• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

141 track on a 136 Crossfire

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
Alright, I know it may seem that this has been beaten to death, but honestly I have spent the last day and a half reading through threads on multiple sites and haven't found all of the answers to my questions.

Scenerio:

Good buddy of mine had a 06 M7 141. He decided to put a powerclaw under it and pulled out his challenger. He ended up selling the M and went sledless for a while, realized what he had done wrong and picked up a sweet 06 Crossfire 7 136. The xfire had been extended to a 144 1.75 cross country. not a bad setup, but it isn't as great in the powder as the challenger in our opinion and he would like to swap.

So I know it may be easier to just throw a 144 2" challenger under it and be done, but the track tends to be the most expensive piece of the puzzle. Not to mention, we already have a 141 sitting here collecting dust. Not looking for extra track on the ground here or anything, just a taller lug and a softer track to handle deep powder better. The amount we will lose to the ground is trivial in my opinion.

Here is what I know:

We need a 3" pitch driver
We may experience issues with the anti-ratchet driver coming in contact with the rail tips.
We will need to jump up to a larger rear bogey wheel, offset axle turned around to take up some more slack, and more than likely a larger upper idler wheel.
We will need an anti-stab kit.

Questions I have:

Will purchasing shorter rail caps for a 141 M (2604-724) assist in the rails not hitting the drivers? If so, how much would we need to trim the rail back?
Will an 8 tooth anti-ratchet 3" pitch drive shaft work or should I try to find a 7 tooth?
How much will the 8 tooth reduce the top speed? (not that big of a deal)
Will I need to move the skid rearward at all? If so, is it as easy as drilling out the second hole on the inside up front? Not sure what is available for the rear bracket.
If I need to move the rear skid, are we at risk of messing up the geometry of the suspension and it not traveling as it should?

We have access to a 8 tooth drive shaft, hoping we can use that. Looking at the Freedom axle kit for the rear. Already have a set of 8" bogey wheels for it.

Any advice from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated. I have to think that since the crossfires went to 141, there has been a few people out there taking advantage of others selling there cobra tracks for power claws and then putting those cobras in older 136 sleds.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I only time I've seen this done it envolved swapping drivers, track, and a 141 skid along with M-series rear drop brackets. If I were you I'd keep and eye out for a 144 x 2"...

Premium Features