• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Members Map for Snowy Range Landmarks

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Here is a google map that will show where the landmarks known to snowmobilers are in the Snowy Range. Click this link: Snowy Range Map

Anybody can add the landmarks or any useful point that they know of to the map.
I encourage all to participate as it will be beneficial to all!

The landmarks I would like to see added would be the ones used here a lot as reference points:
1. parking lots (green rock, ect..)
2. passes (the gap, ect)
3. major lakes (Lake Marie)
4. rivers/creeks (North French Creek)
5. unofficial land marks such as
---- a. widowmaker
-----b. 7 fools
7. lodges

To add to the map, click the link above and sign into your google account.
If you don't have google account use this
username: snowierange@yahoo.com
and this password: snowyrider
then.....
1) Navigate the map to your landmark. Zoom in fairly tight.
2) Click the EDIT button that appears just below the map title in the left hand column
3) Set your place mark by first clicking the blue Placemark tool from the toolbar on the map. Click once on the location to add your pin. A little info box will pop up. Add your landmark to the title and any additional information you want to share to the description box.
4) Click SAVE

I think this will be a big help for all to become familiar with all the terrain. If someone has an avvy warning then the out of towners can see where it is.
Thanks for any that add to this map.

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have an overlay of the Snowy Range trail map onto google earth if you guys want it. IMO it would be easier to start with that and then add your points. You can change the opacity of the trail map as you add points. I have it downloaded to my GPS and was going to try it out on my next ride (it is not field tested yet)

You probably can't use the sharing function that you are trying to achieve, so it may not be useful for what you are doing.

It is too large to attach to a forum post, but I can email it. Shoot me a PM and I'll get it to you - it may take me a while to respond over the next few days, but I will get it to you eventually.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Wow, thanks for all the help guys. TONS of pins showing up already.

I was wondering if someone could pin North French Creek? There is a snotel up there somewhere, and I always hear warnings of riding that area. Would be nice to know where it is if for no other reason than to avoid it.

Also, for those that didn't notice it on the map, if you click satellite, it shows imagery of the terrain that clearly shows trees, clearings, lakes, ect, when you zoom in. Pretty cool.

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
Wow, thanks for all the help guys. TONS of pins showing up already.

I was wondering if someone could pin North French Creek? There is a snotel up there somewhere, and I always hear warnings of riding that area. Would be nice to know where it is if for no other reason than to avoid it.

Also, for those that didn't notice it on the map, if you click satellite, it shows imagery of the terrain that clearly shows trees, clearings, lakes, ect, when you zoom in. Pretty cool.

I believe your confusing North French Creek with South French Creek ( 7 Fools ).
North French Creek is farther north and west. South French Creek is basically below Lake Marie...
Turn on the Terrain check box under (More) in Google maps and it will label everything for you!

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
See sled 1 and sled 2. No idea how they got there or who owns them but they are in FC south of Lake Marie. :face-icon-small-con

7 Fools is due south of the sleds. hmmm.....also looks like someone has been dabbling in and around those stuck sled waypoints.:face-icon-small-sho

FC.jpg

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Thanks to all that helped pin landmarks. Really puts the area in perspective for me.

Also as mentioned, the terrain feature is great. Clearly shows what a depression 7 fools lays in.

Hopefully others that don't know the area really well will find it useful.

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
If you left click the pin, it will tell you what is there.

You can also click on the landmark name in the left colum, and it will automatically take the map to that pin....

N

NYColoraDan

Dec 22, 2010
Colorado
Does this map still exist? It would be helpful to have something like this, albeit the "stuck sleds" might not be the same from year to year, but geographical landmarks remain consistent. I could start something up like this but don't know a lot of the locations for markers. If people have coordinates for things like the widowmaker, etc... that would be helpful. Let me know.

J

jds

Mar 13, 2008
duluth mn.
Any info on this map would be great. I can't find any points either. I am heading out to rendezvous jan 30 for 10 days. I was there last year found some great riding but had no idea where we were going I'm sure we missed alot. Any info would be great thanks

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
****UPDATED***New Map

Hopefully some of the locals and regulars will help out and get this new map setup.
My old account closed due to inactivity and I cannot edit my original post, so here is a NEW PUBLIC google map that will show where the landmarks known to snowmobilers are in the Snowy Range.
Click this link: Snowy Range Map

Can a moderator edit my original post so the link brings up this map?

Anybody signed into a Google Account that uses the link above can add the landmarks or any useful point that they know of to the map

Placing a Marker:
Please zoom in on the map to accurately locate your marker point.
To add a pin, simply click the pin (Add A Marker) located right below the search bar and just to the right of the little hand. Your cursor should turn to a "+" that you locate where you want the pin then simply click your mouse. Then you can label the pin.

If you click the drop tab by "Base Map" at the bottom of the info box, you can select Satellite, Terrain, Street Map, ect to change the map.

I think this will be a big help for all to become familiar with all the terrain. If someone has an avvy warning then the out of towners can see where it is.

I hope everyone gets tons of snow and has a safe riding season!

Last edited:

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Hopefully some of the locals and regulars will help out and get this new map setup.
My old account closed due to inactivity and I cannot edit my original post, so here is a NEW PUBLIC google map that will show where the landmarks known to snowmobilers are in the Snowy Range.
Click this link: Snowy Range Map

Can a moderator edit my original post so the link brings up this map?

Anybody that uses the link above can add the landmarks or any useful point that they know of to the map

Placing a Marker:
Please zoom in on the map to accurately locate your marker point.
To add a pin, simply click the pin (Add A Marker) located right below the search bar and just to the right of the little hand. Your cursor should turn to a "+" that you locate where you want the pin then simply click your mouse. Then you can label the pin.

If you click the drop tab by "Base Map" at the bottom of the info box, you can select Satellite, Terrain, Street Map, ect to change the map.

I hope everyone gets tons of snow and has a safe riding season!

Based off of what I can tell, your map isn't open to editing by private party. There isn't a way for me to label or create landmarks. When I go to "Create New Map" it gives me more editing options then what is available in your link. To test this, I suggest logging out of your account and editing as a private party.

Edit:

Unless we are supposed to edit with the credentials mentioned in the first post. I haven't tried that.

Editing my edit:

I tried using the credentials. Google only allows logins via familar devices, so the owner of the account has to with a code to x device or account. As far as I am aware, there is no way past this.

Last edited:

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Fixed it...I think.

Try it again,
I believe I got the permissions set correctly now.
Now anyone who clicks the link should be able to edit.

Valley1090

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2016
I click on the link and it takes me to the map, but no pins show up.. I might have to try on a real computer instead of this smartphone

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
Link still works for me and many others. It's getting close to 100 visits per week now.
Remember that you need to be signed into a google account to use its functions.

Also, it works on my phone, pins and all!

Premium Features