• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installing an X3 track on my Pro RMK with chaincase (with pics)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Nice work...love the set-up you're running. I run it also.

I would stay with the stock black secondary spring and run the bellybusters...Unless you're changing helix.

Only thing I would do different is have your assault shocks revalved by Holz or Carls.

Big difference....big big big....The X3 loves it...

And if you purchased a Wahl brothers anti-stab, then do yourself a big favor now and buy an Ice-Age and have it on the shelf. Guarantee you're going to need it...

Hopefully you bought an Ice-Age from the get go.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Thanks. Can't wait to test it all out. I'm doing the Carl's clutching setup, so yes, new helix (62-42-40) and gold/black secondary spring. Also getting that special bearing to put in the secondary.

A revalve will have to wait. I've got too many toys and not enough money to go around. I am adding the 230# spring on the rear shock, so that should make a significant difference.

Ice Age anti-stab is already installed. The workmanship on that setup is unreal. Seems like it should have cost twice as much!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Got a box of goodies from Carl's Cycle on Friday and installed the parts over the weekend.

From left to right:
  • Stock 150# Polaris RMK front track spring
  • Custom Carl's 230# rear track spring
  • Gold/Black Team secondary spring - 170/240
  • Carl's custom cut helix - 62-42-40 and 60-40-40
  • Team secondary roller bearing (Bearing goes between gold spring cup and included steel washer. Add a light coating of WD-40 to the bearing and remove any burs from the two small holes on the spring cup.)
springs.jpg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
WD40 for the bearing to reduce corrosion is interesting - I wonder how many peeps who have run the bearing for a year or two have checked, or experienced it.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Good question.

Well, it's all back together. Only thing left is to spin the track, tighten it up and pray for snow...hopefully this thread helps someone doing the same/similar mod.

Skid moved back 3/4" from the stock Pro RMK position, up 3/4" AND back 3/4" from the stock RMK Assault position.
tr_01.jpg

tr_02.jpg

tr_03.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Still grinnin' ear to ear. Holy cats, the X3 really is a "poor man's turbo"! I ran it all last week out in Star Valley, WY. Zero issues. We had REALLY good snow, for this time of year. I climbed stuff that was impossible with the old 5.1 track. Two things I found with the X3 track: It'll take me just about anywhere, and when it does get stuck, it's very efficient at digging holes. Carl's clutching was spot on.

Well worth the investment.

stuck2.jpg

wheelie.png

jump.png

stuck.jpg

camo.jpg

C
Sep 14, 2016
Cutting chain case

"Ya gotta cut out the chunk shown in the pic. It's not an exact science, but basically cut from where the bolt flange ends on the bottom of the case, up to the half way mark of the bump out on top. Grind it flush and replace with a 1/8" plate or less. The new plate doesn't need to be flush with the back of the chaincase. It can bump out the plate thickness."

Why did you have to cut the chaincase? Was the track rubbing?

K
May 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
You have to cut the chaincase on 11/12 models. With 7 tooth drivers the track will rub.

I have this exact setup on my 11 pro. I went with Iceage new 2 wheel antistab with bigger wheels. Also modified the stock rail caps and grinded them round. Works amazing.

Thank you tuneman!

Premium Features