• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DREAM TRAILER: 2019 Mirage project trailer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hey Christopher, hows the trailer doing? Anything you've noticed that you love/dislike about it yet?

She is hooked up behind me right now. So far this trailer has had no issues to speak of at all. One of the exhaust fans touches the exhaust screen and scratches slightly, but that is about the only thing that needs my attention. All in all I have been VERY happy with this one. Best new feature by FAR and away are the new joint covers for the front and rear ramps!

It’s so nice to not have to clean out the hinges after loading or unloading the sleds before closing the doors!

Love the new LED lights in the roof and having the couch back!

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
She is hooked up behind me right now. So far this trailer has had no issues to speak of at all. One of the exhaust fans touches the exhaust screen and scratches slightly, but that is about the only thing that needs my attention. All in all I have been VERY happy with this one. Best new feature by FAR and away are the new joint covers for the front and rear ramps!

It’s so nice to not have to clean out the hinges after loading or unloading the sleds before closing the doors!

Love the new LED lights in the roof and having the couch back!

Good to hear. I've been following the last couple of trailer builds you have done and I am in the process of finishing my new trailer right now. Just need to build my radio/storage cabinet and boot/glove dryer and I am about set. I ordered the same couch (from a different company) and it showed up damaged so I am waiting on the replacement to arrive. I've been going back and forth on buying 2 of the fold down benches from mirage as well but just can't get over the $275/each price tag.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Just an FYI Chris, per my recent visit to the DMV to register my truck for 2 more years, they have a sign posted that if you haul a boat, utility or livestock trailer that when the trailer is loaded puts your gross combined weight (truck & trailer) over 8000 lbs, you need a non-commercial license plate.

It's probably a good guess that 90+% of us hauling sleds trailers are not registered (legal) for the 8001 - 16,000lbs GCWR we haul. Currently, most of us have what ID considers "Passenger Car" plates/registration.

Here's the info from the ID DMV website.

https://itd.idaho.gov/itddmv/
Click on the "registration fees" tab for the information

I'll be an outlaw for two more years...LOL

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
So what the heck is the difference between a passenger and NON commercial plate you mentioned???

To give you an idea, the curb weight of my 2015 GMC 3500HD 4x4 CC/LB SRW with the diesel engine is right around 7800 lbs not including the topper.

PASSENGER VEHICLES

Idaho code sets the basic annual registration fee for passenger vehicles (pickup trucks, neighborhood electric vehicles, or other motor vehicles having a maximum gross weight 8,000 pounds or less) as follows:

TRUCKS

Non Commercial (not for business purposes) and Farm Trucks (used to haul farmer’s own crops to market) for 12 months-by weight category.
<table style="width: 100%; border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <tbody> <tr style="border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc; background-color: #d9edf7;">Gross Weight (vehicle weight and load weight combined)</td> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc; background-color: #d9edf7;">Fee for 12 months</td> </tr> <tr style="border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">8,001 – 16,000</td> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">73.00</td> </tr> <tr style="border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">16,001 – 26,000</td> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">86.08</td> </tr> <tr style="border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">26,001 – 30,000</td> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">116.68</td> </tr> <tr style="border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">30,001 – 40,000</td> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">155.08</td> </tr> <tr style="border: 1px solid #ccc;"> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">40,001 – 50,000</td> <td style="padding: 5px; border: 1px solid #ccc;">213.28</td></tr></tbody></table>

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Sorry edit wouldn't work correctly.

With the non-commercial truck plate, you pay for the weight category you need. Most of us would need the 8001 to 16,000 category

Just giving you a heads up is all. Like I mentioned, I'll be an outlaw for the next 2 years. I'll register it in 2021 to a non-commercial truck for the 8000 - 16,000 category.

I have yet to see ID DOT stopping utility trailers with the exception of I have seen ID DOT stopping wood haulers at the weigh station south of Ashton but that was many many years ago

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
UPDATE:

cf121b6bd5347fe40c366281c6353d76.jpg

One of the biggest changes in the 2019 trailer was the adition of this new cover for the read door joint. Now that I have had the chance to use the trailer a dozen or so times I can report that this new feature WORKS GREAT!!

I was a little concerned that the Horizontally Mounted plates that hold the Poly-Vinyl strip in place would wear poorly from the ski carbides, but repeated use has proven that to be a non issue. They are standing up great to the abuse.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
UPDATE:

One of the biggest changes in the 2019 trailer was the adition of this new cover for the read door joint. Now that I have had the chance to use the trailer a dozen or so times I can report that this new feature WORKS GREAT!!

I was a little concerned that the Horizontally Mounted plates that hold the Poly-Vinyl strip in place would wear poorly from the ski carbides, but repeated use has proven that to be a non issue. They are standing up great to the abuse.

Trails west has been doing that for years.

Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was thinking trailswest quit doing that. Mine is 14 and has it.
Couldn't honestly say.
What I do know is that this has made the post ride cleanup MUCH easier and I no longer have ICE building up in the joint.!

With 5 sleds in and out ever day over a long weekend, we used to bring an Ice Chipper just to get the Melt-Freeze out of the joint every morning.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
UPDATE:

Whats the material … LEXAN?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
its not lexan. lexan is a rigid material.

we have rolls of it at work for making door partitions - i'll look at the label the next time im in that area.

Premium Features