• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part I 2013 POLARIS RMK.. COMING FEBRUARY 10th, 2012 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Holy crap! Its like polaris read my mind on the boards . I have been working on billet boards for my 11 pro .

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Please add a couple oz.'s of dielectric gel in the electrical plugs. :face-icon-small-win

Please take the razor edge off the stuff under the hood....or include a box of bandaids. :face-icon-small-win

Man, I'm quite the complainer today!! :behindsofa:

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
those boards will be a HUGE improvement but i think a set of airframes, or similar, would still work better. they need to be coated and i bet the still collect more snow than the round stock airframes. but the real question will be if the difference is enough to justify the $500 expense to upgrade. as most know, i REALLY love my airframes and consider it the best "mod" i've EVER done but it might be tough to justify the upgrade... time will tell.

pv

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
interesting read..anyone doubt that polaris is back on top of their game in mountain sleds?
Snowmobile sales increased 63 percent during the 2011 fourth quarter compared to the prior year’s fourth quarter. The fourth quarter 2011 increase in sales reflects significantly reduced snowmobile dealer inventory levels entering the 2011 - 2012 selling season compared to the prior year resulting in increased orders from dealers, as well as the impact of a shift in shipments of snowmobiles later in the year as the Company chose to ship its snowmobiles closer to expected consumer demand compared to last year. Polaris’ North American snowmobile retail sales to consumers in the 2011 season-to-date period were up high single digits percent over the 2010 season-to-date period despite the lack of snowfall in many parts of the snowbelt regions of the United States. North American dealer inventories of snowmobiles at December 2011 were seven percent higher than the very low levels a year ago. Sales of snowmobiles outside of North America, principally the Scandinavian region, increased 52 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to a year ago. For the full year 2011, sales of Polaris snowmobiles increased 48 percent compared to the prior year.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i also agree the spindles look skinnier but that could just be the pic. SOOOOO nice to finally see a change in the throttle block!! hopefully this means i don't have to change out my throttle next year... and i can see springs on both shocks (although i'm sure seeing one is enough to ensure they will still be coilovers). i hope my pipe and head will will fit...??? (i might be reaching.)

pv

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
interesting read..anyone doubt that polaris is back on top of their game in mountain sleds?
Snowmobile sales increased 63 percent during the 2011 fourth quarter compared to the prior year’s fourth quarter. The fourth quarter 2011 increase in sales reflects significantly reduced snowmobile dealer inventory levels entering the 2011 - 2012 selling season compared to the prior year resulting in increased orders from dealers, as well as the impact of a shift in shipments of snowmobiles later in the year as the Company chose to ship its snowmobiles closer to expected consumer demand compared to last year. Polaris’ North American snowmobile retail sales to consumers in the 2011 season-to-date period were up high single digits percent over the 2010 season-to-date period despite the lack of snowfall in many parts of the snowbelt regions of the United States. North American dealer inventories of snowmobiles at December 2011 were seven percent higher than the very low levels a year ago. Sales of snowmobiles outside of North America, principally the Scandinavian region, increased 52 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011 compared to a year ago. For the full year 2011, sales of Polaris snowmobiles increased 48 percent compared to the prior year.

Definitely tough to argue the numbers. I know that I have really enjoyed riding my sled, despite a few frustrating hiccups early on. Someone posted something similar in another thread, but I am curious to see how these sleds hold out in the 1500-2000 mile range. I don't know what a reasonable barometer for sled longevity is, maybe 3500 miles? Now with a new model coming out, I wonder how many will trade up before they hit that mark? My sled has about 1300 on it and if I can sell it, she is down the road. It is easy to get all excited about a new model, but I am still a little nervous about the first year of anything. Curious to see the warranty on the snowchecks. If it is another 4 year option it would indicate Polaris is pretty confident in their machine. Time will tell right?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I'm still on the old iron 900 RMK. I have to wrap my head around new sled prices but would love to step up in capability.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Still concerned about tunnel bracing. I'm a believer in it no matter how much you weigh or how you ride. It's cheap insurance. Might have to go to an internal type brace like what Cat had for my 2006 Crossfire.....I'm gonna go to town to reserve a 2013 now lol

A
Feb 18, 2008
I am set on waiting until 14 until i trade in the 12. But they really know how to get me giddy like a little girl. Doesn't anyone have a Photoshopped cell phone picture that i can drool on?????

Running boards are Sweeeet but if Polaris is going lighter those are are going to more weight than what is on them now.
I would take the extra weight for improved boards. IMO

They are extruded aluminum, for the same weight it will be stronger. My guess is that they are the same if not lighter as it appears to be less overall material than the stamped sheet. My only concern is if they will be brittle as extruded aluminum doesn't really bend.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
The first of the details released ... the very trick extruded aluminum running boards designed to clear snow and keep you planted and in control of the sled.

The new PowderTrac running boards for the PRO RMK...I think they've been listening to us :face-icon-small-win

From my experience with all the different running boards and mods out there... this design is the most promising offering on a production sled I've seen to date... Big holes, nice traction, clean design. Definately an evolution of the the PRO platform.

I like that Polaris is pushing the bar up every year but not throwing out the baby with the bathwater! :high5::high5:

I don't have any other details at this time... but hope to after the release.

ENJOY :face-icon-small-coo

picture.php
i know how they did it! notice the sled doesn't have a track or suspension? thats how they lost 14 pounds. talk about game changer! yo can't get stuck if your sled floats in thin air! :cheer2:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
to me it looks like they're riveted on which means you can drill them out, powdercoat them, and rivet them back on for BETTER performance :face-icon-small-coo
AND you could replace them if you bust one

checkout that outter running board support bar going to the tunnel.. pretty trick

If those are made from the same 7129 alloy as the rails... I'd think long and hard about getting the powder coat done... I'd bet they are bonded on as well (just speculation)... so they might not be that easy to take off...

If you WERE to get them pow coated... I would ONLY do them at a place that was well known for super tight temp control (low temp) and they have lots of experience coating hi-tech structural alloy parts.

I personally would not even think of powder coating this on my own sled as they are a highly stressed structural member of the sled... I've seen a few of the running board edges on the 11 and 12's that bent because of powdercoat. For me... they would come off, get put into a vibratory polisher to knock off any burrs, and Hardcoat Type III anodized with Teflon additive... they would hold up better than than any pow coat on the planet and shed snow and ice like no other!... and not add the 3 lbs or so like pow coat.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Looks like Mountain horse and I were thinking and typing at the same time.

Now if they would just Hydro-phobic hard anodize everything that is raw aluminum the snow won't stick anymore and no weight penalty like you have with powder coating. Plus most powder coatings melt at a temperature that takes the temper out of the aluminum and that's where Aluminum gets about half it's strength.

I would have rather seen them incorporate a small flange on the tunnel side to help stiffen that edge as there have been know tunnel issues and that would stiffen it substantially. Rather than have the board supported off of the weaker 5052 tunnel material.

On a side note if some of you upgrade to airframes or other aftermarket boards I'll buy your extruded boards. As Polaris more than likely won't sell them separate, you will have to buy the whole chassis.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Is it me or do they look the same width all the way back now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features