• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon for a fourteen year old?

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
Hey all, I have a nephew that we need to get a beacon for. He is fourteen and wants to ride with us more and more. He always has had a beacon before, but its time to get him his own. What is a good beacon for a kid that age? Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Last edited:

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
the best one you can afford it may save your life.......the tracker looks easy to opperate but the best thing to do is practice...

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Im 17...and I've had my trakker 1 since I was 15, and i like it. So i would go with trakker 1 or trakker 2

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
Thanks I was leaning towards the Tracker 2, and yes we plan on having many "drills". Mainly cause it's my arse he may need to find...

I have the Pieps DSP, but I am not sure if his dad wants to spend that much coin, I love it by the way, and would like it if he got him one. He loves to sled, so I don't think he will be walking away from the sport, so it could be worth it.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I'm pretty cheap......so for my 9year old I would probably get him the Pieps Freeride beacon because it is cheap and I would be able to find him in an avalanche but at 9 years old I don't plan on him searching for and finding me.

However, if he were 14 years old I would think that he would be able to use a beacon well enough to search for me and hopefully be able to dig me out. So I'd recommend the Tracker DTS at a minimum with my preference being a Tracker 2 for him because it is so easy.

M

mulestar

Dec 2, 2007
Thanks Snowbigdeal, I bought my Pieps through you, I believe I will point him towards the Tracker II, I am sure we will get it from you. Thanks.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Tracker 2 for sure and a nine year old and a fourteen year old can probably find someone quicker than most of the folks on this site. Kids get beacons fast and they usually are fast as well. The Tracker 2 is one of the best as it is simple to use, does not have too many bells and whistles and simpler the better. I would steer clear of the pieps freeride. The DTS is awesome but the freeride not so much..

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Any person who rides the mountains should have a beacon but more importantly, any person who rides the mountains should be able to assist in the event of an avalanche.

Man, woman or child...if you can't dig, you should think twice about going. If the group is big enough to cover physically weaker members then I guess it could work.

Start this boy's avalanche education now.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
My dad bought me and my brother tracker 2 and they are nice... They dont use much battery and they are easy to use... Took an avy class last february and it helped me to become more familiar with it... It might not hurt to get your group together and go hide something on a hill and have them find it, just good practice to stay familiar with their equipment. I would get him a tracker 2 they seem to be top of the line and i bet he will be able to use if for a long time.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
BCA Tracker DTS or Tracker 2

I have an extra DTS Tracker excellent condition, $200 Shipped it was my wife's and she doesn't ride anymore

M
Dec 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
mammut element looks pretty solid as well. Back to one button, i think my pulse is easy to use on the most part but would probably get an element to replace it. i had a tracker 1 before and it was simple to use but the other manufacturers are catching on to this and offering better functionallity at the same price point (eg mammut element, orthovox3+).

Honestly you just need to hide the price tags and go out an try all the 3 antenna beacons and then buy the one that you think that you think works best for you.

P

Polaris2012

Nov 6, 2011
Layton UT
Hey all, I have a nephew that we need to get a beacon for. He is fourteen and wants to ride with us more and more. He always has had a beacon before, but its time to get him his own. What is a good beacon for a kid that age? Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Go with the Tracker very easy to use and works well!! It is also not to expensive

M

mastertech

Mar 24, 2009
Cambridge/McCall Id.
www.snowestonline.com
The tracker is a top choice for many!

But the above stated about the free-ride.. When the free-ride first came out some buddys and myself took one out and myself as well as my buddys could perform the same with it as we did with other leading beacons..

I believe, If you practice and learn what needs to be done and are exsperienced you can go with a little cheaper beacon.

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I just got a Barryvox pulse and my 7 year old can use it without instructions. They have a newer model the element which is basically the pulse in basic mode (the mode I use it in).

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Any beacon that you know how to use will save someones life.

With that being said my wife and I both have Trackers,easy to learn and use.Haven't tried the second generation but if it's improved it should only be easier to use and better performance.

Premium Features