• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Trailer bottom out Modz??

L
Sep 27, 2009
Westbrook, MN
Alright guys I've searched around the forums and cant seem to find anyone doing it or any pictures but ordering a new trailer and was talking to the builder and was talking about dragging the *** end pulling in and out of gas stations all the time, and has anyone ever tried to like put some rollers in the back or a small set of like Caterpillar rubber carriage wheels to avoid scraping the actual trailer?? Just looking for some guidance or thoughts lets hear em!

agalen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Helena, MT
I have seen this as an option before on sled trailers, don't recall the brand though. I think they were metal rollers just mounted at the tail end of the two frame rails. (similar to wakeboard boat trailers that have the prop cage a few inches off the ground)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Wheels would reduce the already limited amount of clearance & would actually increase the frequency of incidents.

I've considered bolting on some steel wear plates at each rear corner.
Of course it would still "grind" but it would not be trailer structure wearing away.
If you wanted something quieter, perhaps some plastic or phenolic or something? I think steel would last the longest.

Cat401

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
I had the issue on a 5th wheel holiday trailer some years ago. I went to a hitch shop and they welded two skid shoes off of each back corner of the frame. Yes it made noise when leaving parking lots with steep driveways but I knew that the part skidding on the pavement was not the rear bumper.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Is the trailer riding level? I've never had any problems but I can see where it could be if my trailer wasn't level.

Cat401

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
My trailer was level but the axles were not flipped so it sat fairly low to the ground. It would only scrape the back end in severe steep parking lot exits

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
You mean something like this???

Made these myself and attached them with stainless self tapping bolts.

95d7cb449ee1548a136d29e0d30730e6.jpg

7bf0ce2cdb25f7c4176b7cba1c9f496f.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
With low trailers, do u not have troubles towing it through 1foot of snow? That is why i have a deck over tire trailer, it doesn't drag in 1 foot of snow and it will never scrape the ground.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
With low trailers, do u not have troubles towing it through 1foot of snow? That is why i have a deck over tire trailer, it doesn't drag in 1 foot of snow and it will never scrape the ground.

The axles are the lowest part of the trailer, & your axles on your deckover are just as low as mine. (probably even lower because of the smaller tires)

Last year we were plowing 18" of fresh & towed just fine. The differentials left the most obvious tracks in the snow.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I understand about the axle those are easy to drag through snow but the entire frame of the trailer I would think would be difficult to drag in the snow.
I assume that if the back of the trailer hits on the asphalt it would definitely be dragging in 1 foot of snow.

Premium Features