• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project minimalist tube frame

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Neat concept!

Good for you for stepping outside of the box. Regardless of the outcome you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you tried something different than the mainstream...

Good luck!

F
Jan 30, 2016
Small Update, you can see the rear drive and extensions on the skid.

Also, mocked it up inside the track, unfortunately the rear extensions bent under mere track tension (FAIL) and will need to be much stronger.
Now to start on the chassis.

IMG_2684.jpg IMG_2686.jpg

Last edited:
F
Jan 30, 2016
Small Update, you can see the rear drive and extensions on the skid.

Also, mocked it up inside the track, unfortunately the rear extensions bent under mere track tension (FAIL) and will need to be much stronger.
Now to start on the chassis.

IMG_2684.jpg IMG_2686.jpg

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have thought about the front swing arm on the drive shaft previously and wondered why no one does this. It is very interesting and I am glad someone is trying it. I am wondering if the front swing arm will be beefy enough to handle the torque of the suspension and the chain pulling on it? I would also assume the skid will be heavier than the typical design too with the extra components you will need to drive from the rear?

O

olymon

any chance that you can mount two bearings on the shaft that are on the inside edge of the drivers. Make another bracket like you have and put a removable end cap on the inside rail so you can clamp onto the bearing.. Having a fork like that should help with you strength issue. maybe even tie the forks together right in front of the drivers.

F
Jan 30, 2016
Got the 2 piece front arm and intermediate chain idler complete.
Also of note is that the front arm connects directly to what will be the front driveshaft.

image.jpeg image.jpg

F
Jan 30, 2016
a small update.

still working on the rear shock arm linkage.

used f7 front shocks. nose got extended 1 foot to fit the motor. This allows it to be down low instead of up on the tunnel, lowering the CG.

chassis2.jpg chassis 3.jpg

Last edited:
F
Jan 30, 2016
do you say that because the nose seems long?

I think its too long myself, would rather shorten it up as much as possible. but then as the nose gets shorter the engine needs to get moved up higher so that the carb does not hit the front of the tunnel.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Yes the nose seems long. But I dont want to dis your build. Id like to see it complete. My thoughts are raise the engine. There is a fine line between to high and to low. To low and you loose the "flickabilty" factor. To high and all it will want to do is tip over.

F
Jan 30, 2016
thanks for the input. It is why I post here.
I think i am going to shorten the nose 7 inches and raise the motor so that the carb is just above the top of the tunnel.
Pics to follow.

F
Jan 30, 2016
Nose shortened. Motor installed as a stressed member.

cd49e8f1379243bd02a736f7f3dc29b9.jpg
fa140617725c074630f4a4840a6f52de.jpg

Premium Features