• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CHANGING THE FUEL FILTER IN YOUR PRO

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Update: I think this fuel filter sucks. It does not follow the stock contour very well. You can see in the picture that it naturally wants to sit about an inch higher than the bracket it is sposed to fit in. When I cram it into the bracket, it puts a lot of stress on the air box (tries to lift it up) and also on the connection up at the gas tank.

Pretty sure I'm gonna send it back and buy a different one.
18ed94af9944a171f8f080ed5b732032.jpg

Here it is in the bracket but if I take my hand off it, it's on the verge of popping out.
7200abe2ca196379bdde4f667c681f48.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sorry pics sideways

I'm gonna guess that is one of the SPI's that where made with the hoses too long. Some were so long that the hose kinked and then blew / leaked. Safe bet is to NOT use it.

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I'm gonna guess that is one of the SPI's that where made with the hoses too long. Some were so long that the hose kinked and then blew / leaked. Safe bet is to NOT use it.
Almost seemed like the bottom half was too long and the top half was too short. Basically filter shoulda moved about 1/2" toward fuel rail.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
To answer the post above...
The SPI filter and the Synerject(OEM) filters are different inside...the Synerject has more filter media and looks to be a bit more robust than the SPI...But the price point diff is huge....

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
To answer the post above...
The SPI filter and the Synerject(OEM) filters are different inside...the Synerject has more filter media and looks to be a bit more robust than the SPI...But the price point diff is huge....

Did u ever come up with a recommendation after all that testing u were doing couple years ago?

S
Dec 2, 2007
forest lake, mn
Burn downs?

I am curious how many people have had a piston failure on their 800s and actually did replace the fuel filter annually? I've parted out numerous iq sleds with 700cfis that blew up and none of them had had the fuel filters changed. I change mine every year and haven't had any issues.... anyone else think there is a major correlation between lack of fuel filter maintenance and piston failures?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Definitely notice that.

Still the best fuel filter is still the EricW and mountainhorse Napa mod. Got most of my riding buddies converted. Check it out.
Can you provide a link to it? I think I remember that thread but the search does not work very well... have a 2015 Pro with the newer style, would be great to convert it to something cheaper and replace it more often... buddy just picked up a 2014 Pro too...

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
I am curious how many people have had a piston failure on their 800s and actually did replace the fuel filter annually? I've parted out numerous iq sleds with 700cfis that blew up and none of them had had the fuel filters changed. I change mine every year and haven't had any issues.... anyone else think there is a major correlation between lack of fuel filter maintenance and piston failures?
I just changed my fuel filter along with a couple of other things (spark plugs and wires and cleaned power valve ports). I was experiencing an intermittent (and increasingly more frequent) lean condition at wot. 17-19 on the afr guage. After doing these things the lean condition went away. I was definitely having issues with the ves and the ports were completely plugged up with carbon so I'm not sure if that was playing a factor in what I was seeing or if in fact it was the fuel filter limiting flow. I wish I would have kept the filter and cut it open. I'm gonna do the Napa mod for sure now, though. Definitely a lot better than what I came up with on short notice. My dealer didn't have a fuel filter for my 12 and tried to talk me out of changing it because, "you never have to change them because they are never a problem."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Premium Features