• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST START OF THE SEASON?? TAKE 5 MIN AND DO AN EASY FLUSH OF THE FUEL LINES FIRST.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If your sled has been sitting since last season, with the old gas in it.

If you have not fired up your sled yet for the season...Best to drain ALL the old gas out... ALL of it.. and fill with fresh... with your fuel system cleaner of choice and some pre-mix oil... and, without starting the sled.... run the fuel pump on prime mode for about 5 minutes to flush the, pickup, pump, fuel lines, fuel rail of any varnish or sludge buildup.

The moment you fire the sled... what ever is in the lines... be it fresh gas or old gas... will be pushed through the injectors.

Priming the system leaves the injectors closed... but circulates fuel through the entire fuel system.... best to start off the season as fresh as possible. If you run the prime for a while... the first fuel the injectors will see will be as clean as possible.

Especially since the AXYS-Mtn sleds don't have any fuel filter other than the fuel-pump pickup 'sock' :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Is it really THAT important to you that you have to post this twice? :face-icon-small-con I know I'm a little OCD but you?:face-icon-small-sho

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
how do u prime the sled??

Good post from Volcano Buster... THX !

In front of the belt cover area in the side of the belly pan are a couple connectors that don't go to anything. There is a dual wire connector that can be jumped to power the in-tank fuel pump. In the photo it is the furthest white connector to the right.

I use a high output 12v transformer that I wired a connector onto that I had from some other demolition project. It will run the pump until you are happy with the amount of circulation. Don't run the pump dry.

attachment.php

Last edited:

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
So you all don't start your sled once a month and let it get up to temp , just to smell the it ?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Yep... 12 Volts Direct Current

DC=Direct Current.

You don't necessarily need the mating connector... some wire stripped bare and inserted into the connector will suffice in a pinch.. make sure that brown is the negative wire. IMO, best to put the wires into the connector and make the connection at the battery/power-supply you are using.

I prefer to use a battery, IMO, don't use a battery charger as most don't have a stable output or are too small ('tenders')

The mating connector, for those that want to know:
Molex, 03-06-2023 connector housing , 60619-1 pins

Wire colors into the pin are
Ground (-) Brown w/yellow stripe
Positive (+) Red

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Modern pump gas goes bad pretty darn quickly. Stabil or other treatments are stop-gap measures IMO...

For me, for storage, I prefer to drain all the gas out from the season and put AV Gas in the sled... and run it for a few. AV Gas is very stable for storage...a better solution, IMO, than adding storage chemicals... Plus, I like to fog the engine with fogging-oil for the off season storage... and cap the exhaust and intake to prevent moisture from entering.... but hey, thats just me... If you have a good warm storage place, the AV Gas and starting every couple of weeks is good measure.

AV gas mix with pump gas... even if it does not have ethanol in it.... just go for the 100% AV Gas IMO.

IMO=In my opinion.

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Good info MH-
Some of use don't have all that humidity - but we do drain last run gas out and refill with AV to keep whats in there stable-run it and call her good.

Excellent post and valuable information for those to prime the system without firing up the sled.

Z
Dec 28, 2014
I sucked all old gas out of my sled and filled it with fresh gas. Then fired it up to spin the track a little to check the track alignment and shutted it off, adjusted track and fired it up again but then engine died and refuses to start again.. any ideas what did i do wrong? Do i need to prime the fuel system now?

Should have readen this tread first :face-icon-small-dis

Z
Dec 28, 2014
I sucked all old gas out of my sled and filled it with fresh gas. Then fired it up to spin the track a little to check the track alignment and shutted it off, adjusted track and fired it up again but then engine died and refuses to start again.. any ideas what did i do wrong? Do i need to prime the fuel system now?

Should have readen this tread first :face-icon-small-dis

Got this fixed. Engine was just flooded and started aftet several pulls with full throttle

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Sorry but what a bunch of BS, you do not need to reinvent the wheel and drain every drop out of your sled. Each to their own with armchair mechanical engineering but at the most suck most out or tip sled on side let drain out fill with fresh and go.

Stabil helps... but is no sub for fresh gas... it still degrades. MUCH depends on the storage conditions (temp, fuel additive package, humidity etc).
Some have no problem... some have huge problems with fuel.

If you are using Stabil...use the Stabil 360... Marine... green color. http://a.co/3vEol8x

Better than the Stabil is Archoil according to a petrochem engineer friend at Chevron. (though he advocates for AV as well)
http://www.archoil.com/ar6000-fuel-treatments/

I still believe that with todays fuels... the easiest and best method for storage is to fill with AV gas... even non-ethanol pump does not compare IMO.

Just tip the sled on its side and get the most out of it you can easily...100LL... then run it for a bit.

A bit of preventative maint. can go a long way to keeping headaches away... PPPPPPP.

Last edited:
Premium Features