• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It's leaked!

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
Wording from the motor pics...I'm out, can't wait to see what the rest of it brings!

GENESIS 998 TURBO ENGINE

We listened, we designed and then we tested. The new Genesis 998 Turbo engine is a product of our dedication to bringing the most advanced, high performance engines to the snowmobile industry. With more horsepower than any production engine in the history of our performance-obsessed sport, we are confident when we say the Sidewinder has the Power to Satisfy. Combine that with Yamaha’s fanatical dedication to durability and reliability, and we are doubly confident when we tell you that the Sidewinder will deliver Round-Trip Reliability.

Everything about the Sidewinder’s engine is pure Yamaha engineering—from the intake, to the large-finned intercooler to the spec of the high tech IHI ceramic bearing turbo unit to the high tech engine management system to the exhaust. Our master engine engineers engineered this engine from a blank sheet to give you the performance you would expect from a Yamaha turbo sled. The side-mounted turbo unit allows short pressure tubes for razor-sharp response. Our triple throttle bodies are a first in production turbo engines, regardless of industry. Not even the exotic car manufacturers go to this length to deliver crisp, right-now performance!

We have staked our reputation on quality, durability and reliability—more commonly referred to as Yamaha Quality. The 998 Turbo engine package carries a full suite of features to ensure you have a great day on the snow and a fun night when you reach your destination. We use our advanced nine-sensor engine management system to control fuel flow for maximum performance, but it also incorporates a knock sensor to adjust ignition timing and even manifold pressure if the need should arise. We developed the crank and rods to handle the amazingly high torque load of the 998 Turbo. We even redesigned the oil tank for optimal oil flow when the Sidewinder’s nose is elevated.

Yamaha has well over a decade of experience in harnessing the unique power delivery of a high performance four stroke engine. For the hyper performance Sidewinder, we have developed a new YSRC roller secondary system to deliver aggressive upshifting while also backshifting quickly to keep you in the power. In addition, we slightly upsized the new secondary to overshift and let the Sidewinder stretch its legs on a long lake run.

From intake to exhaust, and through the driveline, the new Sidewinder is engineered by Yamaha to deliver the Power to Satisfy, with Roundtrip Reliability!

The Nickel alloy turbine body is extremely strong and precise, able to withstand highly elevated temperatures. Supported by premium, ceramic ball bearings, the Inconel turbine blade assembly is very light and strong. This yields a low moment of inertia for lightening quick response to exhaust gas input.

Special, light weight, hardened carburized steel connecting rod design has the optimum strength required to produce maximum power. This new turbo-specific rod design uses nutted studs to join the close-tolerance, machined-faced big end. The rods are also treated with a special Defric coating for cold start protection, to ensure long life and maximum reliability.

The Yamaha-developed Mitsubishi® ECU uses a series of 9 sensors to gather running condition data and computes using its predetermined memory ‘map’. It then adjusts ignition timing, fuel delivery, manifold air-pressure and turbo boost pressure to produce maximum performance - reliably.

The forged aluminum pistons are formed without melting the original aluminum stock, so they retain the strength of the original solidification structure, which enables the design of a lighter piston. The forging process also allows Yamaha to control material thickness to reduce weight by eliminating unnecessary material while still maintaining high strength. A form optimized scraper ring provides maximum protection against oil consumption and blow-by.

Piston Cooler
The Genesis Turbo engine features a unique piston cooling system. Oil is sprayed directly at the underside of the pistons through special jets to help cool and lubricate them. Cooling the pistons helps ensure maximum reliability from this premium, ultimate performance Yamaha engine.

Triple Throttle Bodies
Yamaha engineers wanted to develop a turbo so smooth and so quick to respond that it doesn’t feel like a conventional turbo. One of the ways they achieved their goal was to develop the intake system using three separate throttle bodies instead of just one— something that is not seen in any other production turbo on the planet. And another first for Yamaha with the Genesis turbo.

Exhaust Manifold
Yamaha engineers designed a unique cast steel 3 into 1 manifold to precisely match the chassis and turbo mounting layout to help create the shortest path possible to the turbine. This compact component is connected to the turbine by a short, vibration-isolating tube. This results in exhaust energy being transferred very efficiently to the turbine for instant response to the slightest throttle input.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Woah. Looks sweet! did they mention if they did anything with the chassis? If they modernize the chassis and start using lightweight components(a-arms, tunnel, and such) they could shift a lot of people over into 4 strokes imo

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--The ProClimb chassis is up to date, already lightweight, very durable, best engine cooling configuration with short and front cooler, can handle many different engine types, and can handle 3 inch+ tracks with ease....best factory suspension out there and best handling in the deep also...ride a '16, or better yet a '17 and you'll see for yourself...

