• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old school, big power

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Putting together an "Old School" big hp big tq mod triple, no turbo twin here! Plenty of updates to come heres a bit of whats gonna be happening

1500 cat triple (technically 1462cc) two cat 900 twins made into a 3 cyl version (cut and welded cases) bored cyls and running M1000 pistons

Cut and welded cases, two twin cranks built into a 3 cyl version, BB cyls, triple rack carbs, jaws pipes, should be pushing the 300 sea level hp mark with mostly factory parts/factory reliability such as the polaris watercraft motors just with bigger internals, more cc's no high dollar exotic/expensive parts and way more HP/TQ. Holz rear 151 rear skid, ZR 43" wide front end for suspension

motor is going into an 03 151 with a few minor upgrades, basically im wanting this build to be the factory style mod sled cat should have built... more to come!!!

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Matty,
I meant to show you this earlier. The mag side rear motor mount that we made for our second one you can see in the picture below. You might think of doing something similar. Then it uses the stock mount on the case. The way I described to you on the phone, you have to monkey with the heat exchanger outlets. This way you don't.

2013-01-26_16-33-16_45_zps418905b9.jpg

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
day job is getting in the way of this right now! Getting the carb shafts built, pipes are on the way! Still just gathering parts up!! Should have some new updates in the next few days.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
thundercat ignition, also using ZRT choke cables, thundercat and king cat parts for the water rail/thermostat housing.

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
the fuel pump im gonna be running is the mikuni DF62-702, dual 5/16 outlet 3/8 inlet and flows 65 LPH. I have had great luck with this pump on all my other big triples moves plenty of fuel to keep em happy. Also to the turbo guys you can run this pump in a water to air setup (no electrical draw) for the coolant! The triple rack carbs will have 2 inlets between the carbs so its a perfect pump for what I need.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the pump is perfect!
also the motor look good, love the dual water pumps.
put up some pictures of the pipes when your done.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
had a little bit of time yesterday tinkering with the rear mag motor mount. I was going to do the outboard style like scott did but silencer, recoil room, and recoil rope routing made me go this route. its not done obviously but kind of a rough idea. The best thing is how the stock twin coolant line routes up through from the t-stat housing. the angle of the pix dont show but theres at least a 1/4" of clearance around the mount and bulkhead, it fits perfect! just need to extend the top flat section of the hose for the added length of the motor.

The mount will get welded up along with some triangle gussets on the sides. The rubber factory mount will get bolted to the bulkhead, still some trimming but this is what I figured since the older cat triples had a "pedestal style mount" somewhat of the same idea.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mYc9hQMzEC5BOcYZkOXnVIw.jpg

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Carb shaft should show up today to build the triple rack, and pipes should be here early next week!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
how bout a picture of the crank?
are you going to have the catman send you a recoil adapter for the m8 style?

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Ill get a pic of the crank and post it up...

Also Im concerned about room over in the side of the right belly pan for pipe/silencer clearance. Im running the M series adapter on my 900 vanambug sled and it does take up more room than the older cat style recoil. Im used to pulling over the bigger triples so ill deal with a slightly harder pull on the rope vs having the extra room... or at least until I see how the pipes and silencers fit.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
triple rack carb throttle shaft, thanks Jim Hidy (polarisrocks) he is the man for getting the parts to build any triple rack carb setup!

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
got the carbs pretty much assembled, just some small things to get em 100% done...

Still lots of mock up and fitting... Parts going in and out. The crank is sitting in the cases temporarily for shaft/clutch alignment while finishing the motor mounts, still have quite a bit of work to do until final assembly but its getting that much closer!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
man the steering post and the center carb is going to be tight! on some of the big bore carbs we would take the bottom of the steering post and move it over about 3/4" and re drill it. looking good.

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
man the steering post and the center carb is going to be tight! looking good.

Theres probably 3/4-1" of clearance there its just the angle of the picture plus the two manifolds arent even bolted up there just sitting there...

On my 1200 prox polaris the post goes right where the center and mag carb fuel TEE runs, I have to feed the mag carb by itself coming from the other side!

The cat carbs with individual choke plungers is easy compared to the polaris setup!

heres the prox 1200

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
man the steering post and the center carb is going to be tight! on some of the big bore carbs we would take the bottom of the steering post and move it over about 3/4" and re drill it. looking good.

The PTO and center cylinders are exactly where they are on the stock 900 twin. So the clearance for the post is the same as the stock carbs.

What are you planning to do for the airbox?

G
Apr 23, 2008
As a fellow cat guy from way back,, please take a long hard look at the jackshaft mount / pto side motor mount.
IMO, they are 'frail at best' the fasteners also lack enough shoulder to prevent the threads from sawing on the tunnel when they get loose. ( and they do get loose on all twins ).

a fully shouldered and hardened set of bolts and nuts for that mount goes a long way..

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Thanks Gus! That is a really busy mount, theres a lot going on with it! Now even more so with the extra power! Ill check out the hardware and see what I can come up with on that.

got the mounts pretty much all done today nothing really exciting there other than they all got welded up but I did have a present waiting for me when I got home today...

Jaws claim that they fit under a stock twin belly and hood with "minimal trimming" we'll see!

Premium Features