• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Alpha

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I am in the same situation. What did you order for the D&R.
I talked to my dealer and he said one more year of holdover sleds. In 18 the dealer's were allowed to order what they could sell. When in previous years they were forced to take what A/C said. This year he has like 3 or 4 18's left but is still sitting on a bunch of 2017's. Once the hold overs are gone that should help stabilize the used market.

For the D&R keeping the chaincase you'll need:
1. Both parts of the mountain cat chain case, or just the inner part with a BDX cover and small oil tank.
2. Both guards for the underside of the case and brake disk, or some aluminum aftermarket ones from Racin' Station or another company I forget the name.
3. Template kit from TKI.
4. Brake disk cover by the footwell, or get creative re-drilling yours to bolt to the caliper.
5. 8T driver setup.
6. New chain and possibly gears if you don't already have a 2016 with the Borg Warner setup and a steel lower gear.
7. A bunch of time and patience.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Over the weekend I had a chance to ride a 2016 that has the dropped chaincase installed, 3” track and sucked in body panels, and I have to say it was still way harder to ride than my 2018. Especially on downhill turns it took a lot of pull to get it to lay over where as the 2018 would go with just foot pressure. I think the more forward boards help a lot here. I was surprised at how much of a difference there was, figured they should be real close but they aren’t.

I think it was a set up issue. I have ridden both the 17 and 18 MC and the handling is very similar. The 18 is very smooth for sure. It rolls over in a smooth arc, the engine is smooth, the clutching is smoooooth. The 17 handles much the same but feels more raw. I can take either stupid places and with the shocks set correctly downhill turn outs are easy and natural for me.

I think the D&R is the key. It is a big part of what made the Polaris sleds so much more playful. Now with better power and more track than my previous Poo sleds this '17 MC goes more places with just slightly more effort. It is a pretty solid package IMO.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
I am in the same situation. What did you order for the D&R.
I talked to my dealer and he said one more year of holdover sleds. In 18 the dealer's were allowed to order what they could sell. When in previous years they were forced to take what A/C said. This year he has like 3 or 4 18's left but is still sitting on a bunch of 2017's. Once the hold overs are gone that should help stabilize the used market.

I ordered inner case. Just jumping off the fence now with decision. TKI templates will be ordered from a calgary dealer, heavy 15 wide chain and sprockets, bdx light cover with light oil tank, 8 tooth with aluminum shaft.

Chain will be fine for me, I don’t jump or drop(on purpose anyway) and service case every year anyhow, and constantly check all bearings from skid to drivers best I can.

It’s looking like I may have gotten my Alpha conversion before the cutoff.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Could be shocks, guy has the stock Cat coil overs with custom valving on the front, rear skid is a QSL same as the 2018, front skid I don’t know. I do think the forward stance helps, but I have spent a lot of time playing with my pressures to get the feel I have now. I know my 2014 with the 2016 front end and skid and Elka’s is easier to ride than it was stock, but it still isn’t the same as the 2018. I think every years tweaks just helps that little bit more.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Actually, save the primary clutch and engine and it IS the exact same sled. The same suspension bolted to the same chassis since 2016... The only difference is the D&R, and you said that had been done.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Actually, save the primary clutch and engine and it IS the exact same sled. The same suspension bolted to the same chassis since 2016... The only difference is the D&R, and you said that had been done.
2017 rails changed,
2018 (maybe the 2017 mountain cat?) Rear shock and rod are 1" longer.
2018 the track is different. Not sure if its just the clips and outer nubs or if the compound is also different....

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
2017 rails changed,
2018 (maybe the 2017 mountain cat?) Rear shock and rod are 1" longer.
2018 the track is different. Not sure if its just the clips and outer nubs or if the compound is also different....

rails changed in 2016, along with front skid shock and front arm.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
rails changed in 2016, along with front skid shock and front arm.
2016 and 2018 rails......
41112e3df2e67838cffe057c0d840705.jpg
3da3c1e5f6977bbe1d00db5167ad3f77.jpg

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007

there were quite a few tweaks from 16 to the 17MC, which is basically a 18 chassis as your pointing out.
seat, rails, case, boards, footwells (1"forward), cut/tucked pan, bars/grips i believe. also not sure when they thinned the rear portion of the tunnel, but all in all the sled was advertised at like 8 pounds lighter than a 16. not sure if it panned out that way, but was enough for this guy to spend the extra 3k over the holdovers on the floor. that and the 4 year warranty, and spiffy new motofist fart suit!
collectors edition! :face-icon-small-coo

whitemeat

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2010
All season and old and slow. Can you guys text me. I live in red deer and always have questions that I'm sure you guys could answer. 4035889290. Thanx Kevin

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
I think the 18 front ski shocks are 1/2 inch shorter than 16-17 evols...that combined with longer rear skid shock and rod may allow lowered front end with drop and roll for even better track angle ....
Rails my also be flatter ...

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Does anybody know what lengths the rear skid shocks are going to be for the Alpha skid? My dealer doesn’t even know yet, no part listings..........ugh

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Does anybody know what lengths the rear skid shocks are going to be for the Alpha skid? My dealer doesn’t even know yet, no part listings..........ugh
Alpha shock specs are the same as the mountain cat other than the front shock has the external air chamber in a different location to clear the rail.

Premium Features