• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Why did my POST COUNT drop ??????

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Last night we ran all of the VBulliten Maintenance modules in an attempt to get all of the databases cleaned and optimized as much as possible to get a handle on the constant unending "DATABASE ERROR" reports.

Part of this standard maintenance run is to have all of the "Counters" on the forums Re-Count.

This means that VBulliten goes through every single post, and re-counts all attributes of it, and then rebuilds the master counters lists.

While I have done this many many many times in the past, I have NEVER seen people's post counts DROP like this.

Many people are reporting MASSIVE drops in post count!

Please understand that not one single person on SnoWest had their post counts lowered on purpose. This was a fully automated process that is built into the forums and designed to be run on a regular basis.

The only thing that MIGHT explain this, is if those post counts that you had yesterday were NOT from "THIS" forum. If those counts were carried forward from some previous forum where all of the historical posts were not fully/properly imported into the VBulliten system, then the new post counts would be 100% accurate for all the posts you have made since "THIS" forum was launched a couple years back.

I will get looking into this today to try and see whats going on.

S

Super B

Dec 26, 2002
Monticello, MN
www.rooost.ca
From what I gather, back in Nov. of '07, SW went to a new format. During that change, our join date and post counts were reset. Alan (the old Mod AC) manually changed our join dates and post counts as requested by the member. Christopher did a maintenance feature that removed what AC manually entered a few years ago.

S

speeddemon

Feb 27, 2006
buckley wa
glad to see ur looking into it ! i know alot of people will be upset on here because of this ! thanks for trying to fix it !!!
mike:D

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Its almost certainly a case of HAND SET POST COUNT values that were brought into the new forum.

Those values represented your HISTORICAL POSTS and not the posts that actually appear on this forum.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Copypasta from ....

I think you are EXACTLY CORRECT.

While I do NOT yet know this for certain.
It "APPEARS" that when the old database was imported from the previous forums, not all the posts came over, but your post count did.

So when the counters went through the current database they didn't find all of the old posts from the previous forums, and your post counts were adjusted to reflect ONLY what is available on this forum.
Old forums were totally dropped. Those that requested their numbers (Join date and post count) be transferred had them overwritten by admin/bigd. Post/join was an offset value from what VBulletin saw.

I just re-ran the counter by hand.

DID ANYONE'S POST COUNT JUST JUMP UP?
Uhm, yeah... by ... a lot... lol

if it recounted -everything-, even posts from deleted threads, I could see my post count being 30k+... but 40k sounds pretty high.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The post count numbers are stable and TRUE now.
They are the actual posts that can be found on this forum right now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The Information Technology department at Harris Publishing is TRYING to locate one of the old archived copies of the previous forum.

But so far NO LUCK.

May take a couple days to find it as it was NOT where they thought it had been stored.

If we find it, I THINK I will be able to recover a great deal of your post counts AS WELL AS your actual posts!

If not, then we are stuck with what we now have.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
yep

I dropped consiberly also- 4,000 to 600 and being on the old 4-M/ it was a status thing but now it appears that it was not that big of a deal now..
I guess we all grow up.
When peeps mess with someting and cannot figure out what the heck they did wrong- it's a wake up to not sweat the little things

B

BigJake

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jul 23, 2009
What in the *%@!!* happened to all of my post count!This is anarchy at its worst, sonofa**&( now this just ruined my whole week!! I am not even a senior member now!!:eek::rolleyes:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What in the *%@!!* happened to all of my post count!This is anarchy at its worst, sonofa**&( now this just ruined my whole week!! I am not even a senior member now!!:eek::rolleyes:
Your certainly racking up more posts tonight than you have in a long time!

B

BigJake

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jul 23, 2009
Your certainly racking up more posts tonight than you have in a long time!

Just like to stop by every now and then. I guess I don't fit the definition of a post whore........if I could be by the computer more I would make an awesome moderator.

Premium Features