• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carfax for snowmobiles?

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Is there a carfax for sleds or a way to find the history of a sled? Have a buddy that’s interested in a sled that has extremely low miles for the age it’s in. He talked to the seller on the phone and said seller seemed awful shady. I was with him and he called the seller back and was sent to VM and the greeting of seller sounded like a cocky douche. Deal sounds to good to be true, I have the ViN of the sled and didn’t know if a guy could run a history report on the sled.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
google the vin number. Its not a sure thing, but if it was ever listed for sale by a dealer in the past there is a good chance it will come up. If it was ever totaled, they often go to an auction site and you might find info that way.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Good ideas in prior post.
On a broader basis, with all of us doing so much of our own work, on sleds leave no tracks to follow. Cars are less likely to escape Carfax records, but it happens.n I bought a vehicle with a clean Carfax from the owner of an aircraft mntc company that also painted planes. A year later, I had the front bumper cover off to install tow hooks and found the bumper had a Denver dealer label on it. No wonder it was such a shiny vehicle. Later, turned up an ac leak most likely related to a front end crash.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Used sleds aren't exactly hard to find, particularly in the off season....if the dude seems shady or unpleasant, I would just move along.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
Carfax is only good if the repairs are reported, and Carfax has updated. people pay cash for repairs all the time (not reported to Carfax). body shops are not required to inform Carfax of repairs. some insurance companies do not report Carfax repairs. take the report with a grain of salt. look the auto/sled bike over personally, with a fine tooth comb, trust no one! one thing that has come up since Carfax is, getting the auto repaired, and IMMEDIATELY selling the auto before the Carfax is updated. shows clean, could have 10,000 in repairs. buyer beware. Ski

Premium Features