• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone use a battery warmer?

M
Jan 5, 2018
I bought a couple adhesive pad block heaters I'm going to hook up to the bike. One will be on the block and the other I'll insulate and put under the battery. The plan is to be able to plug the bike in an hour or so before heading to the trailhead.

Anyone try something like this with any luck?

M
Jan 5, 2018
Did you use those when out on the mountain or just for the first start of the day?

I tested the block heater a little and it just seems too hot for a battery. Im going to find something with less heat.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Did you use those when out on the mountain or just for the first start of the day?

I tested the block heater a little and it just seems too hot for a battery. Im going to find something with less heat.

Look for a “battery blanket”.

They are used up in the oilfields quite a bit.

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I run my battery tender and and a transmission pan heater while transporting my bike in the bed of my truck.

The heating pad is adhesive backed and I used copper gasket silicone to help stick it to the bottom of the engine case. I covered the area with some dense cell foam and it’s covered up by my skid plate. With an engine blanket and a cover on my bike, my bike is 30+ degrees warmer when arriving at the trailhead. The battery is topped off and the bike cranks easy as the oil is a reasonable temp.

M
Jan 5, 2018
I run my battery tender and and a transmission pan heater while transporting my bike in the bed of my truck.

The heating pad is adhesive backed and I used copper gasket silicone to help stick it to the bottom of the engine case. I covered the area with some dense cell foam and it’s covered up by my skid plate. With an engine blanket and a cover on my bike, my bike is 30+ degrees warmer when arriving at the trailhead. The battery is topped off and the bike cranks easy as the oil is a reasonable temp.

How are you powering the block heater from your truck? Is the battery tender providing the power or are you running an inverter?

Premium Features