• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Baofeng and BCA Radio's

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I am new to the whole two way radio,s
I have purchased two BCA Radio's and Two Baofeng uv-5r radio's.

BCA's are pretty easy, what I would like to do is Program the uv-5r's, to the same as the a-f on the BCA's

I have the channel's from the BCA's and have been playing with the chirp software, pretty straight forward, until I try and figure out the privacy codes on the BCA's.

A Channel 1 privacy code off
B Channel 5 privacy code 10
C Channel 4 privacy code 20
D Channel 8 privacy code 10
E Channel 9 privacy code 11
F Channel 20 privacy code off

I read blastco2's post, read the wikipedia article.

My question is has anyone gotten the privacy codes to work?

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
Link should take you to page that shows what numbers match the frs privacy codes.

I dont have chirp here at home but after the frequency column you set it to "tone" and just put in the matching number for the privacy code.

Ex: privacy code 10 = 94.8

No privacy = 67.0

http://henryranch.net/radio-communication/frs-radio-privacy-tone-list/

My set up on the 16 channel Baofengs is 1 - 11 normal FRS with no privacy (channel 1 matches BCA "A") and 12 - 16 set up to match BCA B - F.

Last edited:
A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
I'm not much of a radio tech but I programmed mine as I posted and it works great with BCA on its default channels.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Are we 100% sure that BCA CTCSS (privacy) codes are the same ones that Motorola uses?

To be 100% sure, a simple frequncy counter with CTCSS decoder is needed http://www.ebay.com/itm/191862691842?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Personally, I think it is safer not to use CTCSS and just use a frequency/channel that is not as crowded.

After reading about ctcss, I am of the same opinion, my only issue is, most people that have radio's that we are riding with are using the BCA, and do not have any inclination to learn more than how to turn them on, and press the button.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
First of all, regardless whether a CTCSS tone is used or not....if someone is transmitting on the frequency then no one else can use it at the same time.

A person who uses a CTCSS tone on same frequency as another person who doesn't use a CTCSS tone won't know (hear) when the person without a tone is transmitting on that frequency. This can cause very spotty communications among tone users on the same frequency.

If a person using a CTCSS tone gets hurt and is in range of another rider or rescuer who doesn't use a tone, the no tone person can hear the injured person's communications but the injured person won't be able to hear the person transmitting without a tone.

I think it is just best to ride with radios that can receive from everyone. If there is a lot of chatter on a frequency then switch to another frequency and that often solves the need for having a tone.

There is a false sense that tones give you privacy and it doesn't help that certain FRS radio manufacturers have "privacy channels" which are nothing but different CTCSS tones on the same frequency. Anyone without a tone and in range can hear all tone and non-tone communications on the same frequency but not the other way around.

I'm not the best written communicator and I hope my explanation makes sense.

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I use a tone so that, I dont have to listen to the frs toy noises, operators yelling at their mic cause that will make it talk further, ect. On the rare occasions that we have gone without a tone, it drove me near crazy.

Ran into some riders that are radio neophytes. Had themselves some brandy spanking new boafengs w/speaker mics. Using just whatever freq was programmed in when the radio arrived. I asked and was told 453.???.... I tried to splane to them that was not a good choice..... they werent having any of it.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
I have linked BCA and Midland which both use CTCSS although the freq.'s have to be matched because they aren't the same across brands. I much prefer the tones as we only have 5 radios and don't suffer from clashing normally.

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
One thing that I have wondered is: Why do we keep buying the BCA link radios that have a max output of 1watt. when the Baeofeng and Motorola go up to 5watts of power and cost a lot less.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
One thing that I have wondered is: Why do we keep buying the BCA link radios that have a max output of 1watt. when the Baeofeng and Motorola go up to 5watts of power and cost a lot less.

I believe because that is what is "legal". Don't you need special license to run the higher watt stuff technically?

Now with that said I have never seen the radio police and I run the Bauofeng. :face-icon-small-win

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
So, those must be what A-F are set at from the factory but you can use all the FRS and GMRS frequencies and reprogram A to be something other than what's on your chart.

yes those are the frequencies that are programmed from factory. That is all I know about the BC Links. I don't use them. I use Baofeng and program the bc link channels into mine.

S

swovay696

Mar 1, 2008
mn
I've just started learning radios today. May be a dumb question. Do these baofeng radios interfere with beacons in any way? If I ordered a set of four, turned them on to a preferred channel, and threw it in my avy bag with a mic running out, and clipped to my shoulder strap, I would be safe??? When I fall off my sled in a foot of pow and the mic gets a little wet, will it still perform? Thanks

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I've just started learning radios today. May be a dumb question. Do these baofeng radios interfere with beacons in any way? If I ordered a set of four, turned them on to a preferred channel, and threw it in my avy bag with a mic running out, and clipped to my shoulder strap, I would be safe??? When I fall off my sled in a foot of pow and the mic gets a little wet, will it still perform? Thanks

I believe these come programmed with HAM channels, so you will have to program the FRS and GMRS channels into the radios if you want to talk to others on those channels. DONT use the HAM channels unless you have a license!!!

The stock antenna leaves alot to be desired. Upgrade to the GENUINE Nagoya NA-701 (8") or NA-771 (15")

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBZLOHC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1NJEN6IC90ITB&colid=3IESDM3G11RFS&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-NA...8&qid=1517763371&sr=1-1&keywords=nagoya+na771

As for the mic, if you order a GOOD one, there should be no problem if it gets wet. I have had plenty of pow on mine and no issue at all. There are TONS of cheap knock offs out there, so make sure you get the right mic. Link below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z4X3MM6/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1Y52OODOYVA3D&colid=3IESDM3G11RFS&psc=0

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have that mic. It works, but isn't immune from getting packed with powder, rendering the mic useless. I put some intake prefilter (think Frogskinz) over the speaker & mic, seems better.

Attached is the list of frequencies for the BCA radios, with CTCSS included. I didn't find this info initially and it lead to some confusion (CTCSS anyway). You can program a few of the channels into your radio, but I recommend saving this file to your phone or printing it and keeping it with the radio. This way, when you show up on the hill and the crew decides they're using some obscure frequency combo (except they don't know the frequency, only the arbitrary "6-33" or whatever) you can dial your radio in to match.

Attachments

• BCLink_NAmerica_FrequencyCharts.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 373
Premium Features