• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

secondary set screw M7

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
I had issues with the secondary adjuster backing out last year on my '05 M7 so I was going to put a set screw in the cover to keep it from backing out. I was just wondering if anybody that had done this could tell me the best way to do it???

Would it work better to put the screw in like a normal set screw where it pushes into the plastic adjuster, or would it be better to put the screw through the cover and "in front" of the adjuster to keep it from backing out?

Also would it be better to put in 2 set screws or just one? That and should I use a small tap and machine screw or would a self-tapping sheet metal screw work?

Photos would be lovely if anybody has them. Thanks!!!!

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I had issues with the secondary adjuster backing out last year on my '05 M7 so I was going to put a set screw in the cover to keep it from backing out. I was just wondering if anybody that had done this could tell me the best way to do it???

Would it work better to put the screw in like a normal set screw where it pushes into the plastic adjuster, or would it be better to put the screw through the cover and "in front" of the adjuster to keep it from backing out?

Also would it be better to put in 2 set screws or just one? That and should I use a small tap and machine screw or would a self-tapping sheet metal screw work?

Photos would be lovely if anybody has them. Thanks!!!!

I would think two in the front cover as opposed to the side whould work better. If I recall those are all plasitic right? Is it the lack of a shift assist that is backing off the adjustment ?

If you need something machined PM me I will hook you up for a very reasonable rate. If you send me pictures I could probably come up with something.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
There is no shift assist in there. But from what I have read/researched it was/is common for the adjuster to back out. Yes, the adjuster is plastic.

So you're saying put 2 screws in the face of the metal cover...hmm..I hadn't thought about doing it that way. I was going to try to put them in the rounded edge...but thats a good thought.

If somebody had a photo of one they did that would be amazing.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
There is no shift assist in there. But from what I have read/researched it was/is common for the adjuster to back out. Yes, the adjuster is plastic.

So you're saying put 2 screws in the face of the metal cover...hmm..I hadn't thought about doing it that way. I was going to try to put them in the rounded edge...but thats a good thought.

If somebody had a photo of one they did that would be amazing.

Putting them in the side would limit the amount of adjustment and probably jack up the threads in the plastic.

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Good call. Well I think I will go ahead and do that then. Thanks!

dgreet77

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
TTT. The more I think about this the more I'd like to have a picture of one somebody had done.

Also I thought I saw a replacement aluminum adjuster somewhere...but can't for the life of me find it, was thinking maybe try that and an orange spring first...Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Premium Features