• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CHANGING THE FUEL FILTER IN YOUR PRO

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
My polaris filter after 5300km

IMG_4080.jpg

R
Apr 16, 2012
canada
What kind of gas? Oil mix? Gas Additive?

How did you cut it open and pull out the element?

Thx

Some 87 octane and some 91 octane but had 89 octane in it most of the time.
Oil was only mixed with the gas for the first tank for engine break in.
Used fuel stabilizer during storage and used gas line antifreeze about a dozen times.

Took some tin snips to the filter housing to get the element out, took a bit of wrestling

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I got mine done no one ever answered how you prime the system so I changed the filter pulled the rope four times and it started right up. I guess the priming procedure is pull the rope unless you have electric start then might be a little more complicated.LOL

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Hmmmm... I posted it yesterday... don't know why it did not show up.

Yea... lots of them will just start up.

I like to prime the system and run it to flush out any old fuel ... or fine particles that may be left in the hose from manufacturing... or from the change process rather than running that through the injectors right off the bat.

Priming takes a couple of seconds with a 12v battery and some jumper wires(I often use a Dewalt 12V cordless battery).

attachment.php

Prime.jpg

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Started drinking beer and messing around on the lathe tonight.....turned out pretty good. 1/4" NPT to Polaris fuel rail, out of solid brass.
1299df2889f5c4dc2969486fa92f5068.jpg
0ff76babb789e8f6402aec71b4a67f68.jpg
5a4a65070b43ed0f2eda22a92ddfc303.jpg

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
Just changed the filter on my 2014 SBA at 2200 miles. I'm far from a mechanic, so I wasn't sure if I should do this on my own or not but decided to give it shot after reading the steps here.

So glad I decided to do it on my own. Took me about an hour but I think by doing it, moving forward I could do it in 30 mins! Glad I got this done for some easy preventative maintenance, thanks for the write up!

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I replace the fuel filter on my sleds every year. Doesn't matter how many miles I've ridden. I consider this to be the most basic way to make sure there won't be any restriction of fuel to the motor.

After all the issues related to lean burn downs on past years, sometimes due to a restriction in the fuel line [read: might be a plugged filter] and other times failures due to other things; this is a must do for my sleds. No question.

BTW - I use a filter from EPS, not the Polaris one. 60% less than what Poo changes and no known issues that I'm aware of.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
My season has not started until now, so doing some maintenance.. 2011 Pro.

Siphoned out old fuel tonight, filled up with some fresh and primed through the system before starting with a 12v battery. Easy and convenient.

Tomorrow is fuel filter time. Thought for sure I needed to by some fancy tool, but studied filter and believe I have a simple and dirt cheap trick to release the coupling. Will report back and include a pic if it works.

RS

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Don't recall where you are, but the fancy tool is the same as a Ford fuel line connector release. You can get cheap plastic ones that work in a pinch for about $1US. Or easily fab up a couple pieces with tin or plastic. You'll get it.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Your are doing the right things. New fuel, new filter. I bought a set of six of the fuel filter removal gizmo's from an auto parts store. Standard car tool. $10-$15 for the set.

It has to fit around the metal portion of the fuel line, then be pushed down into the end of the filter connector to push back the barbs that hold the filter on. Once the tool is pushed in, remove the tool and filter together.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
where can you find the best deals on fuel filter for a 2013 pro?

I have heard pros and cons about the SPI replacement filter.
I just ordered mine Thursday afternoon from High Performance Engineering and it was delivered to my shop Friday at noon. It was like $79. Idk what brand it is but I would think any of em r good for a season.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I just ordered mine Thursday afternoon from High Performance Engineering and it was delivered to my shop Friday at noon. It was like $79. Idk what brand it is but I would think any of em r good for a season.

Update: I think this fuel filter sucks. It does not follow the stock contour very well. You can see in the picture that it naturally wants to sit about an inch higher than the bracket it is sposed to fit in. When I cram it into the bracket, it puts a lot of stress on the air box (tries to lift it up) and also on the connection up at the gas tank.

Pretty sure I'm gonna send it back and buy a different one.
18ed94af9944a171f8f080ed5b732032.jpg

Here it is in the bracket but if I take my hand off it, it's on the verge of popping out.
7200abe2ca196379bdde4f667c681f48.jpg

Sorry pics sideways

Premium Features