• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride impression on 175-850 G4

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
We rode another 3 days this last week, snow was not the best but in trees we had foot or two of untouched, pretty technical riding and found it such a handful.. Sucked up limiter 4 holes and it was much much more manageable, other than just off the start and the last few mph at wot, all was good and climbed some pretty decent climbs

Going to try the tmotion lockout next, I still found it a bit to Darty, but think this could be a decent next step.. Final would be a better rear shock or springs to prevent suspension sag in the steep..

Plan to do boost install early January once motor is broke in and then plan a complete driver and skid swap..

No problems so far with belt and primary stays around the 78-8100, will drop clickers or add a few grams for next ride

Out with a few other G4 155s and what a joke it was to watch them climbing, skids had no chance and a few came right over on driver in a climb.. Really made you wonder who is testing these things out, and what conditions they put them threw..

Keep in mind that many people ride much differently than you and in much different places than you. Alot of our riding in the lower 48 is much smaller terrain, and we do alot less straight up climbing. Ski lift can be a fun thing, and is something to be expected (to a certain extent) on 15x” sleds.

The torsion springs need to go though, thats for sure.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I got out for a couple good days on my new 175 this past weekend and to manage the ski lift I REALLY liked the remote adjustable limiter strap! It certainly works well for me. Like the ski lift in the trees and just turn the dial to short and she climbs like a champ. I have been always adjusting it shorter while the front of the skid is on a bump and it has been no problem. So far the only issue I had was the pin holding the clutch cover on rattling like crazy when under power... a few wraps of electrical tape and it was solved. Maybe had something to do with me cutting the bottom of the cover off... Otherwise all good!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Did some more playing on skid, lifted limiter to 5 position, tightened up coil springs a bit more by drilling some new holes on rails and installed t motion delete

Just doing some before and after test on concrete sled is feeling more stable, now just to work on rear sag issue in the steep, I have something cheap there to try before spending some serious coin..

BE2B1057-0DFE-4CD3-B8D6-CBB2FAF9B6C4.jpg

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Ant pictures of your adjustable strap.. I see there is some mounting brackets on front arm for it I think..

I got out for a couple good days on my new 175 this past weekend and to manage the ski lift I REALLY liked the remote adjustable limiter strap! It certainly works well for me. Like the ski lift in the trees and just turn the dial to short and she climbs like a champ. I have been always adjusting it shorter while the front of the skid is on a bump and it has been no problem. So far the only issue I had was the pin holding the clutch cover on rattling like crazy when under power... a few wraps of electrical tape and it was solved. Maybe had something to do with me cutting the bottom of the cover off... Otherwise all good!

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
1st ride on the 175" 2' of fresh pow and :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap; coming off the poo ; It's gonna be a learning curve for sure!!!! LOL!!:wacko:

Briscoe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2011
Blackfoot ID
After riding the 165” last year, the 175” in stock setup felt awesome to me. It felt really stable and I felt no need to tighten the limiter strap. Sled felt great in the low and mid for power, but flat on top. That being said, it kept churning up every hill I found. It held rpm’s really good, I’m hoping for some more top end after breakin.

95CF0EA2-2D7D-4A93-B99D-5701314A0FA6.jpg

Teamdog

Premium Member
So we have been out on 3 rides this season. I would only call the last ride a serious ride. Finally got some base and had about 2-3 feet of powder depending on where you were on the hill.

Like I have said in the past I rode an 08 and it was a POS.
This 18 175 is absolutely amazing IMO. I don't know about all the talk about the T motion in or out all I can tell you is that This thing is the best sled I have ever rode.

It is so easy to ride and you can thread a needle up hill thru the trees and the hills we climbed with the snow conditions the way they were was a big surprise. I thought I would be digging myself out much more than I had to.

The viz was bad and it was hard to see the top of the hills so when you got close top the top it became a lot more vertical than I thought.......well throttle is your friend so just wick it and up she goes. Never would have happened for me in the past... maybe my 06 with the Holtz stuff on it.

We were the first ones back where we rode and it sure was a fun ride.
No belt issues so far. Need to adjust clickers today was revving a little high but other than that just enjoy the excellent ride.

Later.....

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Out last two days with lockouts installed.. highly recommend it, in the three plus feet guys without it are all over the place rather than where they need to be, in the steep/deep

Had swapped sleds with another 850 175 owner and he’s totally blown away at sled predictablyity compared to his..

I had drove his for less than a minute and returned it.. no way in hell was that dartyness fun..

Down to 28 percent BI left and sled died on way home, sounds like a bad plug/or lost cylinder.. dealer has no time till latter next week.. sucks

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
No, it did not help.. trying to do a compression test, what a joke to get at these plugs on this engine..

Then to find out it uses a smaller diameter plug and compression tester don’t fit...

Why am I doing brps bullsh1t work.. pretty sad

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Ant pictures of your adjustable strap.. I see there is some mounting brackets on front arm for it I think..

Hi Fred, here's some pics of my remote adjustable limiter strap. Mine has worked great provided I adjust the knob with the front of skid compressed. I really like being able to be more playful in Creek bottoms yet dial it short for climbs.
cbe7d3ae2c2b2a9d4bae10cb5e29f27a.jpg
0202f952cf3ad418fb4ef2518fd24c54.jpg
953119557dd627b0c20618f395f25562.jpg
445923405d321b217dce06e2a0561d36.jpg
bb5b74e8f17a56da7b9ead6fdf124831.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I bought the same remote limiter adjuster but haven't installed it yet. Love the concept, but have a couple questions. Can you twist the knob and then it will adjust on the next skid compression or do you have to stop on a bump to twist the knob? Is it just two settings, that are the equivalent of two 3 holes or can you set it in between? Thanks in advance!

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I have found it's best to stop on a bump when going from the long to short setting (eg tightening limiter strap), seems ok to go from short to long anytime. When you go to a setting you here it click in. I think it's the equivalent of two hole adjustment. I do find it's enough to make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features