• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New CMX Ski

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
1c1840ecf79cbfe76783f1c3ef55d5e4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E
Dec 19, 2007
Yay! something interesting. I thought this forum has been pretty dead lately.
The ski looks better in that it clearly does not have the parobolic shape on the sides. That was the biggest problem with the old one.

S
Feb 9, 2017
ski loop/straight edge vs curved edge

Is the ski loop machined aluminum!?

I feel that the yeti ski's curved edge only performed well in deep pow.
It always seemed to be a bit of a handful on the hard pack.

If I were yeti I would have tuned back the curve on the ski to make it more manageable in the variety of conditions.

Have always liked the predictability of the straight edge ski's however they do like to wash out more frequently.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I own all the top three skis. In order of preference for me its Camso, Yeti then TS. This new CMX ski looks pretty much like the Yeti ski to me at least close enough that I doubt I would spring for it at this point. The Camso ski isn't grabby like the Yeti ski is, in fact it could use a slightly larger outside keel IMO. They all suck on hard pack its what they do in the deep that counts.

M5

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I own all the top three skis. In order of preference for me its Camso, Yeti then TS. This new CMX ski looks pretty much like the Yeti ski to me at least close enough that I doubt I would spring for it at this point. The Camso ski isn't grabby like the Yeti ski is, in fact it could use a slightly larger outside keel IMO. They all suck on hard pack its what they do in the deep that counts.

M5

you can mount camso to yeti spindle?

M
Jan 14, 2004
you can mount camso to yeti spindle?

I think it could be done but I haven't done it myself, it would require machining some custom plates and spacers. I looked at it, I could probably do it in a couple of hours on the mill. I would make them in a series of offsets until I got it right. I have the big ugly Camso spindle and a TS spindle myself, the Camso is on my YZ and the TS is on my CR500. The Camso spindle while not winning any beauty contests is tough as hell and has a pretty robust mounting system.

Mt

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Last spring I ran into the CMX bunch in Cooke City. There was a 450 YZ 137" with the new spindle. As I'm riding a 137 with the Yeti front end I wanted to see if there is a improvement. The snow was spring snow with some slushy and some crusty in the shaded areas. The YZ had an improvement. CMX must have changed angles on the spindle because the Yeti ski didn't grab at the snow as hard as mine did. Maybe not as much flex as the Yeti spindle allows. Just that improvement made me want one. I then road Mark's bike. I don't know if it was the 120 or the 129". The length didn't matter. I rode it 25 yards down hill and was sold. At the time I didn't know it was his new spindle with the prototype ski. In that short distance it really felt like Mark had added power steering to the bike. Gone was the side hilling pull. Gone was the amount of energy needed to hold a line. These skis are coming in October (hopefully). One of the neat parts is that the tail of the ski is tipped up to aid in ski lift if you have to pull the bike backwards. Keep in mind that I got to ride a prototype ski so he probably did a lot more things then what I noticed. I got one of the first four prototype full kits that CMX built and it is still great so I am not afraid of ordering the spindle and ski sight unseen.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Last spring I ran into the CMX bunch in Cooke City. There was a 450 YZ 137" with the new spindle. As I'm riding a 137 with the Yeti front end I wanted to see if there is a improvement. The snow was spring snow with some slushy and some crusty in the shaded areas. The YZ had an improvement. CMX must have changed angles on the spindle because the Yeti ski didn't grab at the snow as hard as mine did. Maybe not as much flex as the Yeti spindle allows. Just that improvement made me want one. I then road Mark's bike. I don't know if it was the 120 or the 129". The length didn't matter. I rode it 25 yards down hill and was sold. At the time I didn't know it was his new spindle with the prototype ski. In that short distance it really felt like Mark had added power steering to the bike. Gone was the side hilling pull. Gone was the amount of energy needed to hold a line. These skis are coming in October (hopefully). One of the neat parts is that the tail of the ski is tipped up to aid in ski lift if you have to pull the bike backwards. Keep in mind that I got to ride a prototype ski so he probably did a lot more things then what I noticed. I got one of the first four prototype full kits that CMX built and it is still great so I am not afraid of ordering the spindle and ski sight unseen.
If CMX builds it be assured it will rock, Their commitment isn't to flood the market but enhance the sport with hand built kits,They are strong and last so don't let a few $$ taint anyone's decision.The skid forward , lower approach angle design is key.If your into doing huge drops then a steeper approach angle may be better suited , for powder ,extreme tree riding there in none better, I ride them because they are proven on the mountain. I will be grabbing the new front end as well.

Premium Features