• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

enclosed trailer tips

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I don't camp in mine just use it for repairs ect so I only use one AGM deep cycle 12v battery connected to a 10amp converter charger I can plug in at home or to a generator. The converter charger I have is used for charging and maintaining batteries for trolling motors I picked up from a sporting store. It was on sale for $50 the actual RV ones run well over a $100. I also have the battery connected to the 12V aux pin in the 7pin trailer connector which charges the battery when my pickup is on(at least on the newer fords).

To do this do you have a diode or something so the 12 volt battery does not feed back to the truck battery or does that not matter? Also do you just have your AUX lead go to the battery and that charges it or do you need a charger from the lead to the battery?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
To do this do you have a diode or something so the 12 volt battery does not feed back to the truck battery or does that not matter? Also do you just have your AUX lead go to the battery and that charges it or do you need a charger from the lead to the battery?

Most trucks that come with auxilary batteries are already set up for this. If you do this from a single battery vehicle, you need an isolator that allows current to flow only when the engine is running or you'll drain the "vehicle starting" battery.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I'm not sure on all vehicles but at least on the newer dodges and fords the Aux wire is shut off by the pickup when the ignition is off which prevents problems. I also usually unplug the trailer from the pickup just to be safe. The Aux lead in the 7 pin connector goes straight to the battery. Most trailer do this anyway to charge the small breakaway battery. This is doing the same thing just a bigger battery. Also to clarify this is the battery in the trailer not the second one on the two vehicle. I have since pulled that entire setup and I'm using a actual RV unit which both converts 110 to 12v and charges the battery.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I think most trailers or at leat mine when new used the 12 V lead (black) and not the orange Aux power to keep the breakaway battery for the brakes charged. My interior lights run off the orange Aux power therefore I don't even need the keys in my truck or my truck running to have interior lights in my trailer as long as it is plugged into my truck.

This is the circuit I want to add a 12 Volt deep cell battery to my trailer and use the Aux wire to keep it charged when the truck is running.

3274132386_0723915d6c.jpg

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I was wrong. I looked at my connector today and my interior lights must run off the black #4 12 volt. I do know my truck does not have to be on to have lights but must be plugged into the trailer.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
The trailer should only be supplied power when the ignition is on in the tow vehicle. Also, the center orange wire in your diagram is commonly used for reverse lights on the trailer... VERY nice to have by the way!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Both my suburban and my duramax let me turn on the trailer interior lights without the ignition on. Kind of handy actually. Ive left my truck plugged in for days with no ill effects. After looking ar it closer it appears my battery for the brakes does not get charged from anything. There is one hot wire and one ground on the little brake battery. Anyone know whymy 12 v brake battery only reads 7 volts on my meter?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
There is some really great information and ideas on this thread. I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to enter the photos and information to help other people out. We are making plans on buying enclosed. This thread has helped out a lot. Thanks again guys.

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
Enclosed

I wish I could have paid more to have gotten it years earlier. They are so nice compared to open trailers.

mckinney

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Cut out a couple coat hangers on the laser. Designed the opening to help from dropping hangers during the drive with a tear drop shape. Used the last couple rides. Gear dries SO much quicker than hanging on the wall.

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I see alot of you have some guides for skis some old belt for traction, but only on the doors. What do you do to keep the main floor from getting cut up and ruined withe the skis and skags??
Comercial grade carpet is awsome on the floor of trailers

mckinney

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Evans, Co
Coat hangers

Meathookers coat hangers look good, I would like to see them on a spring piano hinge so when nothing was on them it would fold up out of the way. I would hate to have gouges in my helmet from this. Nice design so the hangers won't fall off during transport.

mckinney

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Bumping this to the top. Just purchased an older 2 place interstate that I have the floor torn out of right now. I have wire wheeled the frame and am getting ready to spray it with paint tonight. I am replacing the floor spare the doors and painting the bottom side of the floor as well as the top with a textured finish. The PO had ski guides throughout the trailer so I am putting them back in. Also plan to build a helmet rack and a deflector in the front to direct the skis with storage for oil in front of it. Don't look to get too fancy but I like all the ideas.

I am having a problem with the wiring and lights. The clearance lights don't work, and on my way home, when the lights were turned on, the brakes locked up. Haven't dug too far into it but know I'll be facing some issues.

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
I was wondering, the guy's that insulated there trailers what did you use to cover the foam on the ceiling? I insulated mine and used luan plywood and from temp differences it warped and looks like ****. I would like to put something in that looks better.

D

DeckTred

Oct 31, 2016
Best Trailer Floor You Will Ever Get

We have been installing this floor in trailers for years now and it holds up to the abuse, wear and tear, and extreme conditions snowmobiling puts it through.

Included in our installs is an industrial water sealing of your base layer, all the flooring material for your deck and ramps, diamond plate edging, gap coverage from ice build up on your ramp hinges, and track cleats for the ramps for easy loading.

Post on this forum or shoot me an email at cody.barker@fullcourtfloors.com, or call/text me at 435-757-6651 if you have any questions

We can ship nationwide!!

IMG_0911.jpg Cole Willford Professional Snowmobile Hillclimber.JPG Copy of IMG_0451.JPG Copy of IMG_0459.JPG Copy of IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0910.jpg

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
have 2x100 w on my travel trailer roof for the last 3 years.
you would have to mount it to a support rib for sure.

Premium Features