• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mirage Trailers wants to hear from YOU about 2019 New Features

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My enclosed Featherlite is now 17 years old.... All aluminum frame and floor. The only steel on it is the support beam for the axles, and the axles. Not one spot on the frame or floor is corroded. Its been in in the snow and salt MANY times and is always stored outside. I just make sure to pressure wash off the under side if its been out in the slop.
WOW!
How cool is that?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I know of a few enclosed trailers that were rhino lined on the bottom two feet and also the frame to try to make them last. They still look good but everything behind it is rotted away and the rhino lining is basically just hanging there. Trailer manufacturers powder coat dump and equipment trailers and they dont hold up well around here either. Seems after a few stone chips it starts coming off in "sheets."

A local sandblaster/trailer and frame repainter uses Sherwin Williams macropoxy 646 and has had very good success with it. I have used it on a few on-road and off-road chassis personally and love it.

My $.02 from the land of over applied salt, calcium chloride and cinders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lets take a look....

Macropoxy 646 - 100

MACROPOXY 646-100 FAST CURE EPOXY is a high solids, less than 100 g/L VOC, high build, fast drying, polyamide epoxy designed to protect steel and concrete in industrial exposures. Ideal for maintenance painting and fabrication shop applications. The high solids content ensures adequate protection of sharp edges, corners, and welds. This product can be applied directly to marginally prepared steel surfaces.

• Low VOC,<100 g/L
  • Chemical resistant
  • Low odor
  • Abrasion resistant
Recommended Usage

• Marine applications
  • Fabrication shops
  • Refineries
  • Pulp and paper mills
  • Chemical plants
  • Power plants
  • Tank exteriors
  • Offshore platforms
  • Water treatment plants
  • Mill White and Black are acceptable for immersion use for salt water and fresh water, not acceptable for potable water
  • Suitable for use in USDA inspected facilities

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Lets take a look....

Macropoxy 646 - 100

MACROPOXY 646-100 FAST CURE EPOXY is a high solids, less than 100 g/L VOC, high build, fast drying, polyamide epoxy designed to protect steel and concrete in industrial exposures. Ideal for maintenance painting and fabrication shop applications. The high solids content ensures adequate protection of sharp edges, corners, and welds. This product can be applied directly to marginally prepared steel surfaces.

• Low VOC,<100 g/L
  • Chemical resistant
  • Low odor
  • Abrasion resistant
Recommended Usage

• Marine applications
  • Fabrication shops
  • Refineries
  • Pulp and paper mills
  • Chemical plants
  • Power plants
  • Tank exteriors
  • Offshore platforms
  • Water treatment plants
  • Mill White and Black are acceptable for immersion use for salt water and fresh water, not acceptable for potable water
  • Suitable for use in USDA inspected facilities
How does it hold up to flexing trailer frames????????
My guess, it is a hard substance and will eventually have small fissures that allow salts and chemicals to enter and .......... back to square one.
Best solution is to rinse well after each and every road trip. Fairly inexpensive too.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The trailer thing is no different than the sleds. We all gripe and gripe and want more and more. Then the price has to go up and then we gripe about the price and don't want to pay it.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
How does it hold up to flexing trailer frames????????
My guess, it is a hard substance and will eventually have small fissures that allow salts and chemicals to enter and .......... back to square one.
Best solution is to rinse well after each and every road trip. Fairly inexpensive too.

For my own curiosity, I asked my neighbor who has a logging co and does residential tree removal as well how his chipper truck bed has held up. He said they didn't sandblast it, only da'd the easy stuff and it is still holding up well. He did say he just recently noticed some rust coming through in corners where it was rusty before he painted it and they didn't get it cleaned very well. It was done in 2012.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Washing after use in slop is key all the chemicals and salt used is hard on everything. Has any trailer manufacturers used spray foam on the bottom just wondering how that would hold up and keep moisture out. Or what about sandwiching some foam board between 1/2 in plywood for insulation.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Has any trailer manufacturers used spray foam on the bottom just wondering how that would hold up and keep moisture out. Or what about sandwiching some foam board between 1/2 in plywood for insulation.
I have seen a trailer or two that had full undercarriage foam sprayed on it, but have NO idea at all how well it held up to use.

Can't imagine it did well over time though.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Closed cell foam with Corrugated Plastic covering it.

Kind of like a RV or Camper has. Closed Cell foam should keep it from becoming saturated with water.

My next Trailer purchase will be plane jane. I do not want any interior, no walls no lights no wires, nothing at all.