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
You can see body panels are allot narrower & probably boards too,can't see it being any lighter than a viper.
Basically same motor & chassis with some mods.
You know that motor & turbo will be in a yxz next.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Turbo'd toys are not at all what I'm interested in. I'm guessing between $16,000-$18,000 for this new YamaCat. I don't see Cat wowing us with more of the same. Ski-doo definitely has the best line up for '17.

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
GENESIS 998 TURBO ENGINE

We listened, we designed and then we tested. The new Genesis 998 Turbo engine is a product of our dedication to bringing the most advanced, high performance engines to the snowmobile industry. With more horsepower than any production engine in the history of our performance-obsessed sport, we are confident when we say the Sidewinder has the Power to Satisfy. Combine that with Yamaha’s fanatical dedication to durability and reliability, and we are doubly confident when we tell you that the Sidewinder will deliver Round-Trip Reliability.
Everything about the Sidewinder’s engine is pure Yamaha engineering—from the intake, to the large-finned intercooler to the spec of the high tech IHI ceramic bearing turbo unit to the high tech engine management system to the exhaust. Our master engine engineers engineered this engine from a blank sheet to give you the performance you would expect from a Yamaha turbo sled. The side-mounted turbo unit allows short pressure tubes for razor-sharp response. Our triple throttle bodies are a first in production turbo engines, regardless of industry. Not even the exotic car manufacturers go to this length to deliver crisp, right-now performance!

We have staked our reputation on quality, durability and reliability—more commonly referred to as Yamaha Quality. The 998 Turbo engine package carries a full suite of features to ensure you have a great day on the snow and a fun night when you reach your destination. We use our advanced nine-sensor engine management system to control fuel flow for maximum performance, but it also incorporates a knock sensor to adjust ignition timing and even manifold pressure if the need should arise. We developed the crank and rods to handle the amazingly high torque load of the 998 Turbo. We even redesigned the oil tank for optimal oil flow when the Sidewinder’s nose is elevated.

Yamaha has well over a decade of experience in harnessing the unique power delivery of a high performance four stroke engine. For the hyper performance Sidewinder, we have developed a new YSRC roller secondary system to deliver aggressive upshifting while also backshifting quickly to keep you in the power. In addition, we slightly upsized the new secondary to overshift and let the Sidewinder stretch its legs on a long lake run.

From intake to exhaust, and through the driveline, the new Sidewinder is engineered by Yamaha to deliver the Power to Satisfy, with Roundtrip Reliability!
High Tech Turbo
The Nickel alloy turbine body is extremely strong and precise, able to withstand highly elevated temperatures. Supported by premium, ceramic ball bearings, the Inconel turbine blade assembly is very light and strong. This yields a low moment of inertia for lightening quick response to exhaust gas input.
]Connecting Rod
Special, light weight, hardened carburized steel connecting rod design has the optimum strength required to produce maximum power. This new turbo-specific rod design uses nutted studs to join the close-tolerance, machined-faced big end. The rods are also treated with a special Defric coating for cold start protection, to ensure long life and maximum reliability.
Mitsubishi® ECU
The Yamaha-developed Mitsubishi® ECU uses a series of 9 sensors to gather running condition data and computes using its predetermined memory ‘map’. It then adjusts ignition timing, fuel delivery, manifold air-pressure and turbo boost pressure to produce maximum performance - reliably.
Forged Pistons
The forged aluminum pistons are formed without melting the original aluminum stock, so they retain the strength of the original solidification structure, which enables the design of a lighter piston. The forging process also allows Yamaha to control material thickness to reduce weight by eliminating unnecessary material while still maintaining high strength. A form optimized scraper ring provides maximum protection against oil consumption and blow-by.
Piston Cooler
The Genesis Turbo engine features a unique piston cooling system. Oil is sprayed directly at the underside of the pistons through special jets to help cool and lubricate them. Cooling the pistons helps ensure maximum reliability from this premium, ultimate performance Yamaha engine.
Triple Throttle Bodies
Yamaha engineers wanted to develop a turbo so smooth and so quick to respond that it doesn’t feel like a conventional turbo. One of the ways they achieved their goal was to develop the intake system using three separate throttle bodies instead of just one— something that is not seen in any other production turbo on the planet. And another first for Yamaha with the Genesis turbo.
]Exhaust Manifold
Yamaha engineers designed a unique cast steel 3 into 1 manifold to precisely match the chassis and turbo mounting layout to help create the shortest path possible to the turbine. This compact component is connected to the turbine by a short, vibration-isolating tube. This results in exhaust energy being transferred very efficiently to the turbine for instant response to the slightest throttle input.

