• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Set Screw issues

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
For what ever reason i cannot get my set screws in my MTX weights to hold? They keep backing out. I have even tried red lock-tight? I have tried new ones three time and even tried new pins with no luck! Any ideas?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I drilled the holes in the bolts that hold the weights just a hair deeper. It worked for quite a while until one of the bolts snapped right at the hole at about 6,000 RPM. I have replaced all the bolts and set screws. I didn't look to see if the setscrews held after my last ride. I sure hope so.

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
I've also been doing that with the last two sets of pins. But they still wont hold! And i've seen them hold but start to cut the pin like you had happen.

M
Oct 10, 2012
North Dakota
Try and clean the hole out real good and screw. Then spray some either on both and blow dry with air. Might have to heat them the next time to get them out. Either really cleans it good. Use it all the time on the farm. Mark

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Ive done that also! I dont know what the hell is wrong with them! I have to heat them to remove them and re-set them! But the wiggle loose when i ride!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
hmmm...ether has a top end lubricant...i would use brake clean or acetone for cleaning..

but if locktite is failing ya why not try a silcone coating on the threads and/ or drag the threads with a hard steel to roll the threads over abit...

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Your weights must be shot then ,evidently the threads are completely shot. If your cleaning the threads and using red lock tite and its just coming loose they have to be shot or your clutch is getting so hot the weights are heating up and releasing the locktite. Just get different weight problem solved.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
You can try the set screws with the knurled cup that grips a little better along with possibly using the green loctite, 620 I believe. It is very important to burn off or clean off all the old loctite and residue before assembling. Also important to properly cure the loctite, I believe minimum 3 hrs at 60 degrees, but that's for red. Check the TDS to be sure

Stack

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have found similar issues with mine.

What I have been doing is removing the set screw, bolt and weight, cleaning everything up very well.

getting all the old red loctite off the set screw, then spray the Loctite primer in the weight, I am not to sure if the material that the weights are made of might not take to loctite as well as standard cold rolled or hot rolled type material. So the primer ensures it bonds like it should.

One other thing is no matter how well you think you have the set screw centered in the divot in the pin, it is probably off a bit. I always turn the bolt back and forth a bit when I think it is set and sure enough I will get a little movement, re tighten the set screw until the "wiggle" is out of it. That way you know your set in the center of the bolt divot.

Then check them a lot and good luck.

Thunder

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
So why does this seem to be a problem with only the MDS weights?

Is the super aggressive profile of the weights somehow making the weight and pin want to move independently?

Has anyone spoken to Steve about this issue? Does he have ideas?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana

Is the super aggressive profile of the weights somehow making the weight and pin want to move independently?

OP is having trouble with MTX, not MDS weights.

05M7

Jan 2, 2008

i was one of the first to have that problem with the MDS could never get it cured. ended up just checking them before every ride.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I have found it to be an indicator of primary roller failure.

I have had better luck the past few seasons ordering set screws from cat by the truck load, and NEVER reuse them.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Funny, on my primary with the MTX weights the screws are holding fine.

It's the primary with the MDS weights, that won't stay in the holes. However, once I got the MDS weights dialed in, I haven't put the primary with the MTX weights back on my sled.

Maybe that's why the set screws are holding so well? :face-icon-small-dis

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
yes yes 100%

I have found similar issues with mine.

What I have been doing is removing the set screw, bolt and weight, cleaning everything up very well.

getting all the old red loctite off the set screw, then spray the Loctite primer in the weight, I am not to sure if the material that the weights are made of might not take to loctite as well as standard cold rolled or hot rolled type material. So the primer ensures it bonds like it should.

One other thing is no matter how well you think you have the set screw centered in the divot in the pin, it is probably off a bit. I always turn the bolt back and forth a bit when I think it is set and sure enough I will get a little movement, re tighten the set screw until the "wiggle" is out of it. That way you know your set in the center of the bolt divot.

10/4 blablabla yep
Then check them a lot and good luck.

Thunder

10/4 blablabla yep thats how it's done

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
So i had a very interesting problem with mine.. I had one set screw that kept coming loose. So i took out the bolts and discovered that the cam arm that was coming loose had a different hole in the bolt where the set screw seats.. it a little round point in the middle of the hole, like a little ball. The other bolts and the 4 new ones I just bought only have a hole for the set screw to seat in.. I dont know where the one bolt came from, but no matter what i did, it would come loose every ride. I also make sure the weight swing free.

Jim

Last edited:
X

XxXModRods

Oct 7, 2012
Spokane WA
So i had a very interesting problem with mine.. I had one set screw that kept coming loose. So i took out the bolts and discovered that the cam arm that was coming loose had a different hole in the bolt where the set screw seats.. it a little round point in the middle of the hole, like a little ball. The other bolts and the 4 new ones I just bought only have a hole for the set screw to seat in.. I dont know where the one bolt came from, but no matter what i did, it would come loose every ride. I also make sure the weight swing free.

Jim

Yep X2

Premium Features