• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Psychosled "Bridge" Fuel Controller

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
he he he
its NOT the $$$

It just grinds me no end that I have to work so hard to get the little bits and pieces together.

I am a TURN KEY kinda guy.
I want to pay 1 price, get the complete kit, and be ready to go and INSTALL it without having to order in more stuff.

The fact that I tried to do this over Christmas just made it worse.

Either way I am ready to program the unit and hope to start the engine tonight!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Psycho is paying attention to all my rants and is working on a more complete package for those people like me that want the "Utiimate Kit" :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Quick Update.
Finished the install late last night.
Fired the engine up for the first time in 6+ months with NO troubles at all !!

Will post up more photos and details today.

All in all it went VERY SMOOTHLY! :face-icon-small-hap

Going out for a test ride just as soon as I get the seat bolted on!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Step 4 of the installation calls for you to locate and disconect the OEM IAT sensor. After having installed the MPI Supercharger mine was zip tied just outside of it on the rider's left side near the air intake.

picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Because I screwed up and mounted the Intercooler sensor pointing in the wrong direction, I had to thread the IAT senson line back across the intercooler to the opposite side of the sled to plug it into the Pig Tail that comes off of the new PC5 connecter that was welded onto the Intercooler.
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Next I cleaned the mounting location for the DynoJet/Bridge control boxes.
picture.php

And slid the primary control box into place on top of the radiator shroud as per instructions
picture.php

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
At this point I placed a quick call to Jeff at MotoPsycho to be SURE I made no mistakes on the download of the new custom map into the controller.

Much to my surprise I found out he had PRE-LOADED the map.
That was a pleasant surprise as reading the instructions I expected the controller to have no map in it.

STEP 5.
Turned the key ON, and powered up the system without starting the sled.
Green Lights!
Key OFF again.

STEP 6.
Loaded the CD-ROM which has the DynoJet programing interface software on it.

STEP 7.
Plugged in the Bridge Controller to the PC.
Turned the key ON again.
Now the software and the Controller are talking to each other.

STEP 8.
Verified that the custom Psyochsled map was in fact loaded into the Bridge.

STEP 9.
Calibrate the Throttle sensor.!
Follow the printed instructions closely and you won't have any challenges on this. This went very smoothly.

STEP 10.
Add gas to my new tank, prime the fuel pump, START THE ENGINE.

Fired right up on the first try with NO issues at all !!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Now.
I need to finish the reassembly of my sled.
Will take her out for a short test ride today to verify all systems are running.

Then will TRY to take her up to Island Park this weekend for a real shakedown ride.

Will report back on the results!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I also recommend using "riv-nuts" and button head cap screws in place of the pop rivets with the Skinz seat. It makes the "on and off" a breeze. They are the same item that is used in the subframe when installing an OEM skid plate.

You can generally find them at a hardware store, or at a Ford dealership parts room (they used to use them to mount pickup mirrors to door skins).

5RB10_AS01.JPG

Heading out to go find some of these now!!!

rivnut-ribed.jpg

000499-7.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is not going to go down as a season when I get a LOT of riding in...

Finally got the sled out on the snow for the first time today.

First Ride Today

So after unending delays, I finally got the sled out and rode her for the first time today.

=========

Sled took a couple seconds to fire up.
Then held its idle nicely.

No hesitation on low throttle, sled moves happily.

Sled wants to stall when at a stop and given hard throttle.
Not sure why, but there is a clear "stumble" going from Zero to WOT.

When running at half throttle and given full throttle, sled pulls ahead and then starts missing.

Sounds like a 2 stroke being "Brrrrped".

Wide Open Throttle is horrible.

Reminds me of last year at Togwotee all over again.

And it has NOT been like that on any ride after that day.

Its missing/dropping badly at WOT.
Much much worse than when you rode it last spring.

3 new plugs.
Fresh 91 Octane Pure Gas with No Ethanol in it.
2 gallons of 110 race fuel mixed in.

========

ANYONE GUESS what was going on here????

With this information I placed a call to Moto at Psychosled to ask him what he thought was happening.

I think it was pretty much all he could do NOT to laugh at me.

I have had this sled for several seasons now and put a fair number of miles in on it at all different elevations. A couple years normally aspirated and one season on boost. And I was CLUELESS why it was running so badly.

Anyone figure it out yet??

Moto's new system is not only working, but its working VERY WELL.

So well that the sled is running up against the RPM LIMITER within just seconds of hitting the throttle! 1,500 to 9,000rpm in an instant!

Never has this sled ever hit the RPM Limiter, so I had no idea what that felt or sounded like.

Apparently Nytrocity is making a bit more power than she has ever made before!:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Tomorrow I will take the sled up to Island Park for a long full day of riding. Will report back tomorrow night.

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Has anyone checked on Jeff to see if he is alright? He may have fallen down laughing and hit his head on the floor after he hung up..
It is funny sometimes we all get tunnel vision when we have been dealing with problem after problem with whatever we are working on. We get programed to think that everything that is happening is just a continuation of the same problem we had before..
I am sure if you would have taken a step back and paused a minute you would have realized things on your own.

Sounds like you might have to dial in your clutches again once you have a chance to ride the thing to work with the new found responsiveness of the engine.

Let us know how things go.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, its SOOO true.
Would have never even thought of it.
Just saw it as MORE of the SAME.

Jeff is a great guy, and he WILL make PsychoSled a success because of it.

So part of my goal tomorrow is to log RPMs at different altitudes and snow conditions and come back home with some sort of a feeling for when she is hitting the limiter, IF she even hits it once I get to 8,000 + ft of elevation. And then it will be time to throw a little more weight on the clutch!

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
B...

While I chuckled uncontrollably at your post, you made a very valid point.

We have found on nearly every controller we have sold that there are a plethora of "underlying issues" with each individual sled we have put a kit on.

The Bridge controller is the "cats azz" of controllers... IF the remaining balance of the sled's systems are correct.

Thus far, we have encountered systems that have inadequate bypass or blow-off valves, a complete lack of a bypass or blow-off, maladjusted waste gates, no inter-coolers, poor "cold air" intake systems, rotten clutching, no venting what-so-ever, bad or useless aftermarket parts, etc.

In the interest of making every sled we put a controller on run as well as possible, we work through each problem with each customer. In doing so, I'm pretty sure we are losing money on this deal.

I guess I can take solace in the fact that every customer I deal with will be happy, and have a GREAT running sled at the end of the day... That was what I set out to do in the beginning - thus far things are going well. :face-icon-small-hap

I really hate to say it, but if more companies would spend the time to address an ENTIRE sled build, they could pass off inferior fuel controls much easier, and they would be a much less obvious issue.

The whole is always a sum of its parts...

Premium Features