• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is a new TS ski worth the $500?

2smokin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2018
Bozeman MT
I would just add that the aro spindle is not too hard to bend/break. ripped mine clean in half a few weeks ago catching a rock. on the bright side it didnt bend the forks. Happy with the ski performance though!

A
Nov 14, 2017
I upgraded from the Timbersled MH ski to the ARO last year and it was a very good decision. It handled better everywhere.

I will add that I was able to use the spindle from my 2015 ski and just mount the ski. I had to modify it a bit by reaming it out, but it fit.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
I got to ride an ARO and my 17 ST LE side by side for the day. Spoiler, Im buying the new ski.

On the very icy and rutted trail the old ski was better, but after a little but i built up the confidence to go flat out on the ARO. Went probably 5 miles? It took more arm strength but was manageable.

In the powder the ARO really shined. We had 8-10" of fluff on top of a great base. The old ski washed out a lot and would "skid" a little on the turns. I never once had the ski wash out on the ARO. (the track did once). It was truly confidence inspiring in the trees. Very much a go where its pointed all the time.

It is also more stable. I thought the ARO track would be more tippy but it wasn't at all. I was on a kick start bike and didn't have problems. Maybe in part because of the ski is more planted? idk

I should note that both skis have stock skags. Nothing ground off either.

A
Nov 14, 2017
I got to ride an ARO and my 17 ST LE side by side for the day. Spoiler, Im buying the new ski.

On the very icy and rutted trail the old ski was better, but after a little but i built up the confidence to go flat out on the ARO. Went probably 5 miles? It took more arm strength but was manageable.

In the powder the ARO really shined. We had 8-10" of fluff on top of a great base. The old ski washed out a lot and would "skid" a little on the turns. I never once had the ski wash out on the ARO. (the track did once). It was truly confidence inspiring in the trees. Very much a go where its pointed all the time.

It is also more stable. I thought the ARO track would be more tippy but it wasn't at all. I was on a kick start bike and didn't have problems. Maybe in part because of the ski is more planted? idk

I should note that both skis have stock skags. Nothing ground off either.

While I agree with what you are saying, do keep in mind that your fork height setup can make a big difference in the feel of both environments.

What you are describing is a bike set up with a lot of ski pressure. So it darts around a lot on the hardpack and has more bite in the powder. If you push your forks down in the triple clamps you will increase ski pressure, and you can get effects like what you are describing.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Apples and oranges , put the trackers on the old ski and see what happens ? So if you do that the next question is which one gives you more arm pump ?

Am I missing something ?

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Apples and oranges , put the trackers on the old ski and see what happens ? So if you do that the next question is which one gives you more arm pump ?

Am I missing something?

By trackers you mean the skags right? They dont fit. The hole patern is different. Im pretty sure I could take them off my aro ski and it would still work better than the old ski with skags in the soft stuff. The new ski just holds better in the powder. I’ve spent lots of money on “upgrades” that did nothing. In my opinion the ski/spindle upgrade is money spent that actually makes a performance difference. Of course you do need to beef up the spindle but that’s cheap and easy.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Hmm , the angled iron on the outside on both sides is what I'm babbling about .

Was just looking at a new one too , I should of measured .

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
You have to grind the Center skag A lot front and back that reduces steering effort and allows it to slide over land mines instead of wrecking forks — or go straight to a triple carbide or duelly runner. I did a bit on the outside ones as well but not much — the rest is set up.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Aro

Aro ski is WAY WAY BETTER !

TO THE POINT it is funny to hear other riders complaining about riding conditions or the three miles of bumpy trail, I say, hey you need to step up to a better ski.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
aro iron

Last year I posted a picture of the 5 or 6 different center skags we built and tested on the ARO ski.

After three months of riding were went back to the stock skag with smoother profile on the front to minimize drag on downed trees etc.

WE liked the Gold Bar center skag on the old ski, new ski ? not so much, was ok but not better than stock.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Hmm , the angled iron on the outside on both sides is what I'm babbling about .

Was just looking at a new one too , I should of measured .

Oh, That makes sense. I never checked the outsides. I will do that when I get home tonight. I have both of them sitting in my garage.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
FYI I have an ARO ski I bought 5 days ago in classified section for sale now at $300 + shipping.
It worked great I just blew my track out. so I'm pating out and getting rid of everything and starting over.

Premium Features