• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Tatermobile.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
You probably know, but the engine transmission is an integral unit that the drive shaft slips in to. This is basically a scooter assembly. I contemplated the idea of finding a larger scooter, 125-200cc with the drive to install in one so it would pull the 121 x 12 x 1.25 track better. I think it would give it a WOW factor having a bit more power to rip around on.

A friend did a similar conversion and runs a 121. Really cool but he’s got more into it that I would want to spend. Especially considering my kids have a 120 and a 440 fan as it is. The Scoot would only serve for a year or so in between transitions. This is my dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'd look for an old Tundra/Bravo/Enticer/Indy Lite all in the 300-340cc class then.

When I long tracked a Scoot parts were rather hard to find and not all that inexpensive. It appears you will be needing quite a few parts as well. Don't throw it away as you might find donor parts somewhere along the way.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I’ll sell it before I throw it away. Someone wants to do this project.

My kids are good going from the 120 mod to the 440. My daughters first day on the 440 and she killed it. My 5yo old already wants to drive it myself too. Just doesn’t have the shoulders to turn it yet. Let’s just hope the youngest can make the jump as well.

Unless I do come across a Indy 340 in the meantime.

One thing this thread has shown me is that it’s basically a Indy Lite or nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Thanks!

That's relatively close to the measurements I received from another forum member(Chad Krump) - see below. Chad said he's had good success putting the newer Edge skids in some of the older iron.

I just have to get around to trying it.

Did you keep any measurements from your radius rod shortening mod? I think in order for the rear skid upgrade to work out the best, the front end is going to have to be picked up a proportional amount to the rear.

I don't have any measurements, I winged it. I think I cut 1" off each one, maybe 1.5". But then it was too much, I had to thread the rods out a ways because the shock was hitting the bulkhead. I set it so that the shocks had a tic of clearance. Had to cut the bulkhead for the steering rods, I remounted the boots lower and used RTV to fill in the gaps on top. I can measure a rod to see where I ended up.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks again for the info.!

Also wondering if you happened to measure / record how much it raised the front end?

I don't have any measurements, I winged it. I think I cut 1" off each one, maybe 1.5". But then it was too much, I had to thread the rods out a ways because the shock was hitting the bulkhead. I set it so that the shocks had a tic of clearance. Had to cut the bulkhead for the steering rods, I remounted the boots lower and used RTV to fill in the gaps on top. I can measure a rod to see where I ended up.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
No clue, but the front is way higher than the rear. I think I am going to install rear drop brackets if I can find some in the yard.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
SO the sled made some bad sounds when running, but it didn't seem to drag or anything. Turns out a 1.4 track will clear the tunnel at the rear idlers, but a 1.75 very slightly rubs. :(
The *** of this sled was way low compared to the front. SO I went out in the yard, pulled the 98 XC600 that donated the RMK tunnel extension out of the snow, and pulled the rear suspension brackets. A couple of the holes lined up, most were close. The rear is now dropped down to match the front, I adjusted the front limiter to 1.5 holes out from where it was. (I drilled the 1.5 hole.) The sleds looks like a real sled now, I am very happy with it. I considered the Trail skid install as I already had the rear brackets off, but didn't have any around that would drop the rear of the skid far enough, and to be honest, the Lite skid works great for Tater, I watched it work when he was riding it. Wish the rail extensions were the style that took hyfax,but to be real honest, he will have outgrown this by the end of this season.
I used pop rivets because I didn't have any solid 1/4" left, will replace them after I am sure that the geometry works right.

001.jpg 004.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
It's sitting good now from the looks of it.

When I did mine I wanted the rail extensions that held the hyfax as well but they weren't available for those rails. Regardless, given the pilot's weight I don't see it being a problem. LOL

Your boy should have a blast now!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Did you angle cut the back of the hyfax? If they are left straight they don't allow the sled to be pulled backwards very well.

Otherwise, great job.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It's sitting good now from the looks of it.

When I did mine I wanted the rail extensions that held the hyfax as well but they weren't available for those rails. Regardless, given the pilot's weight I don't see it being a problem. LOL

Your boy should have a blast now!

