive had complete failures with both.

Premium Features