I do not like how most are just thrown together. Without much thought or care.

an example would be the type of material used for the walls, some use luan panels, some use aluminum sheeting, both are awful, the luan gets 2 stroke discolored and hard to clean, the aluminum is easy to clean but dents and scratches easy, and now they are using the vhb tape on the interiors so if you mess up a panel you get to deal with that.

I like the hooks that charmac has, the extruded aluminum cabinets that charmac uses

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
I have a 2017 Mirage Xtreme Sport. It's a couple of years old now so maybe things have been changed but here are the issues I have had and what I would like to see changed on the new trailers.

1. As already mentioned. Better under coating, I would be willing to pay a few hundred extra on a $18,000 trailer for better under coating, maybe a second or third coat. There are spots on my trailer that got completely missed and is bare steel. There are rust spots on my driveway where I park the trailer where it has dripped. It's parked right next to my 2016 Look Trailer and the Look doesn't have any rust and it has more miles on it and has been used more in the salt and sloppy roads.

2. Mirage needs to pre drill the bolt holes or at least turn down the torque on the drivers when installing the tie downs. The first time I hauled my RZR I put a strap on the tie down in the floor and the tie down pulled right out of the floor. After checking the rest of my tie down points in the floor I found more than 1/2 of the self tapping bolts were broke off and they were only being held in by the plywood. Mirage should be drilling the holes and putting a washer and nut on the underside and not using self tappers.

3. As already mentioned. Bigger or dual batteries.

4. Bigger/faster fuel pump. I love the on board fuel station but the pump is very slow. I am guessing it's a smaller/slower pump because of the small battery. Increase battery capacity, increase pump size.

5. A 3-way light switch in the back by the ramp door for the interior and rear load lights. My Look trailer has this and it's sure nice to be able to turn the lights on and off from the back.

6. Raise the boot dryer up 6" - 10". It hangs down too low and the handle bars on the snowmobiles always hits it. There is plenty of room to shorten the main pipe and raise it up.

7. The hooks on the ceiling are nice to have but they need to be bent down. They way they come stock they are useless. You can't hang anything on them without it sliding off. If they were bent down you could hang things on them without sliding off.

8. Wider ski guards that cover the entire fender.

9. Add a 12" - 16" piece of Polybead floor and a hing to the ramp door that can be filled down to make it easier to load like a lot of other trailers have.

I really like my Mirage Xtreme Sport trailer. It has been a great trailer. I use it summer and winter. It's really nice to pull. I can go 80 MPH with 4 sleds in it and don't hardly know it's back there. Love the furnace, it heads up the trailer if just a few minutes. It's the perfect length for me. It can easily fit 2 - 4 place RZR turbos.

MirageTrailer.jpg

MirageInside.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a 2017 Mirage Xtreme Sport. It's a couple of years old now so maybe things have been changed but here are the issues I have had and what I would like to see changed on the new trailers.

1. As already mentioned. Better under coating, I would be willing to pay a few hundred extra on a $18,000 trailer for better under coating, maybe a second or third coat.

2. Mirage needs to pre drill the bolt holes or at least turn down the torque on the drivers when installing the tie downs. The first time I hauled my RZR I put a strap on the tie down in the floor and the tie down pulled right out of the floor.

3. As already mentioned. Bigger or dual batteries.

4. Bigger/faster fuel pump.

5. A 3-way light switch in the back by the ramp door for the interior and rear load lights.

6. Raise the boot dryer up 6" - 10".

7. The hooks on the ceiling are nice to have but they need to be bent down.

8. Wider ski guards that cover the entire fender.

9. Add a 12" - 16" piece of Polybead floor and a hing to the ramp door that can be filled down to make it easier to load like a lot of other trailers have.

I really like my Mirage Xtreme Sport trailer. It has been a great trailer.

\MOST EXCELLENT POST.
I can personally attest to each and every issue you mentioned as having been on one or more of my "End of Season Reports" to Mirage.

#1. Undercoating.
Waiting to hear from them on this one...

#2.
I no longer order the trailers with the screwed in tie downs.
I get ONLY the larger flush mounted in floor "Car Tie Downs" instead.
They do NOT come out!!

#3.
I have been ordering Dual Batteries in my trailer, but would like to see them offer a MUCH higher quality after market battery as an option.

#4.
Fueling 5 sleds from the belly tank can be a REAL CHORE.
But so far as I know there is no good solution for this problem.
Technical issues..