It looks real good, I like it.

The extensions that worked were standard extensions for big sleds, I would bet that Tracks has some good ones that fit, they just don't know it.

He loves it.

We rode out on the lake on Xmas from the house, he spend the whole time ripping around WFO. Kid is gonna kill himself. Sled works well though.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I suppose he learned this from his mom? :face-icon-small-ton

Yah, she is a crazy woman. ;)
So I had to steal the rear upper idlers for a customer, when I was putting it back together I noticed that the rear torque rods were both bent. I messed with it, cycled it, and realized that when I installed the rear brackets, I put them too far back on the tunnel. It allowed the shock link to overextend and fold over onto the top, bending the rods. Instead of relocating the rear bracket, I redrilled the front arm holes and accomplished the same thing. Long ride Sunday, all good!
It is crap that there are not better options for kids. I watched Tater work his butt off to get this sled up on one ski last weekend with no success, he could rail a 120. His sister is 8, only slightly taller, and she rode an Edge 550 Trail, she was able to work the controls just fine. My thought now is that if they can reach the footwells and safely operate the throttle and brake, give them a bigger sled and let them learn on it. They grow so fast and we spend so much money on upgrading the sleds every year....

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Tatermobile is for sale. I screwed up and let him ride my 850 175 tonight, he doesn't want to ride the 340 any more.
We took the 340 on a few mountain rides, and he has 3-4 hours in the last two weeks ripping around my shop. 150 miles this year. It works well, surprisingly well in the deep. Only thing I don't like is the fanner bog when revving up on the bottom. Tater didn't care. I am going to just get him a 600 Summit and mod it for his small size, let him grow into it, he can keep it for a few years. He grows out of stuff so fast, in one year he had a new TTR50, new SSR110, then a new Husky TC50 that he has outgrown. Not so much size, but talent. Not to brag, but he has way more skills than I ever had. It is hard to keep a rig under him that he doesn't get bored with.
I am thinking $2500 for a turnkey e-start 2000 Indy 340 Deluxe with all the mods and 136 track. I have a spare engine, complete with electronics that will go with it. Minus top end, the jugs are here but are damaged. I would give it to my daughter but she has a clean 2000 Z370 that we just picket up, and she cares more about hair than riding. ;)

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Well, it was fun while it lasted. LOL

Hope he transitions well to the 600. It goes without saying that it's a massive step up in performance. https://youtu.be/nhLyPH_KirE LOL

You shouldn't have any trouble getting rid of the 340 as the OEMs still aren't offering a youth / entry level deep powder machine........

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Need Videos!!!!!

Say what????? This whole 3 page thread and we never get to see any videos of him tearing up the powder on the darn machine? Come on man!!! Give the people (me) what they (I) want!! :):):):):face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
What does it take other than the obvious to stick a 550 in these rigs? I have a 2002 Trail 550 that I could use. This chassis works well for him, but the slow rev-up on the 340 is horrible. Not sure if there is something wrong with it or if they are just that way. It rips on top.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Say what????? This whole 3 page thread and we never get to see any videos of him tearing up the powder on the darn machine? Come on man!!! Give the people (me) what they (I) want!! :):):):):face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Lol. My camera sucks. Tater on 340 and on 850.

009.jpg 008.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Our '96 was the same.

The ignition timing was retarded from factory specs and the pilot circuit was so rich the machine hardly needed any choke to start & no choke at all to stay running when it was cold.

After advancing the timing & dropping a size on the pilot jets bottom end performance improved significantly. Squish was a gaping .125" + so we had the head shaved .025". Could've likley removed. 050" & still been safe.

Clutching needed work as engagement was too low. We also geared down with the 7 tooth drivers during the track swap.

Improvements can definitely be made but in the end it is a 340 cc piston port engine.......

This chassis works well for him, but the slow rev-up on the 340 is horrible. Not sure if there is something wrong with it or if they are just that way. It rips on top.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
For sale. He rode my 850 Doo a couple of times, won't ride his any more. $2500 firm, extra engine with clutch and a bad top end for $500 more. Needs to go to a good home, he will get a 600 and grow into it.

Premium Features