• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WR Intake

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
Anyone have a 2015 or older WR 450 that would like to share information on air intakes? I have tried a few variations of the stock airbox, but know that I could be doing something better. Finished up last season with a dry filter covered with pre-filter material to keep the ice off of it. Worked well, but when the super dry powder filled the stock box it was starved for air. I ride this bike year-round, so I'm not really into cutting the bottom of the box out like I have heard others doing, but am open for suggestions.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Fill the airbox with sponges so the snow cannot pile up in the space.

Delete the foam inside the prefilter.

Just a plain pre filter wrapped around the filter cage.

Add foam gasket tape under the edge of the filter cage so the pre filter is pinched tight.

Last edited:

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Wrap the foam in saran wrap so they don't heat up and become 40 pounds of wet sponge.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
the aro kit uses the stock air box, no need to cut up an airbox. I know it doesn't help the snow injestion but, gives you somewhere to start. find all the areas air can get into the box, and tape them off with frogskin prefilter material. good luck. ski

mswine

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
I have a 2015 that i ride yr round. I use stock air box, cage & dry foam filter with Harley prefilter. I also tape prefilter/frog skin material over over the top of air box and at sides. I had a couple deep pow days and suprisungly never had any build up in the box. My biggest problem is starting in cold temps..

T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
I have some frog skin that I wrapped the dry filter with, and have put frog skin over the vents and over the battery box, but somehow still end up with an airbox full on the deepest days. It's not a constant problem, but when the snow is up to the handlebars we can't afford to be giving up the HP...

I replaced the stock muffler with an FMF and am running the YZ ECU. That made the bike start a lot better, but still won't fire in gear about 50% of the time. Happy with the performance gain and consistent temps of that set-up though.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have some frog skin that I wrapped the dry filter with, and have put frog skin over the vents and over the battery box, but somehow still end up with an airbox full on the deepest days. It's not a constant problem, but when the snow is up to the handlebars we can't afford to be giving up the HP...

I replaced the stock muffler with an FMF and am running the YZ ECU. That made the bike start a lot better, but still won't fire in gear about 50% of the time. Happy with the performance gain and consistent temps of that set-up though.

That WR will never start on the button in gear well.
Either winter or summer.

Best fix is to buy a newer yz450fx.
Or a pumpkin........

Last edited:
T
Nov 1, 2011
Kingston, Idaho
That WR will never start on the button in gear well.
Either winter or summer.

Best fix is to buy a newer yz450fx.
Or a pumpkin........

I agree. It has never started willingly in gear. The new ECU has helped, but it is what it is...

The 2019 FX is on my wish list for next year when I can get a hold-over. Love the idea of the higher strung motor with all of the updates and also the ability to tune it from my phone.

Premium Features