• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part I 2013 POLARIS RMK.. COMING FEBRUARY 10th, 2012 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Being an extrusion they would almost have to be the same width, unless they CNC machine some off the inside edge for some taper.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
They are extruded aluminum, for the same weight it will be stronger. My guess is that they are the same if not lighter as it appears to be less overall material than the stamped sheet. My only concern is if they will be brittle as extruded aluminum doesn't really bend.

trooper... I'll bet they use a trick alloy like 7129 t-5 for these... that is what rails are made from.. and some bumpers on cars/truck/equipment.... I've seen plenty of bent rails that did not crack (I've seen some cracked rail too to be fair)!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Being an extrusion they would almost have to be the same width, unless they CNC machine some off the inside edge for some taper.

Count the peaks on the tread at the front and rear... they are tapered... I'd bet they are machined ... and they have a radius on the bottom to meet the tunnel with some good surface area for bonding.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Count the peaks on the tread at the front and rear... they are tapered... I'd bet they are machined ... and they have a radius on the bottom to meet the tunnel with some good surface area for bonding.

Good eye! Mountainhorse. Explains why they didn't opt for the tunnel flange stiffener. Also looks like a cast or forged? (possibly hydro-formed but probably not) kick up with lightening holes looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features