• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Longer tunnel cooler for 2014+ sleds?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
It looks like like AC only sells the full assembly and they're one gigantic piece of non modular aluminum that involves a full tear down.

Is there anyway to get an extended cooler on these things? I thought about just putting one on from a 141 XF but having to completely tear down the front of the tunnel doesn't sound too inviting. This shouldn't be that hard. Is there a clean way to cut into the existing mid positioned cooler to add an extension?

And spare me the 'get off the trails' BS, it's april. :D

Got some friends with some ascender sleds that need it more than I do apparently.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Was trying to avoid the ski scratchers.

Just wondering if there was a sane way to tap into the existing cooler.

If not I guess I could mount some second scratchers with a backplate. That's kind of cheesy though.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
I’m real interested in more cooling as well. I had a poo 800 that ran 130-160f and did a bypass t-stat system that put it down to 104-118f which the motor liked soooo much more. My 15 m8000 runs 130-160f and I know that’s range is fine blah blah. But cooler temps are flat out better for performance and reliability.

Looking at the coolant system diagram everything is tight. Could possibly cut somthing in on the hose that goes to the over flow(red arrow) but to what and how well it would work???

If your wanting to keep temps under 160f then scratchers would do it or some have tried the bolt through the ski thing

9D2FF2E2-0AA1-440D-B286-A6A7B01D05E2.jpeg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
youguys running a full stock flap?
just curious, heard that helps. i run a shorty flap and have no problems before my polaris buddies do, so everytime we stop for them i kick a little snow in the skid and also run no goggle bag in spring, lets more heat out

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Mostly a full flap. Just cut off the bottom part with the logo. That little shouldn't matter that much.

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Replacing the cooler isn't as bad as you would think. The book says it should take 5 hours. The last one I did took me around 6 hours. If you had two guys that new what they were doing you could prob have it done in 4 hours or less

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Replacing the cooler isn't as bad as you would think. The book says it should take 5 hours. The last one I did took me around 6 hours. If you had two guys that new what they were doing you could prob have it done in 4 hours or less

What kinda temp improvement are u seeing with longer cooler? Thanks

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I didn't do mine, I work part time at my cat dealer but the coolers from the 12 and 13 m8 sno pros prob doubles the size of the cooler

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'd probably go with something from a XF HC sled. Remember the tunnels were a little different shape in the M sleds for 12/13.

Do you need to pull the motor to get to all the coolant mounts in the back?

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I’m one of the Ascender guys with cooling issues. We ride a lot of tight winding trails that get packed down hard to get to some of our zones. If it hasn’t snowed for a while it is pretty much impossible to keep the warning light from coming on. Thinking that even a set of tubes running out to the back of the tunnel would help, maybe a little shorty cooler from an earlier sled added back there so it gets directly hit by snow being kicked up by the track.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439243&page=2

id look at summ8rmk's findings, i dont think the zukes run much different.
might not solve your issue but then again it might be the difference.

It's the same cooler configuration so I don't see why it would be any different. Might not be the same numbers but if one improves, I'm sure the other would too.

Hey eldo, I don't remember, did you cut the bottom of your flap off?

I might get an extension flap to hang off the end for this time of year.

Last edited:

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I’m real interested in more cooling as well. I had a poo 800 that ran 130-160f and did a bypass t-stat system that put it down to 104-118f which the motor liked soooo much more. My 15 m8000 runs 130-160f and I know that’s range is fine blah blah. But cooler temps are flat out better for performance and reliability.

Looking at the coolant system diagram everything is tight. Could possibly cut somthing in on the hose that goes to the over flow(red arrow) but to what and how well it would work???

If your wanting to keep temps under 160f then scratchers would do it or some have tried the bolt through the ski thing

Referring to the diagram in XCaSSAULT's post, does anyone know the direction of coolant flow through the cooler? Just curious as which hose is the inlet and outlet to/from the cooler.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I just ordered some truck flaps to extend my snow flapper. I'll see if that works.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
15yrs ago, i bought a roll of rubber padding.
1/8" thick x 14" wide x 2ft long.
Bolted it to the bottom of the snow flap.
Worked great, no more over heating.
It drug on the ground.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Referring to the diagram in XCaSSAULT's post, does anyone know the direction of coolant flow through the cooler? Just curious as which hose is the inlet and outlet to/from the cooler.

Coolant flows from the lower RH fitting thru the right cooler and back to the front in the left cooler and out the LH fitting as you are sitting on the sled.

thanks,
Woody

Premium Features