• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 850 E Start $Sell$ Or ?Keep?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Don't mess with it keep it if it is on there anyway. I am always looking at weight as well, mine is a pull start.
that said if I could have only been able to get a E start I sure would not remove it.

S
Aug 18, 2008
Seattle, WA
Buy earth x ext36d battery. It weighs 3.5 lbs and is built for cold temps. Then the whole starter unit weighs 6-7 pounds. Any can will make up that weight. Make sure you order the correct charger for it also.

pol 2-3.jpg 20161109_151043.jpg

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Doing a free draw for an earthx battery on their page right now at @earthx batteries

I also do give aways on my page @davenorona , just did an abs pack, now some free pow skis and will have some great stuff from bca etc...

2mcyulx.jpg

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Buy earth x ext36d battery. It weighs 3.5 lbs and is built for cold temps. Then the whole starter unit weighs 6-7 pounds. Any can will make up that weight. Make sure you order the correct charger for it also.

Not sure what you call "cold temps" but earthx told me the coldest temps they feel confident with is -15F. That's like -26C. So I didn't bother with it. This was for a 4 stroke.. so electric start is the only option.. -15F should be fine for most guys, but not for me.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Havent had any luck with earth X at all...I run a Yusa5 or 7 and if its brutal cold just yank the rope...all day its fine on the little Yusa...save your money on the earth X...they just don't last and when they break the company doesn't stand behind there stuff...!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I would get a small Li battery and mount it under the hood where it'll stay warm while your riding and get that bulk off the back of the sled. In very cold temps you may need to pull start, but I doubt it on a 2-stroke.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I would get a small Li battery and mount it under the hood where it'll stay warm while your riding and get that bulk off the back of the sled. In very cold temps you may need to pull start, but I doubt it on a 2-stroke.

This issue with them going to sleep never happens once the battery has started. It is upon first start in the morning. I have had this happen 2 times in 5 years...with earthx you just hold button down for 8 seconds wait 30 secs and it starts. Keeping it up front wont help this as it is just as cold in your engine compartment before you start your sled. and you wont notice the weight at the back of where the new summit G4 battery sits, even if you leave the stock one in there...

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador

I've had two 800etecs not start on numerous occasions because of cold temps. I had pull chords installed on both and it made no difference. If those sleds wouldn't start on electric start then they needed to be warmed up.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
With lithium-type batteries, and now doo's e-start design on the 850's, the reasons to ditch e-start are pretty thin. You can jump sled batteries, too, you know, worst case cold start with no recoil.

FWIW, I had a great experience with Earth-X on a 36C battery failure last year. Best warranty service I've had around sleds. Should the battery have failed is another issue, but they stood behind it, at least the first time. JMPE. We'll see...

Premium Features