• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought an 18.. any must do's?

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Just picked up a brand new left over lime squeeze snowcheck.

Are there any must do's to the axys?
Are we still venting oil caps? Electric pump so no turning it up... still adding oil to every tank?

Tether is a must..

Any thing else I should do ?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Premix oil on the first tank, per Polaris' instructions. No need for premixing after that.

No need to vent the oil cap. It's correctly positioned now.

Put loctite on the secondary belt deflection screw and snug to spec. There have been some issues with them backing out.

Keep an eye on track wear at the unclipped locations. Or fully clip your track now to prevent premature wear, if you plan to ride any significant amount of trails/hard pack.

Other than that, just ride it. Congrats on the new sled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The sled is stellar out of the Box. Mods I like, in no exact particular order.

Tether - DUH
Cover - Protect the investment
IceAge Hillclimb Braces - Cheap easy insurance for a rock solid skid
DuraPro Ski Rubbers - No more blown out rubbers every 100 miles
BM fab rear bumper - the carbon one snaps so easy, BM also braces the weak tail section of tunnel
Tunnel storage - OEM bags are a great option (keep backpack weight to bare minimum)
Dash bag - Easy access water and snacks (stay hydrated/nourished while riding)
Can - SLP or Diamon S Ti, no need for obnoxious stuff, easy weight drop.
Shocks service every 1k miles to keep things nice and tight

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Dash bag... is anyone running one of the Polaris ones? The skinz style?
I run the Polaris dash bag that sits between the handlebars and gauge. Love it. Holds a couple of waters, Leatherman, and granola bars. My GPS is mounted on top of it too. The best part about it is I no longer have a handlebar bag hanging off my bars and blocking the view of my gauge.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Dash bag... is anyone running one of the Polaris ones? The skinz style?
I have the factory one. Fits my little roll up toolkit i made using my old ski-doo rev kit. Small hand saw, and 1L of water. Makes for quick draw on the saw/tools and hydration. Super snug little setup, you dont notice it, easy to use, and it keeps water from freezing unless its absolutely freezing -10f or worse.

Its amazing how good you ride when your backpack is light (just avy essentials) and your well hydrated and nourished. I often run backup waters in my tunnel bag (again, keeping them from freezing)

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Book says to premix it.. and dealer already did...

The owners manual for the 16/17 is different than the 18. I remember a discusstion about this last year. There is nothing from Polaris that says that you need to add oil the first tank. My 16 had the tag on it that said to add oil but there was nothing on my 18. Not saying its going to hurt anything (extra oil is usually a good thing). But Im just saying that for 18 and up they say that it isnt required.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Only item you really need is a turbo!!!
Check:)
f69f8e91c9ec3dde1ffc296296d15657.jpg

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
The owners manual for the 16/17 is different than the 18. I remember a discusstion about this last year. There is nothing from Polaris that says that you need to add oil the first tank. My 16 had the tag on it that said to add oil but there was nothing on my 18. Not saying its going to hurt anything (extra oil is usually a good thing). But Im just saying that for 18 and up they say that it isnt required.

Book says for my 18 to premix 40:1

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Kurts Polaris told me they had to stop adding oil to the first tank as between the additional oil and the electronic oil pump adding oil, the sleds were blubbering they were so fat on oil...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Kurts Polaris told me they had to stop adding oil to the first tank as between the additional oil and the electronic oil pump adding oil, the sleds were blubbering they were so fat on oil...

Fall 2015 guys were fouling plugs first ride out.
The 18’s aren’t as fat during break in.

Either do oil or don’t.
Nobody’s going to get hurt.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
In my experience front/rear bumper (heavier duty then stock), duo pro rubbers, a-arms(or arm candy)...I can't seem to get 50-100 miles out of stock arms....., low seat, storage bags, lots of snow, steep terrain, gas n oil = ride her like you stole it

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Things that are small dollar and big return (relatively speaking):

-For $600 Carl's Cycle can make the stock shocks feel amazing.

-Gear it down using Pro pulleys.

-Replace stock a-arms before using the sled with Kmod or Raptor.

-B&M Front Bumper.

-B&M Rear Bumper is also included if you can swing it, your tunnel will thank you.

Last edited:
Premium Features