• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Exxon/Polaris. . . if you ride in Cooke City period READ THIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
Came out to Cooke City this weekend with my brand new Pro RMK with 103 miles on it. After our morning ride we came in and grabbed something to eat, after lunch I couldn’t get my sled to start. I didn’t have spark or fuel. Went over and talked to the mechanic/owner Rick at Exxon Polaris in my full gear and helmet and walked in the door and right off the bat he rudely said why don’t you take off your d*mn helmet so I can hear you, (although my friends standing ten feet back could hear me just fine with their helmets still on and backs turned to me). He sounded like he knew about as much about my sled as my dog and didn’t act like he had the time of day to help me. Frustrated, I pulled it over to BEARCLAW BOB’S (he lets you park your sled in his heated shop to melt off for the night for $10) and parked my sled in and went to the motel while my buds went riding. Next morning I pulled it back over to Exxon/Polaris and asked nicely (with my helmet off of course)if they could check it out, being only a couple days old, my dealer where I bought it hadn’t registered it for warranty yet so the mechanic didn’t even want to look at it although I offered to just pay him. He said it was going to take at least 2-3 hours to figure out the problem and even if he did figure out what was wrong he didn’t have parts nor would he take parts off his new ones sitting outside under 4 foot of snow just to get me out riding. Frustrated, pissed off, and eager to ride I agreed to rent a 2010 155 RMK that had a thousand miles from Exxon for the remainder of my trip, they wanted $145 for the half day and $210 for the next day. Well I was stupid and signed the papers. After I pulled out of there with my rental sled I saw BearClaw Bob on the street and he said he would rent me a brand new 2011 M8 for $100 for the rest of the day and only $175 for the next full day. Really upset I took my RMK rental back to Exxon and said I didn’t want it anymore unless they would cut me a deal. They did nothing to work with me or keep me happy and ended up charging me $30 in labor just to come out and RE INSPECT it before they would take it back after only 10 minutes and a hundred yards of ride time (since they were so busy LIKE USUAL yet only had one sled in their shop LIKE USUAL). Happy as hell to get out of that door I went over and saw BearClaw and he was the nicest most hospitable man out on the mountain. He was eager to help and actually had time to do so unlike the rude folks over at Exxon. He parked it inside for me at night in his heated shop and it was full of fuel and oil in the morning ready for me to get on and ride. BearClaw Bob will let you park your sled inside and let you use his tools, Exxon wouldn’t even let my friend borrow an allen wrench for 30 seconds to tighten up his deflector on his Ski-Doo, we went to Bob’s and of course it was no problem.

All I have to say is that I am so angry with Exxon/Polaris I feel like switching over to Arctic Cat and hauling my own fuel out there (Exxon’s owner owns both gas stations now) just so I don’t have to walk into their door again. BearClaw Bob is the man you want to deal with if you ever go out to Cooke, his wife cooks the best breakfast in town and he is one of the nicest most helpful guys I have met and that’s what it takes if you want your customers coming back unlike Rick at Exxon. I talked to a couple more business owners out there and they said they have heard customers complaining of the same thing. Maybe Rick just has too much money and doesn’t feel like he needs the business???? Whatever his situation is, he better change if he wants people to support him. Thanks Bob :present:

Last edited:

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Man, what a dink Exxon was/is.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your sled?

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
Ya took it into my local dealer today when i got home and explained the problem and in 2 seconds he told me that my voltage regulator failed and it fried my sleds ecu which controlled everything. Not very happy about it but he's trying to work something out for me since i had to rent and my $11,000 sled sat in the trailer. Too bad a mountain mechanic couldnt have figured it out like that

S

Saskdude

Nov 12, 2009
bear claw

I also second the service bear claw has. When I was down in cooke lasy year i Needed some welding done on my sled and bob was very helpfull. I brought it in there in the morning and he had me out the door in a half an hour or so. thanks Bob

S

scotty b

Feb 28, 2010
It was just like that ten years ago, never gave that (XXX) the pleasure of my money ever agian

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
confused

Since when does your problem become exxon/polaris 's problem? Did u buy from them ? NO -so maybe their busy with their customers. Customers that did buy from them ! Just because your frustrated doesnt warrant an emergency on their time . I dont know any of these people and have never been to Cook but this seems a little harsh to bash these people when honestly your sleds still not fixed because like exxon /ploaris said the parts arent avaible yet are they . And as for taking the parts off another sled that could ruin a sale or rental if someone else comes in there store to rent or buy. Not trying to start a fight just looking at both sides of the situation. :face-icon-small-sad As for the rental you signed the contract and could of been charged the full amount . By the way 100 yards in ten minutes how fast is that ? Are you telling your fellow Snowesters the truth or just jackin the story in your favor . As for wearing your helment in the store were you thinking of robing the place or what did you think (in a bigger city you wont do this they would throw u in jail for attemping to rob the place) I can understand why an older gentleman couldnt unerstand you . Sounds like you should have your skidoo friend fix your sled because to borrow a tool fix a sled (no matter how small the problem ) and return it in 30 seconds is darn good wrenching in my book. NEXT TIME YOU GO BASHING GET YOUR STORY A LITTLE MORE BULLET PROOF , I've got nothing in this but I think you owe EXXON /POLARIS AN APOLOGY! just my 2 cents

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
I would just like to say that Rick and Susan do a lot for that town and are very nice people!

