• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Review and Installation: PsychoSled "Super Secret Squirrel" Nytro Clutch

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The only part of this whole installation that took any real effort or attention to detail was installing the new upgraded secondary spring.

Moto suggested that I set it up for 60 degrees.
That means inserting the inner spring tab in the #3 hole and the outer spring tab in the #3 hole as well.

picture.php

The 3 holes on the inner portion of the clutch have small numbers stamped into them. In this picture you can see the #3.
picture.php

Rotate the spring and insert the end of the spring into that hole.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Place the cover back on with the outside spring tab going into the #3 hole as well. Then get ready to apply some brute force to compress and twist everything back into position!
picture.php

Twist
Compress
Wail in that sucker to get it back into place!:face-icon-small-hap
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
REALLY helps to have a second set of hands.
Once the cover is in place and held under pressure its mighty nice for someone to grab the nuts and screw them on !

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Installation SIDE NOTE.
After getting everything properly tightened up I noticed there was a LOT OF SLOP in the secondary.

I could rotate the clutch about 45 degrees from side to side without any tension.

I suspect its time to tighten up the chaincase tensioner on the other side of the sled??
picture.php

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Reassembling the primary was a no brainer.
Insert spring, screw down cover.
Couldn't be easier!
picture.php

And she is DONE.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Over all this upgrade kit was a BREEZE to install and took perhaps 90 minutes from start to finish.

Tomorrow will be taking the sled out to Island Park and HUNTING hard for any open untracked snow to do some wide open throttle testing.

Sadly, I am NOT optimistic about finding any.
We need snow BADLY around here!

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Installation SIDE NOTE.
After getting everything properly tightened up I noticed there was a LOT OF SLOP in the secondary.

I could rotate the clutch about 45 degrees from side to side without any tension.

I suspect its time to tighten up the chaincase tensioner on the other side of the sled??
picture.php

picture.php

Can't help but love the Nytro chain case... 8 million moving parts, and a pathetic explanation on how to tighten it. Boost will cost you in spades if you don't adjust it properly.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Can't help but love the Nytro chain case... 8 million moving parts, and a pathetic explanation on how to tighten it. Boost will cost you in spades if you don't adjust it properly.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

Might be time for a new thread on that subject

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I will be interested to hear how your sled does with that setup. I ran Daltons last year after putting my turbo on and I could never get it to pull the rpm it was supposed to and it was a belt killer. I went to a lighter yamaha weight this year and overall performance was very good.

I will be looking forward to the ride report.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am producing 9.5lbs of boost on my supercharger.
Given the current snow conditions I was unable to find a large meadow with sufficient deep fresh snow to run the sled wide open.
On a groomed trail I was Turing 9,250rpm.
On a gently upward sloping meadow I was seeing low 8,000s

But until we get a good dump, I really will not be able to dial this in and get it tuned properly.

Given that, I did NOT feel any major difference in over all performance today from my previous setup.
It worked just fine, but I am not sure I would have known anything had been changed if I had not been the one who made the modification myself??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
The most noticeable differences are one the bottom end. Much lower engagement RPM, smoother engagement, etc. Also, if you ever check clutch temps, you would notice a HUGE difference.

Sent from Moto's iPhad

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Moto I know we are talking about Boosted clutch sets ups. Do you offer a secret hamster kit for N/A Nytro's? Where does a good performing clutch engage on the nytro compared to OEM engagemnet? This is one area i dont think mine is working right and have very little knowledge to remedy the problem

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
X2 running OE stuff with cat yellow se spring
Moto I know we are talking about Boosted clutch sets ups. Do you offer a secret hamster kit for N/A Nytro's? Where does a good performing clutch engage on the nytro compared to OEM engagemnet? This is one area i dont think mine is working right and have very little knowledge to remedy the problem

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The most noticeable differences are one the bottom end. Much lower engagement RPM, smoother engagement, etc. Also, if you ever check clutch temps, you would notice a HUGE difference.

Sent from Moto's iPhad
Taking the sled back out tomorrow to take my 12 year old daughter out for the day.

This will give me plenty of low intensity time on the sled.
I will FOCUS in to see if there is a noticeable difference on the low end.
Quite honestly, I really did NOT pay it any attention yesterday.

Will be easy enough to jump between my two boosted nytros to see the difference when we are looking for it.

Premium Features