• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting a GoPro camera on your M

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
The best perspective I've found for hillclimbing is on the front of the hood down low. Gives a decent view on the steepness. It doesn't work so great when you are in the deep pow though.

You can also use the suction mount on the side of your hood if you trust it enough to stay on. Another reasonable view is with the chest mount. I also like to wear the chest mount backwards from time to time while climbing. It's a cool view too. Here's a vid climbing while wearing it backwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GlAA4Sf6A

You can see my front mount on the hood in this pic.

Last edited:
S
The best perspective I've found for hillclimbing is on the front of the hood down low. Gives a decent view on the steepness. It doesn't work so great when you are in the deep pow though.

You can also use the suction mount on the side of your hood if you trust it enough to stay on. Another reasonable view is with the chest mount. I also like to wear the chest mount backwards from time to time while climbing. It's a cool view too. Here's a vid climbing while wearing it backwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-GlAA4Sf6A

You can see my front mount on the hood in this pic.

Nice vids! I thought about using the suction on the tunnel pointing backwards but thought of it an hour ago lol

With the mount on the hood, do you get camera shake from vibrations?

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Couple different angles in this vid

http://vimeo.com/20308752

All done with the suction mount. I think when it's mounted on the hood facing forward it makes everything pretty flat. I think helmet or chest mount would work better for forward facing perspective.

I've found the opposite. I can't get any perspective of the steepness of a hill unless it's mounted on the hood. The chest and especially the helmet cam seem very flat to me.

What cam are you running?

D
Sep 19, 2008
Sandy, UT
It wasn't mine but I'm pretty sure its the go pro hero hd and I was shooting in 720p. All I kmow is that some of those hills are pretty steep in the beginning of my video but it looks like I'm meadow mashing.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
you can mount them on the rear bumper facing front or rear, the handle bar/mountain strap area. heard some trail riding guys mounting them on the ski loop. might work for them, not for us. LOL! but, it is a unique location. ski

S

sledrat403

Nov 28, 2007
Couple different angles in this vid

http://vimeo.com/20308752

All done with the suction mount. I think when it's mounted on the hood facing forward it makes everything pretty flat. I think helmet or chest mount would work better for forward facing perspective.

Dude that is a great video - but I really dig the tunes!! What's the name of the soundtrack? (take a ride on my bumper)

Go Pro Mounting

Best angle for hill climbing is on the hood with the suction cup mount. Next best place for riders veiw is on the chin gaurd of your motocross hemet. Whip up a cardboard prototype and take it to a local sheet metal shop. Something like 18-16 gauge aluminum works well. Don't use fancy diamond plate or the Go Pro flat mount won't stick to the whole surface. Plus the camera is easy to see the shutter button, and it's out of your way of sight.

IMG_1390.jpg IMG_1387.jpg

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Best angle for hill climbing is on the hood with the suction cup mount. Next best place for riders veiw is on the chin gaurd of your motocross hemet. Whip up a cardboard prototype and take it to a local sheet metal shop. Something like 18-16 gauge aluminum works well. Don't use fancy diamond plate or the Go Pro flat mount won't stick to the whole surface. Plus the camera is easy to see the shutter button, and it's out of your way of sight.

That's a pretty cool mounting position. I breath too heavy though. Lol. That's probably all you'd hear is my damn breath.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Go Pro Mount

I have one I made out of a plastic hand clamp, a tripod mount and a bolt for about 5 bucks. Mounts to the front bumper, rear bumper, and any place I can clamps it too. I also made a leash out of a trade show badge lanyard.

GoPro Mount.jpg

Last edited:
S
I have one I made out of a plastic hand clamp, a tripod mount and a bolt for about 5 bucks. Mounts to the front bumper, rear bumper, and any place I can clamps it too. I also made a leash out of a trade show badge lanyard.

I like the helmet chin mount but the hand clamp is an awesome idea. I have a clamp and I know I can get a tripod mount. I may have to rig that up!

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
On a sub zero day the only place we could get the suction cup to stick was on the headlight. We also use a string to tie it on in case it comes lose. Made for an interesting view looking back at the rider.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
It wasn't mine but I'm pretty sure its the go pro hero hd and I was shooting in 720p. All I kmow is that some of those hills are pretty steep in the beginning of my video but it looks like I'm meadow mashing.

which frame rate were you in? 30 or 60? quality looks pretty crisp. i'm borrowing my brother's this weekend and i'd like to know which settings are gonna work best.

i think if a guy really wanted to get a sense of how steep a hill was, you would need some kind of self leveling mount. a pendulum that keeps the cam plumb. but it couldn't swing too much either, or else thats all it would do... swing. and it would have to be mounted up high or else you would just be looking straight into the slope. sounds like a heck of a fab job though. better off to stick to filming boondocking, jumps, and follow/lead angles with the hero, and switch to a traditional cam for the hillclimbs. although, sidehilling does give you a better perspective on the slope...

Last edited:
S
Turned out to be an interesting thread.

I had my GoPro out this past weekend in hilly areas of all white with clear sunny skies. My videos had bad washout and overexposure. It wasn't until I found myself in a slightly wooded area in the late afternoon where my videos turned out ok. And to get a good perspective for hill climbs is very challenging.

Premium Features