• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle stuck wide open. Hit a tree. Anyone else heard of this.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
OP explains it well in his first post to start the tread.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Sled history

Was looking at paper work I got on the last warranty repair I had done in January of this year. And happened to see this. Where it says case history, of original owner. On 3/06/17 complain or repair for stuck throttle. ?

20180216_080625.jpg

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Insurance totaled it out. Not getting another one

Had nothing but trouble with this thing.

G
Feb 9, 2014
Shuswap
I've experienced this several times. Always happens on deep days just below freezing and usually after a stop.
Water gets between the cable and housing near the flipper. When you stop, it freezes. Take off again and and the ice 'plug' pulls out with cable as you give it throttle, but the return spring isn't strong enough to clear the ice and it gets stuck.
I lube the cable with fluid film and keep some methyl hydrate (little lock de-icer bottle) in the glove box. A squirt into the housing usually keeps it clear for the rest of the day.

Not necessarily what happened to you, just my experience. I've seen poor cable routing with aftermarket risers cause throttle issues too.

Last edited:

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Holly s**t I am keeping my tether at all time now

That was a long distance

wileybird

Premium Member
Feb 20, 2011
Always wear a tether. Even in the backyard

I had that same exact thing happpen to me 10 years ago on an old arctic cat el Tigre 5000. Had to pour a lil gas down carbs to get it to fire n didn’t realize the throttle cable has kinked n wasn’t fully closed. Pulled start rope n away she went!! Thank got it hit the only tree between me n the house or I would of had same problem! Just say my dad had a few choice words for me when he found out his sled was smashed!!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
If you're referring to the OP he did say the tether came out so I would assume he was wearing it.

On a slight tangent... has any OEM or aftermarket provider ever considered a "power off brake"? When the tether comes out it would pull electrical power. Loss of electrical power causes the device to apply the brake via spring. We use this type of device on some drive systems I work on and the hydraulic disc brake is a great application for it.

It seems to me the track momentum can really carry a slide quite some distance after the motor cuts out. Not to mention that a power off brake would prevent a lot ghost rides into the trees for some otherwise benign fall-offs.

This sounds good but brings problems. First is on a steep downhill slope the sled will usually roll and cause more damage due to the locked track and therefore an, antilock braking system is required. That system would be way too heavy as a battery is required along with much hardware. When the motor is off and the belt is dragging through the clutch there is at least some resistance to slow the sled. With the sled off hopefully you will not get ejected and ride it out.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
This sounds good but brings problems. First is on a steep downhill slope the sled will usually roll and cause more damage due to the locked track and therefore an, antilock braking system is required. That system would be way too heavy as a battery is required along with much hardware. When the motor is off and the belt is dragging through the clutch there is at least some resistance to slow the sled. With the sled off hopefully you will not get ejected and ride it out.

Just trying to understand your point about the locked track causing the sled to roll...

Are you saying on a steep slope it's better to have the track spin with some resistance (motor off) so that it points itself downhill and stays upright?

Whereas a locked track on a steep slope tends to cause the sled to get sideways and then roll, causing lots of damage?

Premium Features