• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Torque Wrench - What to buy?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I am looking at buying a good torque wrench, and am looking for any suggestions. I do not need anything fancy or overly expensive. Thanks!

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
The Craftsman $60. 20-150 lb. has worked real good for me for years. I use it now and then and I'm not a mechanic by trade.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
i got one from harbor freight for about $16... 1/4" drive, 20-200.

F
Dec 20, 2007
I'm not sure if I would personally buy a torque wrench from Harbor Freight, i'm sure they may be fine, but ive broken quite a few of their hand tools, and I would question the accuracy of it. I would get a craftsman one for home use.

S
I have the Craftsman Foot pound and Inch pound which you will need to do some of the work. Not too expensive and very reliable. One thing though, no matter what brand you buy make sure to read the instructions and unload it to those specs when not in use. they lose calibration if you don't

R

rockin rmk

Oct 27, 2002
Great Falls MT
i have2 snap on tech wrench 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive the 3/8" is certified for aircraft use. they both read degrees - ftlbls - inch lbs -and nm. best torque wrenches on the market

I would look for a used quality wrench......mac, matco, snap on, proto, sk......any good quality tool, then have it calibrated. I have a bunch of harbor freight stuff, some of it is getting to be very good quality, but I would not trust a cheap torque wrench.

if a socket fails you know it, if you stretch a bolt too far....you don't know it till it's gonna cost you waaay more then a NEW quality wrench

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I have been very satisfied with Armstrong Torque wrenches. They are good for everyday use and aren't too expensive for the hobby guy. You can get them at tool shops such as Grainger, McMaster and so on I think.

Good quality, they can be calibrated and we used them all the time when I was in aviation maintenance.

I have looked at the Craftsman electronic one, it has a nice clean look and isn't break the bank expensive.

B

big_wally81

Jan 22, 2008
duluth minnesota
i use the snap on torque wrench. best one i have ever used. i would look for snap on, mac, matco, any of the good names if you want it to be accurate

D
Dec 4, 2007
Denver, CO
in a torque wrench I'd definitely drop some coin for quality... i worked in a tire shop and we used all snap-on and even they went out of calibration...i'll buy tools at harbor freight but definitely not something that needs accuracy

Premium Features