• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Entry Level D-SLR cameras

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
thats some good advice right there, I have had the JVC's the Hewlett Packards point and shoots and so on, but the canon cameras I have had have always far exceeded those in picture quality.

W
Sep 23, 2005
Calgary, AB
Bump back to the top...

What did you decide on?

I've made up my mind that a DSLR is going to be my Christmas present to me.

I had narrowed it down to the Canon 40D, the Nikon D90, or the Nikon D200.

I like the features of the Canon, and I also like the price.

The D200 is a SWEET camera, but it's also major $$$. The D90 seems like a great camera, and it's a DSLR that shoots HD video - I could see that having some really cool applications.

I'll be using it primarily for shots of my kids, landscapes, vacations, etc... but I'd also like it to be rugged enough that I can take it sledding or on a fishing trip without having to be super paranoid I'm going to wreck it.

Any suggestions much appreciated. If you've got a DSLR along those lines you're looking to sell, send me a PM.

Thanks,

Waxy

P.S. I recently bought an Olympus 1030SW that I thought would be the last camera I bought for a long time, however, I haven't been real happy with the focus speed and accuracy or the overall quality of the pictures. I guess it's going to become my "knockaround" camera...

dsp81

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2005
If you aren't opposed, you can pick up used equipment for much less than retail. Fred Miranda is an excellent source for used equipment: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

You can pick up a used D200 for around $700. Like this one: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/713629

All 3 cameras are good - I would recommend deciding on which lenses suit your needs and then purchase the system you like. Canon glass tends to be a little cheaper than Nikkor glass.

K
Don't you guys find the shutter speed and and response time from when you press the shutter button to the actual time of captioning too slow with point and shoots?
I have a Canon Powershot A540 and the shutter response time is awful. The movie mode works great but I need shutter speed for action shots.:camera:

Don't you guys find the shutter speed and and response time from when you press the shutter button to the actual time of captioning too slow with point and shoots?
I have a Canon Powershot A540 and the shutter response time is awful. The movie mode works great but I need shutter speed for action shots.:camera:

I have a PwerShot SD870 IS.
The Shutter response time is quick and sequential shots are possible but not near the frame rate as a good DSLR. It is easy to use however, yields very nice image detail and quality, is very easy to carry and not too expensive.
Also, with a third party software installed on the SD card, it's also possible to shot in RAW format for those who like more control on the post production side in Photoshop.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd870is.asp

We use Canon's both professionally and for personal use. *Personal opinion allert * Our DSLR's and "L" series lenses are weather proof but are also more tedious to deal with. Our investment in the gear means that we also are much more concerned about how we pack and use it. If your goal is to specifically go out and shoot photography, DSLR's are great, you have the potential to get the best results. If your goal is to go riding and take some pictures as well, a good point and shoot might get you good results without impacting your riding time adversely.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I used to take the p&s all the time. Then I got a digital rebel for free and the difference is amazing. With the p&s I'd have to time the shot. The first time I used the rebel I timed it thinking it was going to lag. Ended up getting the beginning of the jump instead of the airtime shot. They are so much faster and the picture quality is amazing.

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
The more I started researching DSLR cameras online (dpreview.com) the more I became drawn to the Nikon D300 and Canon 40D. Reality hit me quickly when I went to the store and held them. They are way too big, too heavy, too expensive, and that's just for the body. The caliber of lenses you buy for those cameras also cost and weigh a ton. We ended up with a Rebel XSi. It is way more practicle for a first DSLR and it still takes great pictures, its very fast, its way smaller and lighter, and costs much less. We have the 18-55 and 55-300mm lenses and are very happy with them, despite being the kit lenses which are not highly regarded. Once again with the lenses, way lighter and less expensive.

If you don't need to throw it in a pack then these things don't matter too much. For us it was the deal breaker.

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2007
My .02

I use a Kodak P712. Level just below SLR I would think. Great lens, plus programme modes for drive settings. All the adjustments I could want. Great battery life ( Li-Ion ), 2 years old now with allot of pounding. Awesome pics. I think if I spent the money on a DSLR I wouldn't take it sledding :beer;

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
what I found out most when I bought my DSLR is that the camera body is the cheapest part of the camera, and the first part that would be replaced. Its the lenses that you want to focus on, you want to get a few good quick lenses for your purposes, these can run into the thousands of dollars but a cheaper entry level camera ie Canon Digital Rebel XT or XTI or even the new XTS with a good lense ie the 17-85 IS will outperform the Canon 40D with a lesser lense in my experience. Those lenses are almost always compatible with newer camera bodies they come out with, canon lenses from 10 years ago on the old film cameras still work with todays new digital SLR, so you want to focus on getting good lenses, and replace the camera body every few years because the lenses will last a lifetime and its the most important part to what kind of quality photographs you get.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Merritt, BC
i run with the D80. Great camera, tons of used lenses out there on ebay as well. i have an 18-70mm, 12-24mm, and a 70-200mm. that is a lot to pack out with me but if the light is good then the pictures are amazing. looking to move up to the D90 this winter. a used D40, 70, or 80 would do you just fine, but the 200 is a large body IMO. check this site as it is very good for making up your mind www.kenrockwell.com

