• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Cat...Helping a buddy...Trying to ride tomarrow

S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
Hey guys,

My buddy has an 05 M7, EFI... He burnt up his throttle cable last ride and we replaced it today. Anyways, The sled will start and idle rough for about 5 seconds and then die. We tried this about 10 times all with the same result. We messed with the throttle positioning thing on the thumb throttle and set it to what we were told was the right clearence (.25 or less inches of play). So we have our hands in the air and were hoping that someone here can give us some advice.... Is there some sensor somewhere that you need to reset, it sounds like the motor just electricly shuts off, not like its spuddering or anything, just dies like you hit the kill switch. Thanks for the help guys.

John

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Sounds like too much play in the throttle cable. The old school rule of thumb I've used is there should be about a credit card width of play between the control block and the throttle flipper before the cable starts to move.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Make sure the free play on the cable is correct, should be pretty strait forward for this. Also, make sure the flipper pivot point slides that 3/16th of an inch or so for the throttle safety. Sounds kinda like this might be your problem, or a good place to start anyway. If all seems to be functioning well, pull that aluminum cover off the front of the steering hoop support right infront of the fuel tank exposing the plugs for the kill,hand/thumb warmers, and throttle safety switches. Disconnect the one for the safety switch (might take some experimenting, i cant recall the wire colors now) and try firing the sled. The first time i did it i had the kill switch unhooked by accident. Also, be sure to check the throttle for sticking before starting, as this is what the safety switch is there for, to not allow the sled to take off if the cable freezes.
Also make sure the injector wires didnt get knocked off, or anything goofy like that when the cable was replaced.
Brian

S

Sheepdog

Nov 27, 2007
Big Sky Country
We never did get it up and running...But thanks guys for the help. I will post again this week some time and try to get it up and going.

John

M
Oct 1, 2001
Belgrade, MT
John, make sure the throttle block isn't pinching any wires or anything where it's parted. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. I tried all kinds of stuff, and when I finally got it to work was after I loosened up those two screws wiggled it, tightened it back up and it fired right up

Premium Features