• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First real adventure in the backcountry with my wife

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've been posting here for some time, trying to get a sense of how to equip my wife for a backcountry ride and we finally got a chance to get away and test out everyone's theories.

A little background.... my wife has been a trail rider most of her life and hasn't been on a sled in a few years. She was concerned she would hate a long sled, so we picked up a 146 Freeride for her. My wife is small and not an aggressive rider at all. I read as many posts here and on FB groups as I could about how to make things easier for a new/female rider and tried to keep my head about me when things went sideways.

Once she focuses on looking past her ski tips, I think she'll have more fun. She had a number of dismounts and hilarious stucks that we both laughed our heads off about. A couple that required "excavations" as opposed to "digs". :face-icon-small-hap

We decided to spend a week in BC exploring areas neither of us had ever been. Somewhere along the line, a tree magnet found it's way into her sled though..... as you can see, I did a bit of shoveling.

DSC01821.JPG

DSC01819.JPG

DSC01827.JPG

DSC01836.JPG

DSC01839.JPG

DSC01841.JPG

DSC01845.JPG

DSC01874.JPG

DSC01883.JPG

DSC01885.JPG

DSC01843.JPG

Unfortunately she came down with a bad cold on day 3 and just didn't have the energy to keep riding. The snow was the best I've seen in the 11 years I've been riding.

DSC01891.JPG

Here are a few of the tips that helped me stay married after this adventure.

1. Be patient!
2. Don't razz her like you would a buddy, keep your comments to yourself.
3. Have a GOOD shovel! My BCA Dozer got a workout!
4. Make absolutely sure you have a Snowbunje if it's just the two of you!
5. You do as much of the getting un-stuck work as you can to keep her from getting exhausted. If she's tired, she will NOT enjoy herself.
6. Offer short but detailed, meaningful instruction from time to time. No lectures!

Overall, we had a great time and she's already talking about our next trip.
eyebrows.gif

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Great work! My wife is 125lbs and stated backcountry riding at 47 yrs old. Patience is key, make it fun and slowly introduce techniques for her to practice. My wife is now having a blast and riding well.
Also, a mountain riding clinic or two with other ladies can be fun and
greatly improves their skills.
A photo of my wife "on edge"

IMG_2614.jpg

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Last ride the 52 year old wife shreds 4' of pow. She rode her own lines
and hardly got stuck all day. Very happy to see her having so much fun, it was worth the wait!

IMG_4594.jpg

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Haha....

I've been posting here for some time, trying to get a sense of how to equip my wife for a backcountry ride and we finally got a chance to get away and test out everyone's theories.

A little background.... my wife has been a trail rider most of her life and hasn't been on a sled in a few years. She was concerned she would hate a long sled, so we picked up a 146 Freeride for her. My wife is small and not an aggressive rider at all. I read as many posts here and on FB groups as I could about how to make things easier for a new/female rider and tried to keep my head about me when things went sideways.

Once she focuses on looking past her ski tips, I think she'll have more fun. She had a number of dismounts and hilarious stucks that we both laughed our heads off about. A couple that required "excavations" as opposed to "digs". :face-icon-small-hap

We decided to spend a week in BC exploring areas neither of us had ever been. Somewhere along the line, a tree magnet found it's way into her sled though..... as you can see, I did a bit of shoveling.

DSC01821.JPG

DSC01819.JPG

DSC01827.JPG

DSC01836.JPG

DSC01839.JPG

DSC01841.JPG

DSC01845.JPG

DSC01874.JPG

DSC01883.JPG

DSC01885.JPG

DSC01843.JPG

Unfortunately she came down with a bad cold on day 3 and just didn't have the energy to keep riding. The snow was the best I've seen in the 11 years I've been riding.

DSC01891.JPG

Here are a few of the tips that helped me stay married after this adventure.

1. Be patient!
2. Don't razz her like you would a buddy, keep your comments to yourself.
3. Have a GOOD shovel! My BCA Dozer got a workout!
4. Make absolutely sure you have a Snowbunje if it's just the two of you!
5. You do as much of the getting un-stuck work as you can to keep her from getting exhausted. If she's tired, she will NOT enjoy herself.
6. Offer short but detailed, meaningful instruction from time to time. No lectures!

Overall, we had a great time and she's already talking about our next trip.
eyebrows.gif

Number 2 is great, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
After our many adventures I've realized that I can now start to "razz" her a little, and I've actually noticed she takes on a different attitude after said "razzing"... So, this is what I think is happening in her head....
My words, but I'm pretty sure her thoughts....

Ok

I know he knows I'm doing my best..
But I'll show that fu@#in dick!
I don't care if I fold up this pretty sled, fu@# it!
More throttle he says...
I'll pin this bit@#. I'll fu@#in ping pong this s#it off every damn tree he tells me to look past..... Fu@#in dick, I'll show him!

Then she burns up the hill like it's nothing.......

So, now I use said razzing as "motivational subliminal messaging"

And, it works.........

After this intense situation that could totally backfire on me at any time, I redeem myself by giving her some well deserved praise...
And PRAY that that works as well:face-icon-small-win

All in all we always have fun....... and we're even still married:face-icon-small-sho

Rich_mountain

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2016
Washington, West side
That is really awesome... We have had a great snow season down here in Washington. My wife and I are new to the sport and I think she enjoys it even more then I do. we ride older sleds but they are good machines. I do a lot to keep her our of the snow drifts, as we ride mostly trail stuff right now until we get more experience. BUT that doesn't stop her from getting off the trail and getting in to some fresh pow and getting stuck and leaving it to me to get her un-stuck. lol

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
Great job MR! :face-icon-small-hap Sounds like you did all the right things!

BTW I am extremely jealous of the conditions in those pictures!!! :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Great job MR! :face-icon-small-hap Sounds like you did all the right things!

BTW I am extremely jealous of the conditions in those pictures!!! :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Those pictures were just the beginning... check out the few days she was too sick to get out on the hill with me.....

DSC01886.JPG

DSC01860.JPG

I promise, there's a sled under that GPS!

DSC01890.JPG

DSC01891.JPG

DSC01898.JPG

It was seriously off the charts. :face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features