It sounds to me like you might have had a attitude and that won't get your sled put in front of anybody else.

Rick may just save your life someday on search and rescue too as nobody knows that area better.

Hope you luck changes with the Pro.

KJP

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I dunno, a dealership that sells a product should be happy to service the customer. If the place was open, why wouldn't they try to diagonse the issue? Really, a Poo dealer not stocking an ECU and regulator with the history of those failures. I call BS or just a crappy dealer. The dealer gets paid for service work no matter where it was bought and if he doesn't want to service the sled then he should have never signed the dealer agreement.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Unfortunately, there are alot of dealers that shouldn't be in the business of dealing with people, many don't have a clue!!. There are a couple in my hometown that have never earned anyone's respect either. I have never, and will never, give them a dime. Good luck with the sled.

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
THANKS FOR THE BAD REP!

I dunno, a dealership that sells a product should be happy to service the customer. If the place was open, why wouldn't they try to diagonse the issue? Really, a Poo dealer not stocking an ECU and regulator with the history of those failures. I call BS or just a crappy dealer. The dealer gets paid for service work no matter where it was bought and if he doesn't want to service the sled then he should have never signed the dealer agreement.

I know what I'm talking about when I say the dealer doesnt have one because the factory doesnt have them availble yet . Sure you could make a v.d.o. (vehicle down order) and hope to see one a.s.p. but that wouldnt get him riding on this trip unless the trip was longer than 3 days .Warrany work is ok ,and most dealers will do anything to keep units in use but neither you or I know the work load of this dealership . Thanks again !

Storm47

Premium Member
Jan 26, 2010
Sauk Rapids, MN
service??

I believe it is called customer service. I would think that a business would want to be helpful and friendly to any customer. We also had a similar situation with the exxon. We were not impressed!

Since when does your problem become exxon/polaris 's problem? Did u buy from them ? NO -so maybe their busy with their customers. Customers that did buy from them ! Just because your frustrated doesnt warrant an emergency on their time . I dont know any of these people and have never been to Cook but this seems a little harsh to bash these people when honestly your sleds still not fixed because like exxon /ploaris said the parts arent avaible yet are they . And as for taking the parts off another sled that could ruin a sale or rental if someone else comes in there store to rent or buy. Not trying to start a fight just looking at both sides of the situation. :face-icon-small-sad As for the rental you signed the contract and could of been charged the full amount . By the way 100 yards in ten minutes how fast is that ? Are you telling your fellow Snowesters the truth or just jackin the story in your favor . As for wearing your helment in the store were you thinking of robing the place or what did you think (in a bigger city you wont do this they would throw u in jail for attemping to rob the place) I can understand why an older gentleman couldnt unerstand you . Sounds like you should have your skidoo friend fix your sled because to borrow a tool fix a sled (no matter how small the problem ) and return it in 30 seconds is darn good wrenching in my book. NEXT TIME YOU GO BASHING GET YOUR STORY A LITTLE MORE BULLET PROOF , I've got nothing in this but I think you owe EXXON /POLARIS AN APOLOGY! just my 2 cents

You do realize that you are walking the same path as the original post author right? Now you are bashing him and you weren't there. Not trying to start anything, just saying.........

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
Thanks

THANKS for the atn. but realize i'm not handing out bad reps tho.

Last edited:

