• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Attention EcoBoost owners

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Thought I would bring something to your attention.

Take a look at this video (There is a part 2 link at the end of the first video, the 2nd video shows what this build up does!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0irwbwpuEbQ

This one shows what comes out of the catch can after about 3,000 miles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEgJ_-VeIhY

Here is another quick video (Apparently after 130 miles?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT0kpHpGQJ8

There is anecdotal evidence that the oil from the PCV system is sticking and "caking" onto the intake valves of this motor. Over time, and as miles start to pile up, that build up on the backs of the valves will cause problems for you. Your idling will begin to deteriorate when the engine is cold.

Using detergents or additives has been causing premature failure of the turbo.

This problem is prevalent on most if not all types of GDI (Direct injection) engines. Some manufacturers add catch cans, others like Ford don't. Fords response apparently is to replace the heads and injectors when these symptoms arise. Well, thats great when you have a warranty, but it takes alot of miles for the build up to cause problems.

Low mileage engines do not experience these problems. It is only after the motor gets 50,000+ miles where the "caking" may begin to cause the symptoms.

Full synthetic oils seem to be helping with this, but it does not stop it completely.

You may want to install some sort of catch can to eliminate this potential issue.

I did some research on catch cans, and the Rx can with the dual check valve seperator seems to be a pretty good set up.

I have a 2013 Explorer with the Ecoboost V6, and I have one of these cans on order. I'll let you know how it goes for the install. There is an explorer specific model not listed on their website.

Certainly not a mandatory thing to do, but it seems to me that spending a few bucks now, will keep this crap out of your engine in the first place, thereby, hopefully eliminating this carbon build up due to burning evaporated oil. These valve systems do not like to burn this oil!

Anyway, I thought this might be helpful!!

Last edited:
M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Im not much of a ford guy, but wanted to give a thought. What about running a can of seafoam or similer through the intake via a vacuum line every other oil change or so? Might knock the deposits off the valves perhaps?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I ran a catch can on my hemi and you'd be amazed what gets caught in them. Iwould clean mine every oil change and they are usually holding about a pint of tan gunk. I have heard the EB needs it pretty badly as well.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Just bought a 2014 Explorer Eco Boost.
Thanks for this thread.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Scott... Put on a catch can as soon as possible... a friend of mine loves his truck... but ford has already put on 1 set of heads... and it took a high volume dealer with a huge service department with good ford connections 2 weeks to get the issue sorted... Good thing he has a back up ride.

Short term...no issues..but once it builds up... you are on the hook for some serious money that you may not have warranty for.

The induction service is also hard on the cat converters and turbos as noted in the vid.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I was also strongly urged to get the clean side oil seperator as well. This gets the vapors on top side of the valve train.

The whole system will be at my.door in 10 days. I'll let you know how the install goes.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My wife drives a '12 Explorer with the 2.0 EcoBoost. Where is this catch can best located? I'm dreading having to face engine issues once the warranty runs out.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
My wife drives a '12 Explorer with the 2.0 EcoBoost. Where is this catch can best located? I'm dreading having to face engine issues once the warranty runs out.

Mime will be located up near the hood latch well. I found Tracy at rx performance very helpful with my questions. I would write him an email and ask him if there is a kit for routing on the 2.0

There are other options in terms of catch cans of course. I just happened to use rxperformance.com

bucky919

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
North Dakota
Its not just the ecoboost that people are running these on, its all engines pretty much now days, that suffer from this. Ive never ran one, Im on my second F150 ecoboost my 2011 had 120k on the clock, I pulled the intercooler at 100k and it was pretty clean. My 2013 has 50k on it. I pulled the intercooler the other day and it was clean also. I also have a fusion with 45k on it with the 1.6 ecoboost. The more mileage the better these engines seem to get. My fusion is getting on average 34mpg and F150 is 20mpg (8-10mpg pulling our 30ft enclosed). May the wind be with you!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Bucky:

The PCV "residue" is being inserted in the throttlebody. It is my understanding that this would be after the intercooler, on the back of the valve train, right before the air charge enters the cylinders.

I thought the intercooler was upstream of all this?

I thought it went turbo wheel, intercooler, then throttlebody, then cylinders

Can someone chime in please............

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
The crankcase vent cannot be introduced after the turbo compressor, or the vapor would just be forced back into the crankcase and find its way out another way, ie leaking seals and gaskets. Generally pcv on turbocharged engines is introduced to the compressor inlet.

Sent From God Knows Where...

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
The crankcase vent cannot be introduced after the turbo compressor, or the vapor would just be forced back into the crankcase and find its way out another way, ie leaking seals and gaskets. Generally pcv on turbocharged engines is introduced to the compressor inlet.

Sent From God Knows Where...

Yup, would have to be a venturi for it to work in the intake.

I'm skeptical of this negative stuff, will leave mine stock.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
A few months later and the catch can is doing its job.

I have emptied the catch can out twice now and each time there has been about a cup of this liquid crap in the can. I can only describe this stuff as a gravy type consistency, but much more runny. It seperates out in a cup with about 1/4 cup of sludge on top and 3/4 cup of lighter sludge on the bottom.

I noticed that my exhaust tips are not carboning up like before either.

the installation was pretty fast as well. the toughest part is getting the holes in the plastic of the intake side. Needed a step bit and patience to get that just right, but it went in just fine.

Premium Features