• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 ho jetting with Boyesen reeds

J
Apr 6, 2009
Looking for some advice on jetting/tuning carb after installing reeds/cages. Should a guy make any adjustments while carbs are off, or put them on and see how she runs? Engine/exhaust are all stock besides the new reeds and new rings. Thanks

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
we run stock jetting in all our HOs with reeds. but all sleds are differant. run it with stock jetting and pull the plugs and make sure its not leaningout rightaway then try and get a look at the piston wash after a good ride

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
I use boyesen reeds on my 2006 Summit 800 and late this season, I took off the stock large spacers between the carbs and engine and also changed pilot jets , by going from stock 17.5's to 20's it was a different sled. LOW END power like you could not believe. And, it was not backfiring any longer at the end of a long pull, and the hanging idle went away. Go to 20 pilots!!

D
Nov 27, 2007
Boyesen jetting

I'm running 20 pilots with 390 mains, 1 full season without any problems with the current setup. I still do get the climbing idle when its really cold out though

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
So you are saying that you left the mains stock and changed out the pilots?

Yes but he is running an aftermarket can (SLP). You can safely jet down one size on mains IF you don't have any exhaust mods. Also you need to adjust out the fuel screws to 2 turns out (from closed) along with the larger pilots (could be your problem dycker). Boyesens need more fuel down low on the non-XP Doos.

Have FUN!

G MAN

J
Apr 6, 2009
Pilots/Mains

Gman086, you are saying 20's/390's with the fuel screw adjustments? I do have stock exhaust. Thanks

D
Nov 27, 2007
Boyesen vs VF3

The aluminum boots on the boyesen reeds was the big attraction for me. The stock and Vf3 boots are rubber and prone to cracking due to oxidation and the risk of a lean burn down. None of those worries with the boyesen reeds

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
My boots kept cracking till i swapped the VF3s in. I didnt want them because i ran boyesen on my cat, but 90 bucks for a clean pair i couldnt pass us. My boots are pretty burley on the VF3s, im not worried bout them

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Not too hijack,

But has anybody tried these setting with the VF3s and saw better throttle response??

VF3's don't seem to benefit from jetting changes in my experience so just stay standard. They will give crisper throttle response regardless.

Have FUN!

G

Last edited:
Premium Features