• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any 2 stroke TPI 250 or 300 builds out there?

Dec 17, 2016
Curious to see if anybody has done a snow bike build on KTM or Husky TPI (fuel injected) 250 or 300 platforms? Really want to do a 2 stroke build and would really like to know if the TPI systems help with getting the bike to run easier in cold weather without much tinkering.

S
Jan 3, 2019
Buddy built a 19 Husky 300tpi w/ 19 camso. Rode it last weekend and it was rippin fast! Was nice that it had enough watts for the factory light and he just slapped on some hand warmers and hit the mountain! Really simple, shop claims he didn’t need a blanket because of it being a two-stroker. Fun bike if you like to smash gears, but there is no comparison to the lug of the 450 in my opinion.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID
I’m interested in doing this, but didn’t want to be a guinea pig my first year snow biking. I have a 300 TPI, and will be doing it next year for sure.
Following this, as I was going to post the same question.

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
300TPIs

We have 2 300 TPI -18 going on snow this year.
Last year we had 1 and that could hang with my 500 all day long. So to avoid the famous possible "valve spaghetti" I too switched to a 300 TPI for this year.
Both of us run 129" Tedesleds.

//Rob

15871695_10154210144409135_6254737097645023826_n.jpg 29341749_10155376192604135_1398901076_n.jpg

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
Curious to see if anybody has done a snow bike build on KTM or Husky TPI (fuel injected) 250 or 300 platforms? Really want to do a 2 stroke build and would really like to know if the TPI systems help with getting the bike to run easier in cold weather without much tinkering.

My friend rode a 300 TPI whole last winter and with zero issues. From freezing -25 degrees celcius to spring riding in 0 degrees celcius and not a single hickup. Bike ran flawlessly compared to the old -17 300 carbed that needed both carb heating and isolation of the carb to prevent freezeup when riding in pow.

I have switched from an exc 500 to a 300 TPI myself this year, since the difference is so little and the 300 so muche more agile and flickable in the trees.

Rob

Dec 17, 2016
So if you wouldn't mind, would you please list the mods you made to your 300tpi specifically for the snowbike application? I have a 450fx set up with a Camso, but the mods for snow were pretty substantial. Thus Id like to have a bike that has to be modded much less if possible? Thanks!

My friend rode a 300 TPI whole last winter and with zero issues. From freezing -25 degrees celcius to spring riding in 0 degrees celcius and not a single hickup. Bike ran flawlessly compared to the old -17 300 carbed that needed both carb heating and isolation of the carb to prevent freezeup when riding in pow.

I have switched from an exc 500 to a 300 TPI myself this year, since the difference is so little and the 300 so muche more agile and flickable in the trees.

Rob

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
So, are you familiar with PowerCDI? They are from italy, and currently working on making the TPI a little more racey. Also dont you think that boost becomes way more practical with the direct injection? Sure was a game changer with sleds. Im sure its in the works. As Robster mentioned, the 2 stroke feels like it weighs 100# less than a 450. More so in the snow than the dirt.

M
Mar 12, 2018
Sandpoint, ID

Rob

Thanks for the encouraging post. I’m running the 500 EXC this year, but planning on the 300 TPI next year, or when I finally kill the 500. My buddy is running a 300 2016 Husky, and it will run with my 500 all day. It is very thirsty compared to my 500 though. Guessing the TPI will help, he is actually consuming about twice the fuel my 500 is. But a lot more fun, lighter ride than mine.

AK1000

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Anchortown
The 300 looks like fun but not sure why it feels so much lighter as the 19 450sx is a few pounds lighter full of fuel(published 242 to 234).
Still want to ride one bad!

