• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tki belt drive

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
they started out magnesium, went to aluminium, back to magnesium...

they played musical materials/suppliers over the years...BJ

Yeah for sure , and if we go back far enough then they were stamped steel lol

Sleds have come a long ways in their evolutionary development .

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Duplicate post , tried to delete it , no luck

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If you're going to do a belt drive I'd do it because you believe there is a performance gain and not for weight loss. I doubt if there is more than 1-2lbs of weight loss with a belt drive on the 850

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
I'm not only doing it for performance and proper and better track speed and weight but also bc they are very reliable. Not to mention more rotating mass gone

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
If you're going to do a belt drive I'd do it because you believe there is a performance gain and not for weight loss. I doubt if there is more than 1-2lbs of weight loss with a belt drive on the 850

I know this is an old thread, but there is about 5 1/4 pound total loss, with close to 3.5 pounds being rotating mass. The chain alone is 2.25# heavier than the belt alone. Just installed one and weighed everything on a food scale.

T
May 16, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but there is about 5 1/4 pound total loss, with close to 3.5 pounds being rotating mass. The chain alone is 2.25# heavier than the belt alone. Just installed one and weighed everything on a food scale.

I really appreciate the specific info on this, I’ve been considering this and I was curious. Thanks!

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Would stock belt drives be that much more for Doo to put in place? Why can't they doo it if Polaris does it??

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Would stock belt drives be that much more for Doo to put in place? Why can't they doo it if Polaris does it??

Because there is little demand from the consumer. If you buy a Ski-Doo over a Polaris you have already accepted that you are okay with a heavier sled for other traits you like. I sell 4:1 Polaris drives over Ski-Doo and Polaris already has a belt drive model. It is also 50% of those belt drive models that get upgraded to the TKI.

Honestly the Polaris rider and the Ski-Doo rider are of different demographics.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Because there is little demand from the consumer. If you buy a Ski-Doo over a Polaris you have already accepted that you are okay with a heavier sled for other traits you like. I sell 4:1 Polaris drives over Ski-Doo and Polaris already has a belt drive model. It is also 50% of those belt drive models that get upgraded to the TKI.

I think you're right. I don't know how many times that extra 30# of weight kept me from climbing that hill or doing donuts in the powder! Please read in my sarcastic voice. Personally at this stage in the snowmobile game and in my life I only spend money on stuff that makes my machine better. Not necessarily lighter. I ride Ski-doo though so I don't understand the mentality of trying to spend a bazillion dollars on making **** even lighter than it already is. Adding a pipe....performance and weight loss. Adding titanium bolts, washers, and nuts....weight loss and checking account loss. Not sure if the a belt makes a G4 run better or not. I know its more reliable so who cares about the weight loss if you get either increased reliability of know weak spot or increased performance. win/win

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT

This is probably the biggest understatement on snowest! lol

Im a polaris guy myself and I fully admit its a different crowd. The Pol crew tends to likes to race spec sheets and tinker and build and chase weight and power numbers. Buids involving things down to machined internal motor components and other random stuff to save grams are fairly common. shocks boards power adders etc are VERY normal.

Doo guys like to put gas and oil in and ride. Simple clean bolt on accesories (LinQ) and cans dominate the mods being done.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

Im a polaris guy myself and I fully admit its a different crowd. The Pol crew tends to likes to race spec sheets and tinker and build and chase weight and power numbers. Buids involving things down to machined internal motor components and other random stuff to save grams are fairly common. shocks boards power adders etc are VERY normal.

Doo guys like to put gas and oil in and ride. Simple clean bolt on accesories (LinQ) and cans dominate the mods being done.

100% correct sir! But I don't really know why this is true. There are exceptions to the rule though. We did have a 2012 shop XM and it was tricked out with boards, beltdrive, pipe, can, t-motion, forward steering block, capacitor start, bars,Powder Wedges, etc. etc. That thing still rips. And for those Doo guys who react in sarcasm, I'm fine with that. Just hang back and miss out on what your sled and your ride "could be".

T
May 16, 2019

Is the Polaris oem beltdrive that bad that guys swap it for TKI??

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana

LOL, I'm a doo guy, and would have to agree with you 100%. Although my 850 I did just put a belt drive on, going to do a clutch kit(but my xm sled was stock), added a HPS can, skinz hood for weight savings, and want to do a jaws pipe.

But like you stated, going to leave the engine stock, and all this other stuff is bolt on.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Is the Polaris oem beltdrive that bad that guys swap it for TKI??

Its half way there. It is better than a chain but lacks low enough gearing and the top gear only is in contact with the belt for about 40% where the TKI has many gear options with the belt wrapping around up to 70% of the top gear. This spreads the load over more teeth and allows the belt to be run fairly loose without skipping. Once you swap your stop belt drive out to a TKI you will notice right away that you will have to set the parking brake way more to stop it from rolling away. (rolls that much better with a looser belt)

Last edited:

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I think you're right. I don't know how many times that extra 30# of weight kept me from climbing that hill or doing donuts in the powder! Please read in my sarcastic voice. Personally at this stage in the snowmobile game and in my life I only spend money on stuff that makes my machine better. Not necessarily lighter. I ride Ski-doo though so I don't understand the mentality of trying to spend a bazillion dollars on making **** even lighter than it already is. Adding a pipe....performance and weight loss. Adding titanium bolts, washers, and nuts....weight loss and checking account loss. Not sure if the a belt makes a G4 run better or not. I know its more reliable so who cares about the weight loss if you get either increased reliability of know weak spot or increased performance. win/win

the extra weight will not stop a person from having fun or getting around, but less weight does add to the fun factor and in awkward situations helps to get under control. Had a skinz hood,beltdrive and can on my G4 so around 24lbs less than stock and all on the front end and it was very noticeable and alot more fun to drive and bomb around in the trees/steep sidehills/twisty creek beds.Its cool if people just want a bone stock sled but dont kid yourself if you take close to 30lbs off the front of a sled it really changes riding in a positive way:thumb:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
It's just physics.

Less weight means you expend less energy every minute of the day you are riding. It adds up by the end of the day. My current sled is 40 pounds lighter than my last one. I tried my old sled back to back with my new sled and there was an obvious difference.

Weight may not be THE deciding factor with sleds, but it's a major one.

IF a belt drive shaves a few pounds and is at least as reliable and efficient as the chain drive, it seems like a reasonable option.

T
May 16, 2019
Its half way there. It is better than a chain but lacks low enough gearing and the top gear only is in contact with the belt for about 40% where the TKI has many gear options with the belt wrapping around up to 70% of the top gear. This spreads the load over more teeth and allows the belt to be run fairly loose without skipping. Once you swap your stop belt drive out to a TKI you will notice right away that you will have to set the parking brake way more to stop it from rolling away. (rolls that much better with a looser belt)

Got it! Didn’t realize that, thanks.

Premium Features