• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rip n grip brace kit...worth it

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I have both kits for 18 850, but STILL have not installed. I've been careful this season wven in the low snow conditions, and haven't had any issues.

Is it worth the time and effirt to install? I'm considering just selling the kit.

Thanks.

It's hard to say if it's worth it or not because it's one of those things you buy that you hope you never use, like an airbag or insurance.

I have the kit on my 17. Since the install, I've hit something solid 3 or 4 times with no frame damage (knock on wood!). Did the kit save me from damage during these hits? It's hard to say, 'maybe' is the best answer I can give. However, I will say that I would rather have had the kit installed during those hits than not.

It's your call, but I'm glad I installed mine. If anything it's a good re-sale perk if I decide to sell my sled.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, I've been using them for years, I like the way it bridges the front and rear mounting points. Is it the final solution to preventing frame damage? Surely not, but I'm of the mindset that "more is always better". The new braces are easier to install than the old ones, takes an hour or two with a well equipped shop

The BRP engineers I assumed used FEA to determine where strength should and shouldn't be. You add a brace and make the s module stronger now the next weakest link is the E module. Not too much fun to swap out. Not sure on Gen 4 but S module on previous chassis wasnt bad at all. Personally I think the best solution is BRP to make the A Arms cast and weakest link (as poo) or aftermarket should be investigating it much more than bracing.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
The BRP engineers I assumed used FEA to determine where strength should and shouldn't be. You add a brace and make the s module stronger now the next weakest link is the E module. Not too much fun to swap out. Not sure on Gen 4 but S module on previous chassis wasnt bad at all. Personally I think the best solution is BRP to make the A Arms cast and weakest link (as poo) or aftermarket should be investigating it much more than bracing.

excellent answer and one more is when you strengthen one area it just passes a hard hit to another area, namely the tunnel.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
Going to cast arms wouldn't be bad but what they have right now (chromoly) for a-arms material is seaming to break before other things as of the 2018 updated bulkhead. Bulkhead supposed "issues" of 2017 seem to be non-existent now.

Last edited:
J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Going to cast arms wouldn't be bad but what they have right now (chromoly) for a-arms material is seaming to break before other things as of the 2018 updated bulkhead.

Yep, I hit a rock early this season and my right upper A arm got tweaked, but I was till able to ride the rest of the day and it was pretty easy to swap out. I'm OK with cheaper easy to swap parts failing first to "protect" the more expensive hard to replace parts of the sled.

Early this season a friend of a friend hit a rock right on the nose with a polaris, he had a big tough aftermarket bumper, which hit the rock, and all the energy of the impact went directly into the bulkhead, and cracked it, totaled the sled, he was going not much faster than walking speed.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have the braces on my sleds and I have ruined 4 ZRP billet lower A arms. I've given up on running the ZRP A arms because it was getting a little expensive. I have what I consider only 1 hard hit which threw me from the sled and that ruined the Fox Air shock as well. I have stock lowers back on there and I am curious to see if I bend or break one of them. I'm hard on stuff :face-icon-small-coo

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
oh yes the genius of brb engineers over the last 15yrs of total junk bulkhead design should not be overlooked .
pretty sure they are being head hunted by pop can manufactures
if you own a xp with out a brace kit you deserve everything coming your way

Last edited:
oh yes the genius of brb engineers over the last 15yrs of total junk bulkhead design should not be overlooked .
pretty sure they are being head hunted by pop can manufactures
if you own a xp with out a brace kit you deserve everything coming your way
Your spot on. BRP designed the s module to tweak before the E module. It's cheap and easy to fix. There are alot of internet engineers now adays.....

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
problem i’ve always had with the S Module is that it can be doubled in strength and still be weaker than Emod... ie the RS race sled version, not necessarily the grip n rip. i’ve replaced 3 S mods on various sleds and each time the sled should have easily been able to take the blow. strong chassis and weak a-arms should be the common sense approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
Your spot on. BRP designed the s module to tweak before the E module. It's cheap and easy to fix. There are alot of internet engineers now adays.....

great deal for them sell a expensive time consuming module as apposed to building a sled that can hold up to a arm getting bent or even ripped off the sled . you know like a cat or poo. then you spend 125. and 35 min of your time . yeah cheers to brp for that top notch engineering that padded there dealers pockets and ****ed up trips for years .

Last edited:
great deal for them sell a expensive time consuming module as apposed to building a sled that can hold up to a arm getting bent or even ripped off the sled . you know like a cat or poo. then you spend 125. and 35 min of your time . yeah cheers to brp for that top notch engineering that padded there dealers pockets and ****ed up trips for years .

Sounds like there is no reason for you to be in the doo area. Your mind is made up. Enjoy your Cat or Poo.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
In my experience, ride it until you tweak the original one and then replace it with the reinforced one off an RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Premium Features