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Came out to Cooke City this weekend with my brand new Pro RMK with 103 miles on it. After our morning ride we came in and grabbed something to eat, after lunch I couldn’t get my sled to start. I didn’t have spark or fuel. Went over and talked to the mechanic/owner Rick at Exxon Polaris in my full gear and helmet and walked in the door and right off the bat he rudely said why don’t you take off your d*mn helmet so I can hear you, (although my friends standing ten feet back could hear me just fine with their helmets still on and backs turned to me). He sounded like he knew about as much about my sled as my dog and didn’t act like he had the time of day to help me. Frustrated, I pulled it over to BEARCLAW BOB’S (he lets you park your sled in his heated shop to melt off for the night for $10) and parked my sled in and went to the motel while my buds went riding. Next morning I pulled it back over to Exxon/Polaris and asked nicely (with my helmet off of course)if they could check it out, being only a couple days old, my dealer where I bought it hadn’t registered it for warranty yet so the mechanic didn’t even want to look at it although I offered to just pay him. He said it was going to take at least 2-3 hours to figure out the problem and even if he did figure out what was wrong he didn’t have parts nor would he take parts off his new ones sitting outside under 4 foot of snow just to get me out riding. Frustrated, pissed off, and eager to ride I agreed to rent a 2010 155 RMK that had a thousand miles from Exxon for the remainder of my trip, they wanted $145 for the half day and $210 for the next day. Well I was stupid and signed the papers. After I pulled out of there with my rental sled I saw BearClaw Bob on the street and he said he would rent me a brand new 2011 M8 for $100 for the rest of the day and only $175 for the next full day. Really upset I took my RMK rental back to Exxon and said I didn’t want it anymore unless they would cut me a deal. They did nothing to work with me or keep me happy and ended up charging me $30 in labor just to come out and RE INSPECT it before they would take it back after only 10 minutes and a hundred yards of ride time (since they were so busy LIKE USUAL yet only had one sled in their shop LIKE USUAL). Happy as hell to get out of that door I went over and saw BearClaw and he was the nicest most hospitable man out on the mountain. He was eager to help and actually had time to do so unlike the rude folks over at Exxon. He parked it inside for me at night in his heated shop and it was full of fuel and oil in the morning ready for me to get on and ride. BearClaw Bob will let you park your sled inside and let you use his tools, Exxon wouldn’t even let my friend borrow an allen wrench for 30 seconds to tighten up his deflector on his Ski-Doo, we went to Bob’s and of course it was no problem.

All I have to say is that I am so angry with Exxon/Polaris I feel like switching over to Arctic Cat and hauling my own fuel out there (Exxon’s owner owns both gas stations now) just so I don’t have to walk into their door again. BearClaw Bob is the man you want to deal with if you ever go out to Cooke, his wife cooks the best breakfast in town and he is one of the nicest most helpful guys I have met and that’s what it takes if you want your customers coming back unlike Rick at Exxon. I talked to a couple more business owners out there and they said they have heard customers complaining of the same thing. Maybe Rick just has too much money and doesn’t feel like he needs the business???? Whatever his situation is, he better change if he wants people to support him. Thanks Bob :present:

that's awesome bob. switch to Cat? three brands in one year :face-icon-small-sho just messin with ya :face-icon-small-win

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
ski-wiz, when you have 10 new sleds sitting outside under 4 foot of snow and are not even willing to rent them out and are asking $1000 over book i would say rob as many parts as you need to keep one customer happy and coming back instead of hoping someone comes in and buys all ten and one is missing a part that you can have in two days. A hundred yards in ten minutes involves driving a hundred yards and talking for 9 about renting a sled with a decent company and driving back. Another thing, its cooke city not a huge city everybody wears helmets and typically a 10 second question two foot away from a mans face doesnt require un-buckling for a minute. Im not too concerned about a more bullet proof story cuz the truth is always the best in my book. Im sure rick is a great guy and has helped a lot of people in the needs of survival and other acts and i thank him for that but when it comes to people skills and service stay in the back and have someone else do it if youre too frustrated with your job.

F

FrozenMOTO

Jul 21, 2010
Moscow, Idaho
Wow that would have pissed me off. I hate it when dealers are dicks.

Sounds like this bob guy is pretty cool. I dont even know that I would have let you use my tools. Maybe if I was there or something.

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
THE FACTS

Cooke doesnt offer 2011 sleds for rent at this time and the quoted price for a new Pro is M.S.R.P. which is for example $ 11,599 for a 155" . Just stating the facts . Thanks again for the bad rep. By the way how was the snow and what dates was your trip. Never been to Cooke but would love to get there someday. Please no hard feelings Bob !

Facts for this post were gathered using the dealers web site ! Sorry if this ofends anyone ,ck. the web site I found it to be most helpful .

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
Ya took it into my local dealer today when i got home and explained the problem and in 2 seconds he told me that my voltage regulator failed and it fried my sleds ecu which controlled everything. Not very happy about it but he's trying to work something out for me since i had to rent and my $11,000 sled sat in the trailer. Too bad a mountain mechanic couldnt have figured it out like that

Am I missing something here are mountain mechanics bad people?

skiwiz

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
laramie wy
Just my 2 cents

If I was Rick an offer to trade for a like sled would have been presented after a connection to the polaris digital wrench and a double ck for part availabilty was researched . Provideing the selling dealer would in a timely matter get this sled warranteed. ACTUALY IF POLARIS FACTORY READS THIS POST THEN THIS CLAIM SHOULD BE REJECTED -----HUH------- however what would this sled be worth in trade .

Well I'm off for a little sleep knowing that the dealer where I BOUGHT my sled takes very good care of me and all his customers .

Maybe knowing this Polaris would never warr. this sled ---- good luck Bob !

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
Bad People?

What the h*ll are you talking about, mountain mechanics are bad people?!? Theyre the best people!! They are so great because they are in an isolated location and have the smallest window of time to fix stuff because peoples vacations are short!!! Skiwiz youre digging a hole, time to get out. Im just stating my frustration with the dealer and theyre service. I felt i was treated wrong and people should know. I dont need you in here knit-picking out every detail i stated. Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features