#5.
They WILL install pretty much ANY kind of wiring you ask them IF you ask them when you order a custom trailer. But maybe this would be a NICE standard feature forward!

#6.
COMPLETELY AGREE!!
I have hit that dang thing myself as well:face-icon-small-hap

#7.
Have mentioned this one a couple times.
A simply solution is to BEND the opening closed a bit more to secure the hanger from bouncing out of it.

#8.
Agreed

#9.
They do have a solution for this problem now!
They have partnered up with CALIBER and are offering their fold down Edge Gliders

If all goes according to plan, the 2019 SnoWest Sled should come with a Full Caliber layout in the entire trailer as a test bed.
Untitled-2.jpg

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Closed cell foam with Corrugated Plastic covering it.

Kind of like a RV or Camper has. Closed Cell foam should keep it from becoming saturated with water.

My next Trailer purchase will be plane jane. I do not want any interior, no walls no lights no wires, nothing at all.

I do not like how most are just thrown together. Without much thought or care.

an example would be the type of material used for the walls, some use luan panels, some use aluminum sheeting, both are awful, the luan gets 2 stroke discolored and hard to clean, the aluminum is easy to clean but dents and scratches easy, and now they are using the vhb tape on the interiors so if you mess up a panel you get to deal with that.

I like the hooks that charmac has, the extruded aluminum cabinets that charmac uses

I really like white wall interior, it makes the interior lighting much more effective.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
If I was to have a question for the manufacture it would be why are snowmobile trailers so much money? A fairly plain steel snowmobile trailer will approach 15k or more these days, yet a cargo trailer of similar size is less than half. I realize you have fuel doors and flooring and a v nose but all that costs 7k? I really don't know. Maybe it does. My trailer hauls sleds to the mountain. I don't store them in it. I unload every ride and put them in the garage. It's not a man cave so I don't need a heater, a stereo, and a hot tub.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If I was to have a question for the manufacture it would be why are snowmobile trailers so much money? A fairly plain steel snowmobile trailer will approach 15k or more these days, yet a cargo trailer of similar size is less than half. I realize you have fuel doors and flooring and a v nose but all that costs 7k? I really don't know. Maybe it does. My trailer hauls sleds to the mountain. I don't store them in it. I unload every ride and put them in the garage. It's not a man cave so I don't need a heater, a stereo, and a hot tub.

Considering Mirage makes BOTH simple Cargo Trailers AND all manner of Sled trailer, they ought to be able to tell us WHY..

Will try to get an answer for you.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
After reading this thread, I researched Mirage trailers.

They have 22 Google reviews with an average rating of 2.4 stars out of 5 stars.

It's always hard to tell about the veracity of reviews on the internet, but a 2.4 rating caught my eye.

Last, I think it's great they are on this site soliciting ideas for their 2019 stuff.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I really like white wall interior, it makes the interior lighting much more effective.

I agree fully, whatever material you have the lighter the color the better.

I have luan panel's and they were white, now they are very off white. I have a couple area's that are white again but it took some doing.

As for the onboard fuel tank's I have one, and my pump is way faster than my buddies Mirage. We are going to look at why this spring.

I do not know what pump they are using, or the size of the pickup from the tank or the distance from the tank to the pump, it will be one of them causing the slow output.

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK

Check out R&R Trailers. I am fairly happy with mine.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
As for the onboard fuel tank's I have one, and my pump is way faster than my buddies Mirage. We are going to look at why this spring.

I do not know what pump they are using, or the size of the pickup from the tank or the distance from the tank to the pump, it will be one of them causing the slow output.

PLEASE keep us in the loop on this would ya?

I would love to better understand this particular issue.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They have 22 Google reviews with an average rating of 2.4 stars out of 5 stars.

It's always hard to tell about the veracity of reviews on the internet, but a 2.4 rating caught my eye.

Ya, online reviews can be a tough issue.
When a customer has a PROBLEM they want the whole world to know about it, and as we see here on SnoWest, people that have issues with any product all too often scream and yell at the top of their lungs trying to get as much attention as possible. Something about the internet that just kinda FEEDS on negativity, where as the average joe that is happy with what he bought tends to never say squat.

That said.
Several years back Mirage absolutely had some major issues with AXLES that generated a LOT of negative comments and reviews. So far as I know that is now well behind them, BUT, the online after effects will linger on for years and years to come.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
One thing Mirage does well is their website. I will spend lots of time trying to figure out what I want. some of these guys haven't updated their websites in years. They don't list the trailers they sell, and do list models no longer made.

Premium Features