• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Maverick vs Challenger

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
I just got my new (to me) sled yesterday, and it's gonna need a track soon. The 141 on it is almost shot.

I've always read that the Challenger is the better track for California riding conditions, and that the Maverick is better in light, fluffy snow. But... didn't they say that about the Attack 20 too??

Reason I ask is that there are many more 153" Mavericks for sale than Challengers... and I don't want to spend $600 on a brand new track if I can avoid it.

Thoughts?

Rob

turboDS1300

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I just switched from a 162 Challenger to a 162x16 Mav on my King Cat. Haven't gotten to ride it yet but as you say, I think a great deal depends strictly on the conditions of the snow your riding in.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I had the same choice to make last year and I went for the challenger. I ride with guys who have the maverick and the challenger and the challengers were holding up better since they are a little bit harder. I like them both but I also heard the challenger is better in the wetter stuff and thats what we get a lot more of. They are both good tracks. I know the mavs are a bit cheaper so maybe go with what you get the best deal on. I bought mine from tracks USA and I would highly recommend calling them and asking their opinion.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Challenger is the better track. I was going to go with a 162 Maverick this year but after all the research and reports I got, it seems the Maverick is just TOO soft. It wears down far too fast, and though it is cheaper, you will be buying one far sooner again than the Challenger.

I am going to change my Drivers and go with a Poo 163x2.4 Series 5.1 track this year i think.

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I put a 162 Mav on my T-cat last year and am very impressed with how it works in the deep stuff. I haven't had any problems with durability (no missing paddles) and it hooks up good in spring conditions. I haven't run the Challenger extreme, but my last track was the 2" challenger. The 162 is quite a bit longer than the 151x15 wide I had, so no comparison on how they work in the snow, the 162 just flat works. I picked it up in the swap meet brand new for $475 delivered. Cost was definitely a big part of the reason I tried one, but have I have no regrets, great track.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
My buddy put a Maverick on his Skidoo XRS and we both went to the same places last year. His track is missing about 13 paddles and his right side (which he sidehills on most) is almost completely toast. The track gets great traction but it simply falls apart too fast due to its softness.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Ive ran both on the same sled. The Mav did get pretty tore up, but I lked it more of the time. The attack 20 is all or none. I got tired of switching it back and forth all the time.

R

RobG

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 10, 2003
Nowhere
Thanks guys! I guess that settles it... Challenger it is!! Damn, just missed that one in Swap Meet for $300 too. Guess I'll end up spending $600 on a new one... plus $155 for rail extensions, then who knows how much Cat wants for the 153 tunnel extension..

Rob

Premium Features