• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chest protector anybody wear one ?

bgreen776

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
Kenai, AK
www.backcountryrebles.com
I bought a tek-vest a couple years ago after a bad rib and liver injury, but I quit wearing it because its too bulky, heavy, and hot. I'd like to find something with no insulation and something that will cover my intestines a bit better than the tek-vest, any suggestions?

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I wear a tekvest also and used it a few times caught the bars in the chest a couple times and been ran over by my own sled once. Cousin uses a beewear also and likes it.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
Tek-vest here also. It's saved me from several injuries and when I take a spill I usually don't even feel it. It is warm but I just shed a layer instead of shedding the vest. I feel naked without it, so riding with it is just second-nature now.

That SixSixOne looks pretty good, though. Might have to check that out.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
tek-vest and shin and knee guards, they have paid for themselves in the first two times i needed them.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
661 core saver here, certainly no tek vest, but hardly know it is on and gives pretty good protection to your ribs, sternum, and spine. After a hit on the bars almost caused me to not go on a trip I ride with it all the time now.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
661 Vapor Pressure suit (is the current version) I have the older one.

Chest protection, shoulder tie downs (my shoulder has a habit of dislocating), spine, and elbow pads. It's pretty light considering fits under a sweater with a jacket ontop.

VAPOR.jpg

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
I ride with my Ac tekvest all the time every time!

Another great protection tool is a set of shin protectors! I got mine at Bobs cycle for like $15. They come up and have a nice knee pad in them also. Everytime we get back to the shack and another person pulls up there pants with bloody shin's I laugh.

More gear less chance of getting hurt = better chance of making the next ride.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
just a ? does anyone wear any type of chest protection when riding ? thinking of a tekvest , but kinda pricey , i know there is now $ safety any thoughts ? is there a cheaper brand that will be as good ?
dosn,t everyone wear one, I,d give up my helmet before the chest protection.Tek vest.best feature is the zip in fleece collar for those cold days

Last edited:
J
Jul 8, 2008
phillips WI
Raced sleds since I was 15, At 31 years old took up motocross Broke 12 ribs and collapsed both lungs at my very first race.I was wearing a chest protector and it saved my life.2 years later won my first ama district 16 race,couldn't have done that and alot of other things without wearing one.Any mountain rider should make them mandatory.One good hit and it will pay for itself tenfold.I have a b wear that I bought from rob at Haydays,I think it's the best protection out there,to bad they don't make them anymore.

D
Dec 28, 2007
bush company AK
what a bunch of sallys!!!

I never ride with one, and so what if i was just released from I.C.U. not two hours ago with major rib and muscle damage, and will not be riding for many days, hell $250 thats alot of bling, any idea how much PBR and roman noodles you could savor with all the $$$$$$ :D

seriously I will be wearing one before I ride again, this trip to I.C.U. was wakar for old DOC

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
661 Vapor Pressure suit (is the current version) I have the older one.

Chest protection, shoulder tie downs (my shoulder has a habit of dislocating), spine, and elbow pads. It's pretty light considering fits under a sweater with a jacket ontop.

do the shoulder straps help. i had a few dislocations last year and couldn't pop it back in. its a long way back to the truck and a hospital with your shoulder popped out. was thinking of getting a 661 brace. someone else makes one but can't remember who.

LiveAlaska

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2008
I never ride with one, and so what if i was just released from I.C.U. not two hours ago with major rib and muscle damage, and will not be riding for many days, hell $250 thats alot of bling, any idea how much PBR and roman noodles you could savor with all the $$$$$$ :D

seriously I will be wearing one before I ride again, this trip to I.C.U. was wakar for old DOC
and what the heck did you go and do Doc?? :beer;

Premium Features