Wow!!!! New ECU,new oil tank, new bigger roller secundery,stronger rods,crank,pistions,Piston Cooler a unique piston cooling system. Oil is sprayed directly at the underside of the pistons through special jets to help cool and lubricate them. +++++

This is aweysome :)

12798861_10153454579622947_3055387433744221153_n.jpg 12803087_10153454579667947_6380680400950067159_n.jpg 12814531_10153454579712947_6790370040747403847_n.jpg 12799336_1353572601335936_4656784707883945834_n.jpg 12768185_10153454580052947_5364470313091730225_o.jpg 12819387_10153454580012947_1473767912947987105_o.jpg 701985_10153454579777947_4324417505838080854_o.jpg vlcsnap-2016-03-01-10h28m58s747.jpg vlcsnap-2016-03-01-10h29m15s416.jpg

Last edited:
Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
--The ProClimb chassis is up to date, already lightweight, very durable, best engine cooling configuration with short and front cooler, can handle many different engine types, and can handle 3 inch+ tracks with ease....best factory suspension out there and best handling in the deep also...ride a '16, or better yet a '17 and you'll see for yourself...

How much have they changed from the '15 to 16 and 17? Because when I rode my brothers 15, it was like dry humping a hot brick. I'm by no means a 'great' rider, but I do pretty good for a flat-lander. Unless you were in freshies all day, it was terrible to control. And over-heat? Again, unless you had snow up to the boards, you better have scratchers down and kicking up dust, cause the overheat light came on in about a 1/2 mile. Just my experience. Hope that's different now. And that's what has me hesitant on going back to blue.

Last edited:

highspeed427

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
How much have they changed from the '15 to 16 and 17? Because when I rode my brothers 15, it was like dry humping a hot brick. I'm by no means a 'great' rider, but I do pretty good for a flat-lander. Unless you were in freshies all day, it was terrible to control. And over-heat? Again, unless you had snow up to the boards, you better have scratchers down and kicking up dust, cause the overheat light came on in about a 1/2 mile. Just my experience. Hope that's different now. And that's what has me hesitant on going back to blue.

As far as handling, the 16 is night a day better than the 15. the 16 has the same front end as is pictured on that 17. it's adjustable from 34.5-38.5. I have mine set at 36. I'm riding a dealer installed mpi turbo 163 le. I also have a 13, m800 with all the 16 updates and many light weight parts installed. The viper's weight is noticable but not to the point of removing the fun of riding. the Horespower is awesome and makes up for it in fun factor. I can ride trees but it is more difficult than the cat. It is not like the Old nytro where you just couldn't ride trees without hitting the trees or losing the sled.

As for your heating issue. i had heating issues at the begging. i found a hose that was kinked under the hood due to poor installation of the turbo kit by the dealer. after taking it back they fixed it and now i have ridding over 500 miles with no issues. many days i'm the only one that doesn't heat amongst our group of cat, skidoo, polaris, and me on the only yamaha.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

If the air pressures in the shocks were not in the ballpark of being right, it can make a good sled handle like crap. Not saying that his setup was wrong, but I've seen it before. If a sled is heating like that, there's something wrong.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Man you yami guys should be drooling.

A few things I've noticed from the pictures above:

1. The track, what is going on there? Paddles seem very short?
2. Same boards, but one call to B&M Fab and that's taken care of
3. Steering post maybe different, have they done away with the tri-pod?
4. The plastic (fit and finish) look leaps and bounds better.
5. The color combo looks badazz!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing everything tonight. Just from the few photos, I'm getting excited about the new plastic. I love my 16 Cat but hate the plastic and how the side panels work.

I've also heard there has been some great improvements in the rear skid. We will see!!!!!!!

A
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
I for one do not believe this is yamahas big news if it is it's a huge let down.

It certainly is the big news. They have a long tradition of overhyping and under delivering. Another heavy *** YamaCat tank. Hopefully Arctic Cat has something new. The Polaris release was something of a let down.

I don't know what they are thinking? The percentage of riders interested in a heavy turbo sled is so small that they will never climb out of 4th place in sales. After seeing all the problems the 1100T and Viper has had being a turbo in the Pro-cross chassis, I'd be amazed that anyone would be excited about version 3 in the same chassis.

Last edited:
Premium Features