S
Feb 12, 2017
I just made the switch this season from a ktm 450 to a ktm 300 tpi and I am VERY HAPPY I run the timber sled RAW kit. I will say it might not have all the grunt of my 450 but it has 90% and it really does feel 100# lighter!! Crazy fun!
Mods:
1 I have a carbon fiber pipe guard,
2 skid plate,
3 home made engine blanket,
4 a radiator cap temp gauge,

Issues:
1 at -20 F it’s hard to start, but a hair dryer for 20 min to the engine fixed that.
2. Temps in the deep powder keep it alittle cold 100Fish thinking about making a foreword facing engine blanket to help, the bike runs great, it’s just the gauge reads low.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Weight is lower in the chassis and less rotating mass.
(Also lower rpm)

I think this is exactly the difference between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke its not peak HP or torque, my 450 is maybe 15 lbs heavier than my CR500 but it carries its weight high, you really notice it when picking up the bike. Fortunately I don't do that near as often as I used to. 8000 RPM vs 11-12000 RPM big difference.

Is the 300 TPI only available in a wide ratio tranny, no XC version?

M5

Last edited:

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
So if you wouldn't mind, would you please list the mods you made to your 300tpi specifically for the snowbike application? I have a 450fx set up with a Camso, but the mods for snow were pretty substantial. Thus Id like to have a bike that has to be modded much less if possible? Thanks!

Not much at all.
* Seat concepts seat (used the -12 exc500 seat concepts seat and moved it to a 300 tpi seat and SUPER plush and comfy.
* Supermotard tiny front fender more for the looks, but also holds up better in the trees.
* Wolfman saddlebags to store coffee and food, tools etc in.
* Our own version of preassurized front forks with 5,4 springs and snowbike valving (we have a separate front fork setup that is made for snowbiking only).
* Oxford Heated grips (have tried AME and numerous others, but Oxford is the only brand that has held up for more than 1 season).
* Widened and powdercoated foot pegs for winter use

That's it apart from a dry airfilter with a snowpreventor cap on the outside (Outerwear).

Rob

B
Feb 18, 2009
Not much at all.
* Seat concepts seat (used the -12 exc500 seat concepts seat and moved it to a 300 tpi seat and SUPER plush and comfy.
* Supermotard tiny front fender more for the looks, but also holds up better in the trees.
* Wolfman saddlebags to store coffee and food, tools etc in.
* Our own version of preassurized front forks with 5,4 springs and snowbike valving (we have a separate front fork setup that is made for snowbiking only).
* Oxford Heated grips (have tried AME and numerous others, but Oxford is the only brand that has held up for more than 1 season).
* Widened and powdercoated foot pegs for winter use

That's it apart from a dry airfilter with a snowpreventor cap on the outside (Outerwear).

Rob

Thanks for sharing this info. Is a thermostat only required if you are using coolant heated bars?

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
I’m Waiting for the close ratio.......

Might be quite a wait. So far, ktm is saying no plans. Close ratio bikes are closed course bikes so they don't have to meet any euro emission standards like their wide ratio bikes. Plus it makes the bikes weigh more. KTM is currently saying they were required to go fuel injected on the models they did and they don't plan on doing the motocross bikes. Might change down the road. Guess they will consider it depending on demand.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Might be quite a wait. So far, ktm is saying no plans. Close ratio bikes are closed course bikes so they don't have to meet any euro emission standards like their wide ratio bikes. Plus it makes the bikes weigh more. KTM is currently saying they were required to go fuel injected on the models they did and they don't plan on doing the motocross bikes. Might change down the road. Guess they will consider it depending on demand.

If brc does a 500 in the newer motor..........
Then swapping a couple transmission gears while it’s apart wouldn’t be so bad.

A FI 500 2stroke close ratio. (With a real electric start)

I think that’s what would get me to move away from sportbike power.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
If brc does a 500 in the newer motor..........
Then swapping a couple transmission gears while it’s apart wouldn’t be so bad.

A FI 500 2stroke close ratio. (With a real electric start)

I think that’s what would get me to move away from sportbike power.

Rumor is the TPI system will fit on the next gen BRC offering. Also there is a co in AUS that is working on TBI for BRC 500.

Premium Features