• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Low end power lacking on 450sxf snowbike

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I have a 2016.5 Factory Edition KTM 450 SX-F. As a dirtbike it rips everywhere. As a snowbike it rips at high RPM. Although the nature of the motor is easy roll on with explosive top end power, which is awesome, I'm suffering with the ARO 120 installed in the winter.

Anyone else have the same 17-18 450 motor and experience the same kind of bog, and rich condition choking on this bike when running a snowbike kit?

I'm good on leak down and compression, it seems to just be the nature of the engine... so before I toss a XCF cam in it, or a 490 kit in it, or build a custom 550 2T Panthera bike :) I figured I'd ask the masses if this is a regular thing with this mill of engine.

Any relevant feedback is welcome with regards to this motor and year range, thanks!

_DSC1188.jpg

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have a 2016.5 Factory Edition KTM 450 SX-F. As a dirtbike it rips everywhere. As a snowbike it rips at high RPM. Although the nature of the motor is easy roll on with explosive top end power, which is awesome, I'm suffering with the ARO 120 installed in the winter.

Anyone else have the same 17-18 450 motor and experience the same kind of bog, and rich condition choking on this bike when running a snowbike kit?

I'm good on leak down and compression, it seems to just be the nature of the engine... so before I toss a XCF cam in it, or a 490 kit in it, or build a custom 550 2T Panthera bike :) I figured I'd ask the masses if this is a regular thing with this mill of engine.

Any relevant feedback is welcome with regards to this motor and year range, thanks!
my 16.5 factory 450 will spin track from dead start in 2rd gear. 129x2.5 cmx, likely running rich?

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I think the valves and top end are a bit tired, there isn't any other explanation. Map is on the lean side of perfect a tad at sea level by plug reading. I got it used with a replaced hour meter and it was raced in pro arena cross. it said 33 hours... but i'm thinking it's closer to 200 hard hours now with my additional 80.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
My buddy with a 16 XCF kills it. He has an aro long track and we ride from 6 to 11,000 feet. He rebuilt his top end after about 130 hours with a high compression piston that he got from Jeff at PR2. He also runs the PR2 programmer. His bike rips hard.

Premium Features