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Well Personally after Much thought I ended up buying a high end point and shoot, The Canon G10. Very happy so far with my purchase. Supposedly not the greatest for action shots but being as all the cameras I have owned prior to this were cheap $100 cameras, Its still going to be a serious step up. I have been playing around with it and I am impressed at the quality of the photos It will take. It starts up super fast and the screen is awesome.

For me between the price of the camera body and a couple lens It started getting expensive and too bulky for what i want to do. I want to ride, When things such as packing camera gear around gets to be a bother I knew I would end up leaving it all in the truck. The canon will easily fit in my coat pocket.

Also I wanted to be able to hand the camera off to someone and say take a picture of me jumping that or whatever. No reason to hand them a DSLR and then put it in Auto mode because they don't know how to use it. Not like I know either, but I like to pretend I do.

The G10 is still adjustable like a DSLR but still easy enough anyone can use it. Video from it is decent and I'm sure it will fill my needs. If down the road I get serious, Then I will get a DSLR.

W
Sep 23, 2005
Calgary, AB
Great info and links...thanks to all.

I'm really leaning toward the Nikon D90, preferably as a body only, either new or used, and then trying to find a good deal on a used Nikon lens or two.

I do have to go down to a camera shop and put my hands them, that was really good advice.

Thanks,

Waxy

I went with the Canon Xti body with the 18-55mm package lenses, then added a Tamron 75-300mm lens. My problem (as has been stated throughout this thread) is a good safe way to carry it into backcountry. That chest pack sounds interesting, but kind of concerned with handlebar contact breaking something.

Anyway love the Canon, does all I expected and then some. Every time I've gotten a bad shot, fault was mine, not camera. Still learning all the functions and settings, what they do and how to determine which is correct for the shot I want, but learning it.

Would recommend the Xti to anyone wanting to get in under $1k and still have a good, reliable camera.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
I got an extra big camel back I use for my camera, if I know I don't need all my lenses, other wise I have a crumpler bag, although this year I'm going to look @ some of the dakine photo packs. I'd like to get a cheetah rack system so I don't have to carry it on my back. 60-80lbs of gear, a snow mo, and some ole back injuries don't go well together.

S
Jan 15, 2008
PNW
i learned with a canon rebel xti. pretty basic, i found it much easier to use at first than a nikon d40/50.

the dslr's of today are amazing, auto focus, manual focus, lenses are coming down...they're jsut simply awesome. my brother will be riding with my dad and i here and there this winter and will be taking photos, he's a professional so that should turnout good hopefully.

if anybody needs or wants any kind of photos taken (weddings, portraits, cars, sleds, snowmobiling, snowboarding...ect) his website is www.sdobbins.com

B
Feb 23, 2008
Englewood, CO
any thought's on the nikon d90??

I'm really leaning toward the Nikon D90, preferably as a body only, either new or used, and then trying to find a good deal on a used Nikon lens or two.

I thought I'd chime in here. I just purchased a D90 Body from ebay (with the microsoft live search cashback deal I got it for $700). It's a great camera. No one has talked about it... but if you're trying to decide between a d300 and d90, go with the d90 without question. It's practically the same in everyway with the exception of a little speed. But, the trade off is that you get Nikon's latest sensor and video! I don't have any shots with it yet, but they're phenomenal! The colors are fantastic.

That said, if money is any issue at all, the d40/d40x/d60 is a great option as well. If you can find them, the d40 is by far the best deal of the bunch and they're all practically identical in every way. I was shooting a d40x for the last year and it was a great entry into the dslr world; Easy to use and incredible color and speed.

Here's some shots from the d40x that were action related...and not. I don't have any hosted from sledding. :(

2535881444_32609ea94a.jpg

2337904917_a241140326_b.jpg

2272025669_99e622c615.jpg

2541565143_0449128931.jpg

Last edited:
B
Feb 23, 2008
Englewood, CO
I went with the Canon Xti body with the 18-55mm package lenses, then added a Tamron 75-300mm lens. My problem (as has been stated throughout this thread) is a good safe way to carry it into backcountry. That chest pack sounds interesting, but kind of concerned with handlebar contact breaking something.

I have the answer for you... it's the only pack you'll ever need for shooting in the backcountry with all your gear. Get it... you'll love it.

Dakine Sequence Pack

8100460_SEQUENCE_BLACK_LRG.jpg

Premium Features