• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New SPOT SAT PHONE!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Just picked one up last night. After comparing it to the Iridium, Thuraya, Inmarsat,etc it seemed like a reasonable alternative.

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
Here it is in all its glory! Service plan is a little spendy but how do you value your safety/survival?

1005576_483063055107870_1522993588_n.jpg

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
ROK when you get it hooked up let us know how the call quality is. I love when the cool tech gets cheap enough to own and use!

P
Dec 3, 2007
I am a spot Dealer. Voice quality is almost as good as cellular. Signal is also pretty much a non issue. You do need a fairly clear view of the sky.

Anyone interested in any spot gear shoot me a PM. My dealer info is also on spot's website. Electric Waves in Sask Canada.

subseaaddicted

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
PG
I did a little research and it looks like it uses the Globalstar sat network.

Does this mean u have to use the call scheduler like the Globalstar phones ????

Anyone who has tried to use a Globalstar phone up north in the mountains, will know how spotty and frustrating there service is.

I love pulling out my iridium and handing it over to the guy so he can make his call, after he has been fighting with his Globalstar for the last hour trying to get a signal.

I would warn anyone looking into the SPOT phone to do there research very carefully,especially if u are going to use it as a potentially life saving device.

I understand how appealing the price difference between Globalstar / SPOT devices and the iridium phones are. But if u compare with the iridium northern lights package (200min 180$ for 6 months) its really not that bad and for me the reliability of the iridium to make a call when I want to make a call is all that matters.

Anyone who has some first hand information with the SPOT feel free to completely destroy my post.......

P
Dec 3, 2007
Yes, it does use the globalstar network. As does the spot handheld emergency beacon. You DO NOT need to use the call times tool anymore. The new network is pretty much done and works very well. I sell both the iridium and globalstar/SPOT phones. I personally use a spot phone. Call quality is that of a cellular device. No delay and very clear. Iridium does seem to have a little better coverage but is very delayed and digital sounding. After the price of the phone they are comparable in yearly pricing. Globalstar/spot have some plans that are better for monthly payment scedules. And also some higher user annual plans.

Here is the coverage map for spot http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=109

Most if not all spot dealer's have a demo phone that you can take outside and make a phone call or 2. Then you can make a decision.

N

nytro circus

Dec 29, 2009
Clarkston,Wa
I purchased a spot phone about a month ago and have tried it out 4 or 5 time at our cabin in hells canyon.

- Typically takes 5-10 minutes to find service.
- Drops calls after 20-40 seconds on 3 of the 5 calls not moving and clear skys.

I will be testing it out up in the mountains in a couple of weeks. Hopefuly things improve or I will be keeping my spot connect.

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
I purchased a spot phone about a month ago and have tried it out 4 or 5 time at our cabin in hells canyon.

- Typically takes 5-10 minutes to find service.
- Drops calls after 20-40 seconds on 3 of the 5 calls not moving and clear skys.

I will be testing it out up in the mountains in a couple of weeks. Hopefuly things improve or I will be keeping my spot connect.

Real world feedback right there, thanks for that. Looking forward to hear how it works in the mountains.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Nitro keep us posted.

I would think the service would be the same, except for a possible change in antenna, between the spot unit and the standard globalstar phone. Assuming they are both using the same globalstar satellites.

I know globalstar service is MUCH better today than it was a year or two ago. Still a bit sketchy at times but much better than sending smoke signals.

Where did you get your spot unit? If local I might run down and see if I can try one out.

Thanks

Thunder

Premium Features